tank backround

shawns

what do we do out there for our backrounds? id like to go permanet black. should i do it w/ rustoleum, or should i get a paper backing? id rather paint. i think it will be easier in the long run. if painting in general is prefered, what paint should i use and what sheen should it be?

I used the darkest window tinting I could find - I think it was called 'limosene" or something. Piece o cake to install but it is slightly reflective when viewing. One roll was enough for my 65 and 10g nano. I would do the same on the next tanks.

jp

The back of my 75g is painted black using rustoleum and it seems to be holding up very well. I used self-stick black backgound on my 29g and I am happy with that as well. The self-stick paper holds very well but can be easily removed it you need to. My daughter wanted to be able to see the critters when they were behind the LR pile so I trimmed the lower portion of the background and peeled it away in just a few seconds.

The only store I know of around here that carries the self-stick background is (gasp!) Super Pets.

The only store I know of around here that carries the self-stick background is (gasp!) Super Pets.

can the sticky stuff be reapplied after removal?

can the sticky stuff be reapplied after removal?

It's sticky so I suppose it could be reapplied. It would probably be stretched out though and not look as good.

I used flat black when I painted one before.

I like the coraline to encrust it now.

so you dont use any backround? just let the coraline do its thing and it will eventually cover the rear.

I like the coraline covered look for the non-viewable sides, but while waiting, and to make sure the plumbing & wall weren't viewable through the gabs, I used regular exterior acrylic hous paint with a brush. I had this vision of creating the illusion of depth by starting with very dark ocean blue at the bottom and gradually lightening towards the top, but it didn't turn out so well. I was never very good in art class. OK, that's too kind. I was terrible in art class, and my talents have not improved since. Fortunately, I am much better at growing coraline.

Ocean Visions is what I like to use as a plastic film stick on background. It can be removed later but not reapplied since it gets stretched during removal. You would just need to get some new product to reinstall.

There is another store locally that sells it... They'll even put it on the tank for you if you have the tank with you.

Ocean Visions is what I like to use as a plastic film stick on background. It can be removed later but not reapplied since it gets stretched during removal. You would just need to get some new product to reinstall.

There is another store locally that sells it... They'll even put it on the tank for you if you have the tank with you.

I wonder who that could be... ;)

(edited)
They'll even put it on the tank for you if you have the tank with you.

How likely is that to happen?

I used this black rubbery stuff that people dip tools into to rubberize the handles, or on boats because it's oceanproof. The LFS reccommended it to me.

The good thing about it is that if you ever want to get rid of it, you can peel it off. I can't remember what its called - something like dip something. It might be easier to find in a tool isle than it would be in a paint isle.

The coraline is good over the black. I was almost completely covered, but had to empty the tank at one point, during which there was a work emergency that prevented me from filling up till the next day... the coraline all turned white and flaked off :( If you ever move your tank, do something to keep the walls moist if you want to keep the coraline.

Edited by treesprite

Guest Bemmer

I used black vinyl that I bought at a sign shop. Easy to apply with a squeegie thing and soapy water. If I had it to do over, I would not have put any black vinyl on the sides of the tank (in-wall tank).

...I would not have put any black vinyl on the sides of the tank (in-wall tank).

Why is that? I was planning on getting vinyl for the ends of mine so curious as why you would change?

I can answer that! My tanks are both in-wall and having both the back and sides covered would make it very difficult to work in the tank. I have only the back painted and even that limits my view somewhat. I would not want the sides to be covered at all.

What do you need to see on the sides of the tank? My Corner tank has both sides..er..backs...er.. it's a triangle and the only side not painted is the front. I like it. My 75 has the back painted and the side that face the wall painted and the front and one viewable side is not painted. I like that too.

Yes, but now think about an in-wall setup. You are standing in the room behind the tank and the only way you can see in is from the top. I think you'll want at least the sides to be open.

Yes, but now think about an in-wall setup. You are standing in the room behind the tank and the only way you can see in is from the top. I think you'll want at least the sides to be open.

OK, I understand. I won't have access to the back other than for emergencies so I guess this doesn't apply. My tank will be "in-closet" :biggrin:

I can answer that! My tanks are both in-wall and having both the back and sides covered would make it very difficult to work in the tank. I have only the back painted and even that limits my view somewhat. I would not want the sides to be covered at all.

If it's a rectangular tank, why would you even need to cover the sides? With the way the refraction through the water and the angles blah blah blah works, the sides will be mirrors anyway and you won't see out of them, you'll merely see a reflection. In wall won't need painted sides, it'll leave them open so you can't see the guts from the front but can see into the tank from the sides when you need to do maintenance.

For a tank as deep as Bemmers, or a 3-4' cube, I think it would be cool to have two adjacent sides visible, so that you could look through the tank from one room to the other, but not front to back. You would be making the tank 'diamond' shaped as you faced it, and could do your aquascaping against the far corner, which would then be a massive distance away from what we're calling the 'front'.

just a thought.

jp