Innovative Marine 100 EXT SPS build

11 hours ago, YHSublime said:

What kind of lights are you going with. I’m mounting mine from the ceiling, always the cleanest look

2X Orphek Atlantik iCon Compacts. I agree, hanging from the ceiling is clean, but the boss disagrees 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)

How about a couple cables from hanging kits to support the front corners? You could attach it to the same wall, further up, to form triangles. The cables could also be attached to the ceiling, but it sounds like that option would get vetoed by the boss. They would need to be anchored to studs also. The silver wires would not be as obvious as additional black 80/20 pieces.

Edited by WheresTheReef

1 hour ago, WheresTheReef said:

How about a couple cables from hanging kits to support the front corners? You could attach it to the same wall, further up, to form triangles. The cables could also be attached to the ceiling, but it sounds like that option would get vetoed by the boss. They would need to be anchored to studs also. The silver wires would not be as obvious as additional black 80/20 pieces.

YES!!!  Perfect solution and already got the boss's approval :cheers:

2 hours ago, tonkadawg said:

2X Orphek Atlantik iCon Compacts. I agree, hanging from the ceiling is clean, but the boss disagrees 

bosses always veto this idea. Wish I knew why. Must hate good looking things!

10 hours ago, tonkadawg said:

YES!!!  Perfect solution and already got the boss's approval :cheers:

9 hours ago, YHSublime said:

bosses always veto this idea. Wish I knew why. Must hate good looking things!

I can only speak for my boss. She's afraid of multiple "oops" holes in walls or ceilings. Perhaps that is the case here? :biggrin:

11 hours ago, howaboutme said:

I can only speak for my boss. She's afraid of multiple "oops" holes in walls or ceilings. Perhaps that is the case here? :biggrin:

LOL - probably...

@WheresTheReef - I owe you a beer!!!

Got the lights hung using your suggestion of cables running from the corners to the wall above the rack.  That with some additional bracing on the 8020 bars the rack is solid!

IMG_7911.thumb.JPG.06cb607c38dfd125d12fd555e7630bfe.JPG

IMG_7912.thumb.JPG.99a1c2f8d165512e257c1365900e5add.JPG

I'm still going through the Orphek app and seeing how all that works.  Right now, when the lights run the default program patches of red and blue bounce all over the rock and tank - I think I've heard this called the 'disco effect'.  I'm hoping that by tweaking the settings I can achieve a better blend of each color.  Here's a video - hopefully you can tell from it what I'm talking about

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Long over due for an update!

Tank has been running since mid April (that's when I kicked off the cycle). 

Inhabitants:
1 green chromis

1 flame hawk fish

1 orchid dottyback

Current Params:

CA 490

KH 8.4

MG 1335

PO4 0.0

NO3 4.4

PH 7.4-7.5 (I think - using a ph pen but even calibrated I'm not certain)

Cal Alk Mag and Phosphates are all salifert tests.  Nitrate is Hanna HR

Dosing:

BRS 2 part 3oz daily

BRS MG 6oz daily

Neophos 20mil daily

Neonitro 10mil daily

* I was dosing microbacter 7 at 5ml a day, but ran out last week.

I began dosing at the end of Sept and have been making small adjustments to help bring the numbers to where they stand today

Feeding

I think I feed heavy - especially for only 3 small fish.  I feed 2x day frozen mysis and bloodworms soaked in selcon

Other info:

Skimmer runs 9hrs over night

Filter socks are washed every 1-2 weeks

Last water change was about 4 weeks ago

Lights run the pre-programmed 'Helios' provided by Orphek

Additional changes made in the last week -

Added 4 jars of pods from algae barn

Added reactor with 1C carbon

Feeding phyto 5ml every couple of days

Since adding the pods and carbon, the rocks aren't as covered with the brown algae (diatoms or dinos or ??? - I don't know) and the water is a LOT clearer.   About a month ago, I added 3 sps frags - for the first couple of weeks they looked good - nice polyp extension and color.  But now they're not looking so good and at this point I won't be surprised if I lose them.

Tank is definitely in the 'ugly' stage and I know that it being bare bottom will take a little more time, but I'm hoping to hear from the group here that I'm on the right track or if I need to make any adjustments.  What do you think?

IMG_8766.JPG

IMG_8767.JPG

IMG_8768.JPG

You're on the right track. 

Looks like you started with all new rock, will take a bit of time to come into itself. Personally, I wouldn't worry about dosing yet, water changes should get you to where you need to be. I think you're right, you are feeding heavy, but that's OK, why are you running your skimmer part time, it could help you keep feeding heavy! 

I'm also a big fan of the bare bottom, something I did to help speed up diversity was get rocks, sand, shells, etc from other friends tanks. I'd put the sand in a plastic container in the display, or the sump. If you're worried about it, because when you reef with somebody, you reef with every person they've ever reefed with, remember....  unless you plan to QT all your inverts, fish, corals, etc, then you're already taking that chance!  

I can parrot the bare bottom unless a specific reason. I like the look of sand and have Halichoeres melanurus wrasse which needs sand. needless to say, after about a year and a half, I'm slowly removed the sand except for a small contained corner for the wrasse to sleep in. 

The ugly stage will clear up fast - one day things will just start to click.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/12/2022 at 1:20 PM, nburg said:

Sweet tank. How do you like the IM tank? I just ordered the 170 EXT version. 

Thank you!  I love the IM tank so far - probably the only thing I would change would have been to go with a bigger tank - but I think that would be the case no matter what size I got :lol:

The tank is finally coming around - got through the nasties and coraline is popping up on the rocks.  I did get a better cuc - more snails and hermits.  Also now have a PB Tang and a purple tang.

I did lose the first couple of 'test' corals but picked up some more from Hendi and they seem to be doing good

Also added a PaxBellum chaeto reactor and have been building out a controller via Hydros

Current params as of this morning:

CA 460

KH 8.6

MG 1380

PO4 0.03

NO3 7.4

PH 7.9x - 8.1x

IMG_9414.JPG

So do these tanks have an acrylic backing on them? I can’t seem to get a clear answer. If so, does it look like it can be removed if a smaller weir is placed over the overflow

54 minutes ago, nburg said:

So do these tanks have an acrylic backing on them? I can’t seem to get a clear answer. If so, does it look like it can be removed if a smaller weir is placed over the overflow

The EXT does have a full acrylic glued to the back glass - the acrylic is all 1 piece and does have the weir cut into it.  I guess you could pull the acrylic backing off but honestly not sure why you would?

11 minutes ago, tonkadawg said:

The EXT does have a full acrylic glued to the back glass - the acrylic is all 1 piece and does have the weir cut into it.  I guess you could pull the acrylic backing off but honestly not sure why you would?

I prefer clear back to tanks with a while wall behind it. Makes the tank feel a little more open and natural in my mind. 

17 minutes ago, nburg said:

I prefer clear back to tanks with a while wall behind it. Makes the tank feel a little more open and natural in my mind. 

If you do that with yours please post pictures!

• 2 months later...

So what is your thoughts in the hydros controller?  I have been looking for something other than apex for basic safety monitoring stuff. It looks like a nice simple design

I've been really happy with the Hydros controller. Easy to set up and get going - the app is really nice and so far really stable.  It's already prevented cooking the tank when I had a heater go bad.

49 minutes ago, lynn.reef.nerd said:

Very nice! I'm still eyeing the EXT 200 ... just haven't pulled the trigger. 

DO IT!!!!! You won't regret it - they're absolutely beautiful tanks - and now you can get an IM sump.   I'm already wishing I went with the 200 instead of the 100 but that's a problem for another day 

4 minutes ago, tonkadawg said:

DO IT!!!!! You won't regret it - they're absolutely beautiful tanks - and now you can get an IM sump.   I'm already wishing I went with the 200 instead of the 100 but that's a problem for another day 

I'm just lazy about moving all my other tanks around to fit the new tank. :facepalm1: