What's your most expensive fish in your tank?

davelin315

Mine is my blenny.

20000KLights004.jpg

The reason why he's the most expensive fish in my tank is not because of how much I paid for him, but how much he has cost me... I paid about $15 for him, but I now can attribute one crocea death to him as I watched him eat the byssal gland of one of my clams by tilting it back and then attacking it, between 10-15 snails (mixture between turbos and margaritas), and probably a mandarin as well whose death was blamed on a gorilla crab who doesn't seem quite as suspect anymore...

End cost, somewhere in the neighborhood of $80-$100 so far... here's to him finally getting comfortable enough to go into my fish trap instead of just sticking his head in there to have a bite to eat.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've had quite a time with that guy, Dave! I didn't know any blennies could be so destructive.

None of my fish has caused damage so I can only go by cash cost, which would be about 30 bucks for the little yellow tang who is still in the qt due to go big time by the end of the week.

Edited by treesprite

I don't have them anymore but the most expensive fish for me would have to be the 2 dwarf puffers I bought for the kids a few years ago for about $6 each. I placed them in a 10g tank with a few small community fish and watched as they immediately began terrorizing everything in the tank. I did some quick research and found that these were not dwarf puffers (freshwater) after all. They were green spotted puffers that are not community fish, start off in freshwater but need full saltwater and about 30g of swimming room each as they mature!

This discovery led to purchasing a 55g tank and skimmer, eventually upgrading the 55g to a 75g, purchasing a better skimmer, then getting rid of the puffers and converting everything to reef. So I guess you could say that two $6 puffers actually cost me several thousand dollars!

well it would have been my trio of hooded wrasses but an ich outbreak this week made short work of them and all but four fish in my tank so i am almost back to square one. i won my first battle with ich and lost my second. this is a tough a hobby :blush:

My most expensive single fish was my lineatus wrasse... male... I paid $179 for him... Expensive I know, but I knew I wanted him.

pictured here:

lineatus_male07.jpg

I was going to say my Potter's Angel. After reading Dave's post though, I'd have to say the Candy Hogfish. He was only about $40, but has dispatched a cleaner shrimp, four peppermints, and several nassarius and tipped-over snails. :(

Tracy

I have a mystery wrasse I paid $250 wholesale. I got him when they were impossible to possess. Today you can buy them retail for less then I paid wholesale.

George

$250 for a 'pair' of Watanabe Angels 4 years ago.

I lost the male this weekend. He was a good fish, and a leader in the tank. He will be missed by his posse....

W2.jpg

:why:

Edited by Leishman

I lost the male this weekend. He was a good fish, and a leader in the tank. He will be missed by his posse....

Bummer! What happened???

Is a fish tank like a dog pack? Like, when an "alpha" dies do they posture for "top dog" until a leader is decided? :)

Tracy

My tank is small and I don't have many expesnive fish the most expensive is probably a false perc at 26.99 anyway thats all:)

Is this a list so you know whose home to fish burgle? Or are you just trying to get people to incriminate themselves in front of their spouses?????

Edited by Kengar

I don't have them anymore but the most expensive fish for me would have to be the 2 dwarf puffers I bought for the kids a few years ago for about $6 each. I placed them in a 10g tank with a few small community fish and watched as they immediately began terrorizing everything in the tank. I did some quick research and found that these were not dwarf puffers (freshwater) after all. They were green spotted puffers that are not community fish, start off in freshwater but need full saltwater and about 30g of swimming room each as they mature!

This discovery led to purchasing a 55g tank and skimmer, eventually upgrading the 55g to a 75g, purchasing a better skimmer, then getting rid of the puffers and converting everything to reef. So I guess you could say that two $6 puffers actually cost me several thousand dollars!

Or, you could say that they are the inspiration for your saltwater addiction! You should be thanking those two little puffers, they have successfully started you down the path of no return!

:clap:

Is this a list so you know whose home to fish burgle? Or are you just trying to get people to incriminate themselves in front of their spouses?????

:clap:

That's the worst thing about credit cards with nice year end summaries... the grand total is always there at the end of the fiscal year... and Jodie always looks at it!

$250 for a 'pair' of Watanabe Angels 4 years ago.

W2.jpg

:why:

Rik, do you think that had something to do with the pH spike you had with the kalk flood?

I'm trying to picture someone fish burglaring.

And you can't miss Rik's place. Walking along his neighborhood, the basement bright blue actinic light standout his whole house in his neighborhood.

Don't know how it happened, but someone swiped one from school last year. We lost Mad Albert, the class favorite Gold Bar Maroon (the kids didn't care that Mad Albert was a female clown, they liked the name and it fit).

And you can't miss Rik's place. Walking along his neighborhood, the basement bright blue actinic light standout his whole house in his neighborhood.

hahaha thats how i tell people which house is mine if they are navegating at night!

"my house is the one with the blue!"

There's an apartment on the 3rd floor in one of the buildings in my courtyard that I keep wondering about due to the blue glow... do people use actinic for anything besides aquariums?

:) And the name of the pair is...................... Dan, Copps and Johnny will not be happy if we name those rare angels as the common one we usually see at Petco. They are special and very rare (as a pair) small angel. I can't even remember the name since it's so long and hard to pronounce even from hearing repeatedly many times. Something like a Jock similar to an athelic! :) Edited by vaironman