Q and A why PE Mysis is better for you fish than reg. Mysis.

Aquarium One

My clowns & dottyback are not as interested in it as they are the homemade frozen blend, and the new fish in QT won't eat it, so it's not any more helpful for me than any other frozen food.

I am assuming that it is higher in nutrition. Most of my fish are not super interested in PE, they eat or pick at it but not with the gusto of the other foods. :why:

My red spotted blenny and target mandarin go crazy for the PE. This is the first frozen food that they will all eat and I feed all sorts of frozen food to my other fish. Great stuff.

Edited by djcerna

i guess a general question is why does it cost more than regular mysis. does it cost more to produce it or what? thanx

-> I think it's fairly well documented PE mysis are more palatable to picky eaters. Of course, not every fish will eat them, but in my own experience with picky eaters (mandarin and diamond goby who wouldn't eat ANYTHING else), they go right after it.

-> Isn't $29.99 for 40oz a pretty competitive price for most mysis? (I know you can get the huge bricks of jehmco cheaper...but have to mail order them, and the bricks are huge...I prefer to pick it up at the LFS)

-> If they are a tad on the pricey side...it's like anything else...you get what you pay for. Nothing of exceptional quality should be expected to be cheap. When folks have a known superior product, it's normal for them to be more expensive. Just look at deltec skimmers, eheim pumps...

Heck, here's a guy talking about how his ricordias eat PE (and no other) mysis...with interesting pics: LINK

tim

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

-> Isn't $29.99 for 40oz a pretty competitive price for most mysis? LINK

tim

If I hadn't already gotten 5.5 kilos of mysis from Jehmco, I'd think that price is pretty reasonable. 40oz is about 2.4lbs right? Not bad at all really. It should last at least 3 months right, so $10/month is pretty reasonable.

One big thing about Jehmco is that I don't think they are certified to be sterile. Correct me if I'm wrong, but PE mysis are supposed to be sterile right? I soak my mysis for an hour or so in RO water before I feed, just to be sure. Thats long enough to kill anything that might be traveling right?

On a side note, once my mysis from Jehmco are gone, I will definitely consider buying the PE from AO.

40 oz = 2.5 lb exactly

The jehmco stuff is 5.5 pound, not kilo I believe (5.5 kilo would be over 12 pounds)

I do not believe PE are claimed to be sterile. They say they collect them and flash freeze them while still alive (ow). The claim is that they are less likely to transfer disease to saltwater fish since they are a freshwater shrimp (which I am not sure about personally).

I'm also not sure if soaking in RO for an hour kills anything, especially since whatever might there probably likes RO because the shrimp are collected from freshwater. I'd have to believe being frozen would be pretty rough on pathogens, though. I'm just guessing here though.

I totally agree about the "better look". I've seen frozen mysis that were basically frozen mush before. I recall the seahorse guy mentioning it was important for the mysis to have both eyes intact for the seahorses to feed on them.

I thaw chunks of mysis in a baggie (no RO) and drain the few drops of liquid before feeding my tank. I can definitely state that the liquid from reconstituted PE looks and smells much less nasty than from any other mysis I have tried (including jehmco).

Just FYI: The $29.99 price is what Exotic Aquatics was selling them for when I bought 10 last month for a GB. I'm looking forward to unloading them at the meeting...my freezer is really full :)

just my .02

tim

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

40 oz = 2.5 lb exactly

The jehmco stuff is 5.5 pound, not kilo I believe (5.5 kilo would be over 12 pounds)

I do not believe PE are claimed to be sterile. They say they collect them and flash freeze them while still alive (ow). The claim is that they are less likely to transfer disease to saltwater fish since they are a freshwater shrimp (which I am not sure about personally).

I'm also not sure if soaking in RO for an hour kills anything, especially since whatever might there probably likes RO because the shrimp are collected from freshwater. I'd have to believe being frozen would be pretty rough on pathogens, though. I'm just guessing here though.

Ahhhh, gotcha. For some reason I thought the Jemco was 5 kilos. Looking again, you're right. I just remembered being surprized at the massive size of the block when I picked it up.

Completely forgot that mysis were freshwater shrimp. I know from my patho class that freezing does not kill all pathogens, wheter it be bacterial, virus, or fungal. It kills most, because as we know water expands as it freezes so it lyses the pathogen cells, but not always. I was soaking it in RO water in hopes of killing saltwater pathogens since they would absorb the excess water and burst. Now I know I can stop doing this.

So what is a good way to sterilize the mysis?? Microwave for a few seconds?? 15 seconds should kill most anything living right?? Either that or create a new mutant breed of superbug.

how much are the 40oz packs from AO. i was there the other day but i forgot. hard to find the larger packs of pe mysis but i will agree that my fish like it more than the jemco stuff. so once i am done i will switch to pe exclusively

how much are the 40oz packs from AO. i was there the other day but i forgot. hard to find the larger packs of pe mysis but i will agree that my fish like it more than the jemco stuff. so once i am done i will switch to pe exclusively

Last price I heard was $35.99. $6 more, but convenient to not have to order 10. When my 2 40s are gone I'll probably start buying from AO unless EA starts stocking it regularly.

I hope I don't get confused between my 40s of PE and my 40s of Schlitz.

tim

The block from Jehmco is the same species (M. relicta) and is collected in the same lakes as PE. If you don't want the full 2.5 kilos from Jehmco, some stores sell smaller chunks in bulk.

Interested factoid on Mysis: In the 1960's and early '70's, Mysis relicta was introduced into a variety of Canadian (and other) arctic and subarctic lakes to enhance the food availability for salmonid fishes, especially Artic Grayling. Well, nobody bothered to check the diurnal cycles of the Mysis. In fact, Mysis are nocturnal and spend daylight hours in the deep bottoms of these lakes where the fish are not hunting. At night when the fish go to sleep, the Mysis rise up to the surface and obliterate the native zoo and phytoplankton. Even worse, the game/food fish don't prefer Mysis to their normal diet...

Oops!

Now a variety of companies producing fish foods for the aquarium industry are being paid to remove Mysis from the lakes. Then we pay to buy the food from them...

A fishy business indeed.

THE MAIN REASONS WHY PE MYSIS IS MORE EXPENSIVE AND FISH SEEM TO LIKE IT SO MUCH IS DUE TO A COUPLE OF REASONS...

PE MYSIS COMES FROM FRESHWATER GLACIAL LAKES IN CANADA AND IS TOTALLY FREE OF SALT UNLIKE OTHER MYSIS ON THE MARKET. SINCE SALTWATER FISH ARE CONSTANTLY TRYING TO EXPEL SALT FROM THEIR BODY, THIS FOOD HELPS THEM WITH THIS PROCESS. ALSO, THIS FOOD IS STILL ALIVE WHILE IT IS FLASH FROZEN. THIS KEEPS IT IN A STATE OF FRESHNESS AND WHOLE PIECES UNLIKE OTHER FROZEN MYSIS, WHICH IS USUALLY CHOPPED UP AND WATERED DOWN. SHIPPING ALSO HAS A LOT TO DUE WITH THE HIGHER PRICE, DUE TO IT BEING OVERNIGHTED FROM BRITISH COLUMBIA CANADA.

I KNOW THAT EVERYONE WANTS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL AND HEALTHIEST FISH. TO ACHIEVE THIS YOU CAN'T BE CONCERNED WITH A FEW DOLLARS MORE TO GET SUPERIOR PRODUCTS.

THANKS,

AQUARIUM ONE

Let me preface this by saying that I use PE mysis, and like it. Big, fresh, and my jawfish love it. Hikari is also very good, and the shrimp are also intact, but they are smaller.

I have never heard about marine foods stressing SW fish, and would love to see some data in that regard. Given that the fish are soaking in saltwater and constantly pumping salt out through their gills, I would think that what little comes in with the food would be inconsequential.

More importantly, though, the fatty acids in FW animals are different from those in those from marine environments. Exclusive use of FW shrimp as food will ultimately cause liver damage to your fish. For example, Jorge Gomezjurado at Draco uses PE mysis almost exclusively for his seahorses, but supplements with HUFAs.

The block from Jehmco is the same species (M. relicta) and is collected in the same lakes as PE. If you don't want the full 2.5 kilos from Jehmco, some stores sell smaller chunks in bulk.

Any idea why the differences between Jehmco and PE?

One clear difference is that Jehmco mysis are larger than PE.

I guess Jehmco's harvesting techniques must differ from PE's. Also the "meltwater" from Jehmco is different then PE, as I mentioned above.

How they start with the same lakes and end up with a noticeably different product seems strange to me.

Thanks for the history, that is pretty amusing.

tim

I'm looking forward to unloading them at the meeting...my freezer is really full :)

Nov 10 is coming soon tim! Thanks

I feed both as well. PE mostly for the size compared to Jehmco. And I agree, sometimes picky fish will go for that and not other mysis. But I wonder about this salt expelling thing as well.