ANOTHER GLASS CAGES AQUARIUM FAILURE

NAGA

WE ALL KNOW THEY ARE THE ECONOMY AQUARIUM.............LET'S FACE IT NOBODY CAN MAKE A TANK AND CHEAP AS THEY CAN. ...................HOWEVER IT SEEMS AS THOUGH YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

WHEN I GOT A LOOK AT IT UP CLOSE THEY USED 1/2" GLASS FOR THE EURO BRACE AND 1/4" GLASS FOR THE CROSS BRACING. THE 1/2" GLASS IS WHAT BROKE APART AND THE VERTICAL SEAMS ON ONE SIDE ARE SEPARATED AS WELL.

Great... now I find out Bemmer's tank (which I purchased) is GlassCages... :)

bob

Guest Bemmer

Bob et al,

This debate about GC has been raging on for years...on several websites. They have been around for a long time. Many have praised their work and many have had poor experiences with their work. I have four GC tanks and three of the four have never leaked. The fourth one is an acrylic tank and I resealed it with Weld-On at the seam. No leaks after I sealed it at the seam. I am not hear to praise GC for their craftsmanship but I personally have had no issues with either of my display tanks.

Rebecca

Guest nynex

Hey here is link to my thread about the Nightmare I just had with Glasscages...

My Glasscages Nightmare

I had to file a chargeback through Paypal / Mastercard to get my money back...

Edited by nynex

WOW!! I read that link and holy cow!!!

I agree with Dan (Dandy7200) and I would go with Miracles..............I too have heard very good things about them and I would find it hard to believe that there can be another company that could care so little about their customers.

Rebacca, I respect what you said but, it did bring a smile to my face when you said, "3 out of the 4 didn't leak". Realistically they certainly make more tanks that stay together than they do with ones that come apart. It's just that we don't read about such things about other tank companies as we do with Glasscages. If you have a Glasscages that holds water then your probably in the norm but, how well put together is your tank...............and the real question is do you trust it enough to hold your thousands of dollars in livestock? the answer is to each his/her own...........not me though but, I do have the benefit of making a tank for myself :)

This is a quote I got from miracles aquariums for a tank that I'm looking into getting:

We quoted 60" long x 36" wide x 24" high

all edges machine polished

3/4" tempered bottom with 4 holes for two overflows 4 sided 12" x 6", glass interior for strength clad with black acrylic

1/2" starphire 2 long and 1 short

4-1/2" eurobrace all around

shipping included to 21409, client must supply location with a loading dock for unloading

$ 2873.00

please allow 7-8 weeks from order date

Same tank from glass cages is about 1/3 the price shipping included... Some thing is diffrent some where. miracles also uses 1/2 eruobracing. Naga PM me when you get a chance have some Q's for ya. Thanks. :bluefish:

Very similar to the quote I got. I think glasscages was around $500 or something, Miracles was about $1700 or so if I recall correctly. In the end, I spent $2200. I could have saved $500 if I hadn't tried to save $1200. You do indeed get what you pay for. The glasscages tank was heavy, sloppy, and developed chips (some quite large) immediately after being filled with water. Looked fine on the truck. The miracles aquarium has been running beautifully on a professionally made in-wall stand.

The guy at Miracles explained to me how chips can develop due to "shark teeth" caused by lack of machine polishing on Glasscages tanks. Indeed the edges of glass on the Miracles tank are mirror smooth. Really beautiful work.

My Glasscages Nightmare

Very similar experience here. Except I didn't get my money back.

When I was researching who I wanted to build my tank I did a lot of searching. In all fairness, I did find a story where a Miracles tank was a leaker. It was a few years old, placed on a home built stand and it leaked on the second owner after the original buyer sold it. Miracles response? They built the second owner a new tank at cost. That, is standing behind your product.

Guess who I had build my tank?

1342108705_546a427281_o.jpg

:cheers:

I have a glasscages tank and mine hasnt leaked after 2 years. I did notice when i put in inwall viewable from 3 sides that one side of the tank was not level. Thought it was the wall at first or the stand but it ended up being the tank itself. I wonder if NAGA would give us CG owners a discount on a new tank :biggrin:

Edited by phisigs79

I have a GlassCages Acrylic sump that I've been fairly happy with. However, I didn't order it. I bought it from another WAMAS member. He had it custom made to fit in his stand. When he upgraded his tank, I bought it off of him. I remember when he originally got it (heard the story again when I bought it) that they didn't make it to his specs. I would have to agree. He had to use a Dremel to cut out pieces so he could fit his skimmer. It wasn't like he measured it wrong, it was clearly made incorrectly. The one thing that confuses me is how did they put the last baffle in wrong. Other than them making it wrong and the black trim along the top chipping easy, it has done fairly well. It is about 2 years old and holds water. It was used and a sump, so I really didn't care if it didn't have any scratches.

It is hard to compete with their prices. However, it seems that it is hit or miss whether or not you'll be happy with it. As one WAMAS member put it to me, if you buy a GlassCages tank, buy 2 to replace the one that's going to fail. By the time you do that, you come pretty darn close to a Miracles tank.

If I ever do a large tank, I will be passing on GlassCages. I'm sure Miracles makes a good tank, but I would like to find someone local. Maybe NAGA, but I rather have glass :)

Guest nynex

Exactly...

The one they made me did the same thing with the chipping..

The reason the acrylic is chipping is because they use Extruded or Expanded

acrylic...Which is subgrade for aquariums. Expanded is fine if you are making

a non water applications. But for water applications you want to use Cast Acrylic.

I had the horrible tank they made for me inspected by 5 different acrylic experts

and was told this about the extruded acrylic. Cast acrylic will not chip or fade.

If you go to my link. I know the thread with my story is very long...lol... But I

think on page 5 or 6 I posted the Better Business Bureau response from Glasscage and

the Owner Beth Fialla says in the report they use extruded acrylic for the tanks.

So basicly she just did the damage to her own business. She also lies several times

in it and says that they didnt want to take my order...I thought that was so funny.

944813673_3536e3ea46.jpg

944813703_27688b6840.jpg

Edited by nynex

Exactly...

The one they made me did the same thing with the chipping..

To be clear, my chipping isn't of the acrylic...at least yet. My sump has a black piece of trim/plastic. It's nearly paper thing. I don't understand the purpose of it, except for maybe to hide the seams. That plastic border is the problem. It isn't a big deal because it is cosmetic, but it is just annoying.

Why, why, why do we keep ordering from them???? Their tanks are sloppy, low quality, they fail, and they dont stand behind them! The least expensive part of all systems is the tank, even at the Miracles price! STOP buying from them to save a few bucks, its going to cost you in the end. I, just like everyone else likes to save a few bucks, but there comes a line when you really start to sacrafice quality, then in the end costs you more, and in some cases much much more. I deal with Miracles in Glass, top notch people, outstanding quality, I would get my next tank from them without hesitation. It is worth the extra cash! Now go buy a Deltec! lol

john

Black mamoth I am still hesitant to get an acrylic tank but if you ever want to see a sump that I feel exemplifies outstanding craftsmanship, you are welcome to come and look at mine. Jeff(NAGA) built mine and I am so happy with it and I felt the price was very reasonable.

My Glasscages Nightmare

Quoted from Nano-Reef.com

nynex

View Member Profile Jul 26 2007, 11:04 PM Post #1

Nano Reefer

Member No.: 25,659

I was curious how many other people have had a bad experience with this

company glasscages.com? Ive never experienced such a nightmare then

what this company gave me!!!

I ordered a custom 20x20x12 acrylic nano cube from them 2 weeks ago. I have a

beautiful mated pair of Dragon Faced pipe fish that I wanted a tank for.

I was very specific about how I wanted the tank made. Their website makes the company

look as if they specialize in custom made aquariums. I called to order my tank and

the first person I spoke to had no clue about prices on anything. So then I called the

next day and this person didnt know either and said I had to email the owner Tom.

So I emailed the owner 5 times within 5 days and never heard from him. So finally

that friday a woman name Beth called me to take my order. The website has the

tank price at $50 and no custom prices at all on the site. They also make you

believe its better to pick up your tank at one of the many trade shows they do, rather

then pay for shipping. Well the site doesnt inform you its an $85 sur charge for them

to bring your tank to a show. This is understandable if its a 300 gallon tank. But for a

small tank thats highway robbery..

Anyway I was a little put out by this, seeing that there was a tradeshow they were doing

the following week here in Orlando. So I ended up telling them to UPS it to me..which was

only $40. Now I emailed the design plans to them and began to explain how I wanted the

tank made. All I wanted was a black acrylic wall put 3 inches from the back wall as well as

2 baffles in the back making 3 chambers. One for the overflow,refugium, and return pump.

I figured this would be a super easy for them..seeing that this company supposedly specializes

in custom aquariums. This woman Beth acted like I was asking for the world. First she argued

with me and tried to make it sound like it was a big deal to do this. She also told me there was

an $85 charge for the wall and baffles. She said " Im taking a no nothing tank and turning into

a big project for them!!! I was very confused by this?? I said I though $85 was high for that

and she started screaming at me telling me that to glue those 3 pieces into the tank was a huge

ordeal. I almost laughed at her. I also see on there site that they make custom tops for their

tanks..and when I asked to add one to my order...She told me NO...go to lowes and have them

cut you a piece of acrylic to put on the top.

I was so blow away at how rude this woman was...I almost didnt order the tank! But I had seen

my friends 190 gal that they made and it was really nice. So I thought I would just ignore this

rude employee and order the tank anyway. Also I called back the following monday to order

the tank and I wanted to ask a few more questions about the order. This same woman Beth said

"Look I dont have time for you! Do you want to order this or not?? How bout we just do this on

another day!!!" ....I got really angry and said I want to order this Now!!! So then she took the

order.

I received the tank a week later. I was not happy. To look at the tank from a distance on the

stand, it looked really nice. But to look at closely, the craftsmanship was shotty at best. They

used the wrong acrylic glue...and the seams had tons of bubbles. The eurobracing had 4 super

deep scratches in it. The black false wall had a huge scuff mark across it. and the overflow

was not made the way I asked for it. Which really puts me out, cause i made sure the overflow

was clearly explained in the tank design. The front panel has 4 or 5 small scratches in it. The

refugium outer wall and inner wall both had scuffs and scratches on it..

So I called and asked to talk to the owner. He was not there as usual. So this same woman Beth

gets on the phone and I try to explain to her what was wrong. She cuts me off and says" Look

you send the tank back and we will refund your money!" I said I dont want that. I want a

replacement tank! She says " NO we dont do that! If you are gonna nit pick everything to death..

We dont have the time to keep sending you tanks that you wont be happy with!. I said what are

you talking about?? You sent me a tank that has damage and was not made to my specs. I would

like another one and I will send this one back. I already made a stand and canopy for this tank.

She then got extremely rude and said " We dont need your business!..we get thousands of tank

orders and everyone is always happy!.. Shop somewhere else!! We will refund your money minus

shipping and you have you pay to ship the tank back...I started to say is that fare I have to pay

return shipping?? and she hung up on me!!!!!

This company was the rudest ive ever delt with and I would never deal with them again and

would not recommend anyone else buy tanks from them.

Has anyone else had problems with them?? I would like to know...

This post has been edited by nynex: Jul 26 2007, 11:36 PM

Please tell me why you ordered your tank from them? The owner does not respond to email, The owner yells at you, the owner is rude to you, is overcharging you by "highway robbery" for shipping, does not want to do some of the work for you and all of this BEFORE you have paid him a dime. How did you expect him to treat you after the sale?

Please do not think I am excusing anything they did. But I do believe as consumers we have a duty to spend our money wisely. Being a person who is actively looking for a company to build my tank, thank you for being brave enough to share your story, I hope we both learned something from it.

I have a glasscages tank and mine hasnt leaked after 2 years.

At least there is hope for me, then. I have had mine for a year. It's a 150G with 1/2" glass. At the time I got it I thought it was built like a tank. :why: :blush:

The only thing I have noticed [so far] on my tank is a few little micro air bubbles inside the glass. There are only a few, they are really tiny, and I only notice them when I am carefully cleaning the glass, but it doesn't seem normal to me. For some reason I don't think glass is supposed to spontaneously generate air bubbles. :(

Why, why, why do we keep ordering from them????

Because they make larger tanks accessible to people who might not otherwise be able to (convince their spouses that they can) afford them, and because people don't know any better.

I purchased my tank before I became very active with this club, and reviews on RC were mixed at the time. The consensus seemed to be that their customer service was awful and their silicone work was sloppy, but the tanks themselves were solid. I was willing to sacrifice a perfect appearance for the price break, but if I had known I was potentially sacrificing safety, I would not have done it. Even if I end up never having any problems with my tank, I would not buy from them again.

Edited by Rascal

I have a large tank on order with them.

Although it does scare me that there are lots of problems and of course their bad customer service, the other side is that they are a large manufacturer supplying thousands of tanks a year to wholesalers and retailers without many problems - at least none that I have heard of.

Luckily the one I ordered is a commercial-class tank according to their site, so I hope they build it well. 3/4 starphire.

Although I am happy with mine, and had no initial problems with customer service (even with a few customizations), I would not order from them again. I knew what I was getting into with the attitude, but would have thought in time a lot of these stories would improve, and they have not.

I agree. I am hoping for the best with this order, but like other people have said, I wouldn't buy again.

Mostly from the stress of worrying.

And I love the look of the AGE brand tanks. Amazing (for a premium price of course).