do you let your water sit after adding salt before adding to tank?

Guest han012

Guest han012

i got in a habit of letting my water settle at least overnight after i add the salt. is this really necessary or can i just let the salt settle for an hour or so & add to the tank?

i got in a habit of letting my water settle at least overnight after i add the salt. is this really necessary or can i just let the salt settle for an hour or so & add to the tank?

a day (24Hrs) or minimum 8 hours if in a hurry. but definetly I let it sit for a while

But why?

I'v don this for almost 17 yars now and bliv th mthod clarly out wights mix and pour.

In th old days, DI watr had a vry low pH (6's) and this allowd th pH to ris into th high 7's vn if no salt was addd yt. 8's whn it was. RODI watr coms out with a highr pH for m.

Allowing th salt mix to aggitat under vigorous currnt (powrhads allowing the watrs surfac to appar almost lik a rolling boil) givs all the various chmicals in th mix to bcom on. Whther you'v noticd it or not, it all dos not mix compltly and will not giv an accurat SG, at th last, if quickly mixd and tstd.

How do you do it, and why?

Looks lik it's tim for a nw kyboard.

might just be time for fresh batteries in the wireless keyboard - mine does that when it's ready to be die.

anyways - I'll mix mine the night before a wc with a PH pointed up like flower says and also a heater. After I mix I come back in an hour or two and agitate any pockets of salt on the bottom of the can if there are any, and then repeat until there are no visible solids remaining.

If you are talking about a 10% or 20% wc, then I doubt that's enough volume to harm anything even if you are not fully dissolved, in the event that you are asking because you have an emergency wc to do. In that case I would just make sure the temp was in the 70's and swish the living heck out of it, testing your sample before adding to the tank.

HTH

jp

Is there any limit to how long you CAN store it?? I mix mine up, and then run a powerhead in it for a few days. But sometimes that stretches out to a week and a few days if something come up on water change day. I figure mixing it, and running a powerhead also helps 'oxygenate' the new salt water. But what do I know.

bob

Well... How long do you store it in your main tank?

I try to keep a batch of RO and another of SW mixed and ready at all times. I use rubbermaid trash cans with pumps to keep the water mixed and aerated at all times. I top off the SW reserve with RO occassionally I and check the salinity a few hours before use. I've been doing this for a couple of years now and have seen no issues even when the SW was mixed 4 or 5 weeks earlier.

I let the salt water mix with a mag 5 at least over night, or longer. The only problem is the heat transfer from the mag 5, they really put off heat.

Guest JasonD

An hour or two for me. Once the water is clear in the tank it goes. Haven't lost a fish yet.

i have done both and never had a lose. I do keep a trashcan full of fresh saltwater now so its always ready to go.