Tangs in a 90g

steveoutlaw

I'm planning on having the following tangs in my 90g:

1 Sailfin tang (Zebrasoma desjardinii)

1 Powder Blue Tang (Acanthurus leucosternon)

1 Yellow Tang (Zebrasoma flavescens)

1 Blue Eye Kole Tang (Ctenochaetus binotatus)

Does anyone see a problem with this(other than the 2 Zebramosas establishing a little dominance)?

2 of the four tangs listed get to be a foot or more.

I'm going to have to study up more on tangs - I didn't know any got that big

the sailfin he mentioned reaches 18" full grown. the powder blue gets to about a foot full grown

Those are some big centerpiece fish!

4 tangs might be a bit too much but 3 should be fine. I find that it take a while to reach that size of 12" or more maybe they never will.

In my 90g, I have 2 tangs, 1 butterfly, 1 angel and it work out great. im planning to add maybe 1 more sometime in the future.

Tangs do grow to be a foot or more, in the ocean. In a tank their growth depends on the size of your tank. A tang in a 180g will grow larger than a tang in a 90g.

True, but that isn't to say it is fair to the animal. A fish too big for a tank may stop growing, but its organs usually do not. Usually fish kept in environments that are too small do not reach their full life expectancy.

Tangs do grow to be a foot or more, in the ocean. In a tank their growth depends on the size of your tank. A tang in a 180g will grow larger than a tang in a 90g.

That explains it!

I must have grown up with a lower bedroom ceiling height than my brothers were in, since they both have 6 inches on me.

I'm planning fish for my 96 gall tank and from what I read you should introduce them all at the same time or immediately after a restructure so the well established fish doesn't bully the newbie.

Edited by Larry Grenier

That explains it!

I must have grown up with a lower bedroom ceiling height than my brothers were in, since they both have 6 inches on me.

lol :biggrin:

I have to lean towards the 6 foot for the big tangs as well- I have a powder blue and hippo in a 150G high, but it is still a 2x4 box and the powder blue while very healthy is a bit stir crazy after more than 3 years. Ok how do I define stir crazy- he has picked up the habit in the last few months of charging both ends of the tank and spashing water out. I found so much water on the floor and thought where is this leak coming from? But then realized it was just his splashing and had to place a towel on the floor for a while when he was being persistant. The blue Hippo which is the same size does not seem to be worried at all and is very calm. I would say they are both in the 7-8 inch range. The powder blue is calm most of the time- Phase he was going through?

Can anyone say upgrade?

Only if the one in the 90g gets sick and dies before reaching its full size.

True, but that isn't to say it is fair to the animal . . . . Usually fish kept in environments that are too small do not reach their full life expectancy.

I agree. I think the "fish only grow to the size of the tank" idea is a myth spread mostly by people trying to sell fish. A lot of freshwater newbies buy plecos and oscars for their 10-20g tanks thinking the same thing (not that I personally know anyone who has ever done that :blush: ).

A lot of freshwater newbies buy plecos and oscars for their 10-20g tanks thinking the same thing (not that I personally know anyone who has ever done that :blush: ).

Great example. I've seen plecos 3 feet long. Yet, this has never stopped me from buying one, and keeping him until he is too big, and then trading/selling/eating him. I consider that a completely acceptable manner of fishkeeping. Others disagree, to each their own.

I have to lean towards the 6 foot for the big tangs as well- I have a powder blue and hippo in a 150G high, but it is still a 2x4 box and the powder blue while very healthy is a bit stir crazy after more than 3 years. Ok how do I define stir crazy- he has picked up the habit in the last few months of charging both ends of the tank and spashing water out. I found so much water on the floor and thought where is this leak coming from? But then realized it was just his splashing and had to place a towel on the floor for a while when he was being persistant. The blue Hippo which is the same size does not seem to be worried at all and is very calm. I would say they are both in the 7-8 inch range. The powder blue is calm most of the time- Phase he was going through?

Can anyone say upgrade?

Lee - There's always that 1000 gallon tank in the FS/FT forum for you. The PBT would be loving life then!!

I've changed direction a little bit. I am now thinking about going with a Powder Brown Tang, Purple Tang, and Kole tang.