flowerseller's 400g system

Sorry to get off topic....But how would you know your RBTA is okay needing more light or it starving? I just recently started feeding my RBTA one small salad shrimp a week. Will this help him grow. I noticed his tenitcles getting fuller and puffier in the last few days. What are good tips and tricks to keeping them healthy and bright red?

Edited by reefmontalvo

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so long as you aren't using any dressing on the salad shrimp it's fine unless it' selcon.

I feed mine silversides when I feed them.

I also do not use dressing on them. :biggrin:

Chip

I've been gone tooo long. These are Fantastic. I tried Mangroves once and failed miserably, Like you I like the look of them so I may ask for help once everything is back up.

Chris

why dont you post some new pics of the tank?

so long as you aren't using any dressing on the salad shrimp it's fine unless it' selcon.

I feed mine silversides when I feed them.

I also do not use dressing on them. :biggrin:

Funny you say that. I'm pretty sure what we find tasty they find to be nasty tasting. LOL

Oh and I placed a GTBA on the other side of the tank and the clowns are all over it. But I happen to make them aware of the anemone by placing them in a breeder tnak with the thing. Do you think they will eventually find the Rose and paly with it?

carefull i know where you live! :biggrin:

Wow first time seeing your thread. What an enjoyable thread to look through. Beautifull setup. I have a couple of questions.

Someone mentioned about their anemonies turning brown. I have a bunch in one tank and they all seem to be doing well and are pretty large bubble tips without the bubbles but they are all more or less brown. Any suggestions or thoughts as to why that might happen.

AS to the mangroves. I would love to grow a bunch of them. You mentioned

"I'm a plant guy. The mangroves are because I like them.

Mangroves are WAY over rated for water quality purposes, usually by those selling them on ebay.

Still, I hope eveyone buys them because they're cool,

A few simple precuations need to be taken for long term success.

BRK often has them for sale"

What simple precations are needed?

Dave,

The "brown" thing was a "G" joke. Sometimes they can open smaller for a new home than they do in the Afarm but after a few weeks in it, they grow well.

So far as the mangroves.

They're much better sprouted in SW or transitioned from FW to SW carefully. They sprout faster in FW because they do not have to convert it like they do SW.

In captivity, they can get, mealy bug, white scale, aphids, powdery mildew and a few other pests.

They can, and should, be rinsed periodically by splashing SW up the stalks but rinsing stalks in FW is not needed. Dust, they can collect it, and leaves should be wiped from time to time. If, you get very strong light over them, they should be fertilized via leaf absorbtion monthly.

Hmmmm......I currently run T-5's on mytank. When I switch to MH what are some tips that are usefull? Will I need to place some sort of light filter on the tank till they adjust and how long does it take for the anemone to adjust. Also Do the anemones fight as in when they see one of another color will they have a toxic warfare in the tank?

If the anemone is directly from me, it was grown under 14K - 250w MH in 12" of water with the light 12" from the surface. It will move to meet it's own requirements and even test out ones it finds it doesn't like.

I find the best advise I can give is for the keeper to relax and not over think it.

So where are my pictures? :hammer:

haha funny man

Dave,

The "brown" thing was a "G" joke. Sometimes they can open smaller for a new home than they do in the Afarm but after a few weeks in it, they grow well.

**This portion has been deleted as to not offend anybody**

Abundant money can not buy everything and proof is, experience in this hobby. Nothing looks good color under CW tubes, except white.

So far as the mangroves.

They're much better sprouted in SW or transitioned from FW to SW carefully. They sprout faster in FW because they do not have to convert it like they do SW.

In captivity, they can get, mealy bug, white scale, aphids, powdery mildew and a few other pests.

They can, and should, be rinsed periodically by splashing SW up the stalks but rinsing stalks in FW is not needed. Dust, they can collect it, and leaves should be wiped from time to time. If, you get very strong light over them, they should be fertilized via leaf absorbtion monthly.

lol i thought this wa me at first... :biggrin: but i havnt got any anemones from you yet. and i call myself bozo sometimes...hence the cunfusion :eek: but i do want to buy one...but my moved tanbk has only been up for about 4 months...so i need to wait..i think for precautionary measures.

btw i like mangroves too.... cowrie(bob) set up a neat lookin mangrove tank that sat in one of his bay windows and he was going to plumb to it...but i forgot to ask him about it last time i seen him or tamie.

• 4 months later...

The "fish dude" finally had his way with my tank on Sunday.

Looks like there's going to be a bunch of 18yd, (rock that is) on the market after Xmas.

Between the awesome rock from Aquaco and the discriminating eye of the rock artiest, ROBZ, the tanks a bunch more open and the foot prints about 250# lighter.

iDusty phone photo till it all settles and I finish cleaning up and putting back the rest of the frags and SMALL colonies.

photo.jpg

I have gotten rid of all my huge coral colonies and clams.

It's like a whole new tank.

wow, you should get a really big clam or really big pagoda for that new aquacape!

I have a frag from the last pogada so one day.

BTW dougbug, can you come take some pics for me? :biggrin: