New reefer

New member, just joined the group last week. Spent too much time crawling sites looking for a used tank setup but couldn't find much in my budget or location. Have been researching now for about 6-7 months but still feel completely dumb lol. Finally clicked go on the below equipment and will start setting it up after Christmas. Looking forward to coming to the meets and learning from you fine folks.

40g breeder

40#s dry rock/40#s live sand

Aquaclear 70 with media basket mod

Hydor wave controller & (2) 850 pumps

(2) AI prime HDs

Requisite salt, test kits, refractometer, etc.

I recommend getting an overflow and drilling the tank personally! It's super easy and it sure beats having equipment hanging off the tank. Drilling a tank is intimidating but it's really not bad if you go slow. Just make sure the tank glass isn't tempered.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, ImGoingCoastal said:

I recommend getting an overflow and drilling the tank personally! It's super easy and it sure beats having equipment hanging off the tank. Drilling a tank is intimidating but it's really not bad if you go slow. Just make sure the tank glass isn't tempered.

I'm really tempted to do this but don't have the bits. Not positive if it's tempered though, it's an aqueon tank from Petco. 

5 hours ago, ImGoingCoastal said:

I have some of the drill bits. Some kits come with them too. Mine was purchased from Petco as well.

Man now you got me looking seriously at them. Found a few used 10-20g sumps on Craigslist, going to check the classifieds here too. What size sump and pump are you running for your 40? 

Welcome to the group (and the reefing hobby)!!! It’s completely normal to feel like that, but I guarantee after getting water flowing through your system and start adding corals you’ll start feeling a little better.  If you have any questions, you’re definitely at the right spot as there’s a wealth of knowledge and friendly individuals lurking around here also.

I am also a 40B guy. I was lazy and didn't drill and ended up just doing an eshops hob overflow, which has been running flawlessly for 2 years, but wish I would had drilled it off the get go as the box takes up too much space in the corner of my tank. The 40B is a great tank size though for sure. Sounds like you are off to a good start on your supply list. I do think you would be better served with a better controllable DC powerhead style pump like the Jebao/Jecod series, but that is just me.

Welcome! You'll find a lot of experience here. It's an addictive hobby - if you haven't yet realized it. Enjoy! You're among friends.

I spent the better part of a year watching YouTube videos and reading forums before I picked up a package deal from someone upgrading tank size.
My tank has been wet a year in February and sometimes I too feel like I don’t know what I’m doing, well other than water changes :)

I actually just joined the wamas forums after another board I was using shut down their Tapatalk version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk