Jamesbuf's 92gal corner tank

Now that I got a fancy new underwater camera for Christmas, I wanted to finally post some pics of my Reef. Checkout this video first: http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n151/ja...=P1010036-1.flv

Talks a while to load, but its pretty cool to see what a waterproof camera can do underwater. Colors are a little faded, but I think its still pretty cool.

Here is my equipment list:

Two 36" VHO super actinic: on from 11am to 11pm

Two 24" T5 aquablue +: on from noon to 9:30pm

250watt Metal Halide with 10K Ushio (thanks BeltwayBandit): on from 1pm to 8pm

Grey Seas Aquatics Custom 6 skimmer (same as Standard 6, only 3" taller)

Grey Seas Aquatics Kalk Stirrer

Four Tunze 6055s on a Multicontroller

1" Seaswirl being fed by a Mag 9 pump

57watt Aqua UV sterilizer, running 24/7

Natural PVC Biodenitrator

Pic of sump and equipment:

Got naD??

P1010013.jpg

I have started renovations on my tank and have taken over the closet next to my tank. Considering this:

P1010043.jpg

is what my wiring looks like right now, I realize I might need some re-organization :blush: .

I'm moving pretty much all the equipment, along with the sump, out from underneath my tank and into the closet next door.

I also plan on a much needed re-aquascaping of the tank, so I can finally place all of my frags and isolate my anemones so they can't reach my corals. I'll post pics of all this once I'm done. For now, here are some "before" pics:

My new favorite coral, neon pink ricordia. Trust me, this camera doesn't do it justice:

P1010038.jpg

P1010037.jpg

P1010039.jpg

My humongous Riteri anemone:

P1010034.jpg

P1010032.jpg

P1010024.jpg

P1010030.jpg

My Purple LTA. I rescued this anemone and when I got this thing 2 years ago it was bleached white. I was light purple and brownish for the last year and a half, and is just now starting to really get some good purple coloring.

P1010025.jpg

My favorite fish (Golden Midas Blenny) in his hiding space:

P1010028.jpg

P1010026.jpg

Random shots:

P1010021.jpg

P1010022.jpg

P1010041.jpg

P1010040.jpg

P1010029.jpg

Thats all for now. After the renovations and aquascaping, I'm going to use my brothers SLR to get some much better shots. Anyone who hasn't taken the time to watch the video, I'd go watch it now.

Edited by jamesbuf

Very nice! That is a tank to be proud of. The ritteri is amazing. I love how the current tosses it around. Do you have your streams set to turn off (or very low) like at the end of your video, or did you use the feed timer to stop the pumps? The effect was cool either way. Do you have any problems with the maroons vs. the ocellaris? I don't know much about clowns but I thought it is generally tricky to keep multiple pairs in one tank regardless of size?

Justin

Very nice! That is a tank to be proud of. The ritteri is amazing. I love how the current tosses it around. Do you have your streams set to turn off (or very low) like at the end of your video, or did you use the feed timer to stop the pumps? The effect was cool either way. Do you have any problems with the maroons vs. the ocellaris? I don't know much about clowns but I thought it is generally tricky to keep multiple pairs in one tank regardless of size?

Justin

They are the 6055s and Roger said they really shouldn't be turned on and off a bunch. Plus they make a clicking sound at startup, unlike the large Tunzes. I use the Interval #2 and have the min on 40% and the max at 100%. Interval two never shuts the pumps off, so its randomness between minimums and maximums, depending on how the time knob it set. I like this over the Pulse because that turns on all the pumps to maximum and minimum at the same time.

I did hit the Feed Timer on the Multicontroller because I wanted to show that there is a False Perc Trio (One female and two males) inside the Riteri, and thought I would be able to capture all three without the Riteri blowing all around. They have been laying eggs for a little while, in fact I believe they are on their third or fourth batch. Free food for my tank ;)

I've never really had issues with my clowns. Not only is there a Maroon pair and the False Perc Trio, there is also a Clarkii clown pair in there as well. I've had all 3 types since my old 180 gallon, and they all had there own anemones which they mainly stuck to.They all stayed in their same anemones too. I believe the clowns had their boundaries already set in the 180, which is how I've been able to keep them in a smaller tank. I wouldn't try this with clowns that weren't familiar with each other. I really don't think it would work. Who knows though. The Clarkiis live in the purple LTA which the video doesn't show. They went into hiding once the camera went inside the water. The Maroons like to stay in the RBTAs. You can't tell, but there are 4 of them in there, along with the GBTA I got from Raf this weekend.

Thanks for all the complements everyone. More to come in a couple days.

• 1 month later...

Thanks everyone.

wow thats a ton of rock james, do you find you have to target feed that sun coral daily?

I do have alot of rock in there. I will re-aquascape eventually and probably pull some of the rock out to make room for corals. I have moved all my equipment into the closet next door, so there is nothing under the main tank anymore. Makes maintenance a breeze. No more hunched over and squeezing into the stand to get stuff. I love it. Here is a pic showing the stand and equipment inside the closet:

P2180067.jpg

It'll be a little less crowded when I only have one skimmer up and running. So far I have a Ca reactor installed but not actually running yet, a Korallin sulfur denitrator, GSA Kalk Stirrer (on the floor next to the sump so not in the pic), 57watt Aqua UV sterilizer, and a 40gal breeder sump with a Mag 9 return pump.

Looks great James. I cant believe you have all those clowns in there. I guess that just proves that you never know how these fish will react in a tank until you have them in there.

• 6 months later...

Man, I've neglected this thread.

So I looked next to my purple LTA and noticed my Clarkii clowns have finally layed some eggs. My false perc trio in the Riteri have layed more times that I can count, but this is the first for the Clarkiis. Here are some picsL

P9090179.jpg

P9090178.jpg

P9090177.jpg

I also finally got my Vortechs back from their upgrade at Ecotech. Here is a video of what two Vortechs can accomplish in my tank. Just to warn you, I spilled a couple gallons of water during a water change today, and had a couple room circulator fans running near the tank to help dry it up, so the video is kinda noisy. I'd mute it so the noise doesn't bother you.

th_P9090180.jpg

Pretty crazy to compare the pics in the beginning of this thread, and see that my purple LTA has easily quadrupled in size.

I'm going to be redoing some things in the next few days, including installing Chris Thomas' old frag tank inside my equipment closet, specifically to house my ever-growing Riteri and clown trio. It just takes up waaaay too much space in my tank and has stung and killed way too many corals. Maybe some re-aquascaping once the Riteri is out of the main tank, and placing all my ricordea on the rockwork now that they've fully attached to their frag discs. Also going to place my zooanthids, just not sure where. Also switching from the large Lumenbright reflector with two mini Lumenbrights, both with Radium 20K bulbs inside. Also will be installing my redesigned manifold and external pump which will run everything with one pump.

I'll be taking pics of the before and after and will update in a couple days.

That's some serious water movement!!! and that purple LTA is huge! hope to see the scaping! great tank

The crazy thing is that I can get almost as much water movement out of just one pump. Adding the second pump gets the wave another cm or two higher. Having the second pump also allows me to get that size wave without have to run the pumps at 100%. Both only run around 75% at peak to get that size wave.