Innovative Marine 100 EXT SPS build

Over the past few months I've been building out my new tank.  Settled on an Innovative Marine 100 EXT tank - I love the external over flow and the wife approved of their APS stand.  I scored a Trigger Systems Sapphire 44 sump NIB locally and for a skimmer I got a RO Regal 150.  For lighting, I'm planning on running 3 Radion XR15s and flow will be done using a combo of Vortech MP40s and 10s

Here's tank arrival and assembly

tank_crate.thumb.JPG.928bd741de3d5aa12204dfa532c62293.JPGstand_sump.thumb.JPG.83e4363e245c5a1dd3781e9e6a7b2bf9.JPG

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking great so far! The SO approval is key, looking forward to watching this built out! 

(edited)

Looks great thus far man. I too need to get to work on getting a build thread for my 220G that I am setting up. Still waiting on plumbing to come in before I get water in it. Don't make your scape too nice or I may have to convince you to come help with mine. I really dislike aqua-scaping. I am having my wife and son give it a go while I work on plumbing/setup. I run the emerald39 on my 80G and it really is a good sump for the money. Can't wait to get some tester frags in there :biggrin:

Edited by wildcrazyjoker81

thanks guys!

the one question I'm hoping people can help me with is around biological filtration.  I see there are several types of plates/blocks out there, but certain ones are meant for nitrites while others are for nitrates.  I'm assuming I'll need to get X amount of both types in order for proper filtration?  Is that correct?

I was trying to stay away from the Brightwell plates as I've read they tend to fall apart over time.  I've been looking at these from Maxspect:  https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/nano-tech-bio-block-4-x-4-x-1-maxspect/  thoughts/experiece?

On 4/4/2022 at 2:49 PM, tonkadawg said:

thanks guys!

the one question I'm hoping people can help me with is around biological filtration.  I see there are several types of plates/blocks out there, but certain ones are meant for nitrites while others are for nitrates.  I'm assuming I'll need to get X amount of both types in order for proper filtration?  Is that correct?

I was trying to stay away from the Brightwell plates as I've read they tend to fall apart over time.  I've been looking at these from Maxspect:  https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/nano-tech-bio-block-4-x-4-x-1-maxspect/  thoughts/experiece?

I use pond matrix.  I think it's helpful when you use the dry Marco/brs rock since it's not as porous as live rock.  Pond matrix is cheaper and seems to work pretty well.  As a plus it's also how I can get a biological filter up in my qt tank pretty quickly.  

Build looks great so far!  Gl with scape!

On 4/5/2022 at 7:17 AM, lynn.reef.nerd said:

Very nice! You guys make me feel ashamed to post my plumbing job :lol:

I've been following your build on IG - I think you're doing just fine :cool:

12 hours ago, roni said:

I use pond matrix.  I think it's helpful when you use the dry Marco/brs rock since it's not as porous as live rock.  Pond matrix is cheaper and seems to work pretty well.  As a plus it's also how I can get a biological filter up in my qt tank pretty quickly.  

Build looks great so far!  Gl with scape!

great suggestion!!  I've been using matrix on both my freshwater planted tanks and it's been doing great.  Are you putting the media in mesh bags and placing that in the sump or some other way?

12 minutes ago, tonkadawg said:

great suggestion!!  I've been using matrix on both my freshwater planted tanks and it's been doing great.  Are you putting the media in mesh bags and placing that in the sump or some other way?

Yup, you got it.  I bought some mesh bags on Amazon and filled them. I had actually run them in the sump of my 100 for a couple months and then moved them over when I upgraded to have a bit of an instant biological filter.  

Got the rock work into the tank to get a better idea of where things stand.  Not sure if I need to add more 'branches' or take it higher (the highest points are right at 10" which is half way up) ?

IMG_7762.thumb.JPG.94acc6366a3e8c53ab4ad55aab299765.JPG

IMG_7763.thumb.JPG.b702aac70545b8027f6589dd779ae653.JPGIMG_7764.thumb.JPG.093a940db80fba2d01df18f7b390bf35.JPG

On 4/10/2022 at 8:30 AM, rioreef said:

Regarding the plumbing, you have check valves on the pumps but wouldn’t any back flow just go through the manifold section instead?   

Good point!  The check valves on the pumps are intended to prevent water from dumping back into the sump should 1 pump fail.  But as you pointed out, I don't have anything preventing the tank from back flowing through the manifold should both go down.  Gotta get another check valve and will add it this week.

Got the tank filled - one minor leak on the hose barbs connecting to the return pumps.  Other than that, so far so good.  I'm going to let it run another day or so before adding salt and kicking off the cycle.

-- pretend I uploaded a video showing the tank full of water here -- 

Lights came in yesterday :clap:

After talking to wildcrazyjoker81 Aand seeing his setups, then doing some of my own research I decided to go with 2 Orphek Atlantik iCon compacts over the radions.

Now to find some time to build the light rack and get these things over the tank

IMG_7848.JPG

2 hours ago, tonkadawg said:

Lights came in yesterday :clap:

After talking to wildcrazyjoker81 Aand seeing his setups, then doing some of my own research I decided to go with 2 Orphek Atlantik iCon compacts over the radions.

Now to find some time to build the light rack and get these things over the tank

IMG_7848.JPG

i writing trust that Aaron guy ?

i planned on running orpheks when I was setting up a 180, I had some likes and dislikes, but I found at the time, they were not that much cheaper.

looking forward to watching this kick off.

On 4/29/2022 at 10:26 AM, YHSublime said:

i writing trust that Aaron guy ?

:biggrin:

so I hit probably the first blocker for this build.  For the lights I didn't want anything hanging off the back or side of the tank.  So I ended up using some 80/20 profiles and comping up with this 'halo' from which the lights would hang off of.  The idea being clean, simple and would hopefully just fade out as the tank grows in.

I quickly realized that despite being anchored into 3 studs there just isn't enough support to keep things where they need to be.IMG_7883.thumb.JPG.05ca0ead8933aa2a0f104a869dd48b13.JPG

IMG_7882.thumb.JPG.1d75e777acf586075d055b5de8aaefc1.JPG

I know I could just add some 'legs' and throw some 45* pieces in there for support, but wondering if anyone has any better solutions?

Oh!  It's a real fish tank now!!! used Brightwell fishless cycle, tested 0 Ammonia/Nitrates and .8 Nitrates so I got a couple of green chromis 

IMG_7874.thumb.JPG.9ec0d278a85c0b350246747643f71c40.JPG

What kind of lights are you going with. I’m mounting mine from the ceiling, always the cleanest look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk