Looking for a Reef Mentor/'Sensei'

CallMeJus

Hey everyone, I've been in the hobby for about three years, I got my start when I was stationed in San Diego where l was volunteering at the LFS, and had the opportunity to learn a lot from the owner, who is also a well known importer (side note: Livestock in SoCal is wayyyy cheaper than here, obviously LAX being there plays a big part). Prior to that I had always been intrigued by Saltwater Reefs but never had one. I'm an Active Duty US Marine of 16+ years OIF & OEF combat vet, and a year ago I was transferred from SoCal to NOVA. I currently own a 44 gallon Reef tank with Sump, and a nano Freshwater Planted tank. This is the second iteration of my first tank since I didn't want to chance moving the livestock cross country (especially not even having a place here at the time) I restarted the tank. Without getting too deep into it, since I've been in the hobby it's become much more than just something I wanted because it looked intriguing. Caring for my Reef has improved my mental health, helping to reduce my diagnosed PTSD, anxiety, and depression. I don't have children, a wife, or any immediate family, so caring for my tanks and watching everything grow and thrive gives me a sense of purpose outside of military life. 

I'm eager and motivated to expand my knowledge and progress in the hobby. Other than the internet, I think having someone local to learn from would be very beneficial. Facebook groups are trash because there's too many trolls, and the forums only provide a certain level of learning, although I'm looking to become more active on here and R2R. 

If there is someone who is somewhat local to the Woodbridge/Lake Ridge area who would be willing to help me advance my knowledge please let me know. I also look forward to developing relationships with everyone in WAMAS as well. Thanks!

Hi Justin,

Firstly,

let me say that I ( and am sure others  in WAMAS) thank you for your service to this great land of ours.

As for reefing, we have many advance reefers here that can certainly help with your quest for a better reef. I certainly understand the preference to have someone local (a reef buddy) who can come over, put eyes on your tank and give recommendations. Short of that, please feel free to post your questions to the collective and they will certainly be answered.

good luck

Milton

This hobby is definitely addicting. This is just my own method:

Your best place in wamas is to look through some of the build thread and/or tank of the month. Look for someone that have the same goals as you in regard to the type of tank. If you love his/her tank and enjoy his/her "philosophy" in reefing, then you should consider asking that person for mentorship.

I find that someone closer might not always be the "best" mentor. Someone who have been in for a long period of time does not always make them good at the hobby. Look for those with successful tanks and listen and you will be successful.

Some of the people who I consider as mentors are over an hour away from me  @CK Reef @Dmb0921.

I have been only in for two years and I would saymost of my success is due to their help.

Good luck!

Edited by lynn.reef.nerd

Welcome, and thanks for your service! We have a very large military population in the club, and I'm sure you're not alone in your situation (but I'm sure it is more difficult to vocalize for some than others.)

It sounds like you might've missed our excellent speaker almost a year ago. He was injured (to put it mildly) by an IED, and he was able to gain a new hold on life through aquariums.

I'm located over in Fairfax Station... depending where you are, about 20-30 min away.  My specialty is kind of coral rehab and pest eradication, but I've been in the hobby 12+ years. Feel free to reach out.  There was talk of a new LFS going in over in Dale City too. I'll have to reach out to the guy to find out the schedule.

Welcome, and know you're amongst friends.

Thanks everyone for the replies and kind words! I look forward to getting more information from the forums, and building friendships. 

@reefdUp, I'd love the information for the LFS if you could get it!

I second @lynn.reef.nerd. The build threads are great places to find folks with similar tanks to yours and see what they are doing. There are so many people keeping successful tanks doing it different ways in here you can definitely find someone to look to for knowledge. 

Thank you for your service. Being MD/NoVa this group is full of active duty/vets/govt folks. Lots of great people and great reefers here. There are quite a few folks down your way but I don't wana "out" them on here haha. I am sure they will post or reach out. 

Welcome to WAMAS! 

One thing that can really enhance the experience of being in this hobby is learning to DIY a lot of things. A lot of people drill tanks themselves, build their own stands, and even build their own skimmers and lighting. There are a lot of super helpful and knowledgeable folks here who can help with just about anything. 

Edited by treesprite

Although I can appreciate wanting a mentor to avoid misguided efforts, I've found that most things in this hobby you have to figure out for yourself at some point.  There is a long list of husbandry fads that this hobby has gone through over the years and my personal experience has been that following others' methods often doesn't work at all for me. There is no "right" way to reef, so all you can really do is look at the full range of successful approaches (rather than a single one) and try some things out until you find a system that works for you.

That being said, I definitely think having a friend (rather than mentor) in the hobby can fill the same role and be mutually beneficial. Although I've been in the hobby for awhile (far longer than my join date on WAMAS), I still don't feel qualified to mentor anyone, but I'd be happy to be your friend and pass on anything that has worked for me (obviously, taken with a grain of salt).

How about we all take turns hosting everyone over for a happy hour/mid day Saturday kind of thing to do reef tours of what everyone has? I'm sure this would promote the same kind of learning opportunities.

Welcome to the club!!

Meghan

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I think we used to do a Tank tour some time back.

i am not sure what it stopped.

Perhaps someone who knows can comment on this

I think we used to do a Tank tour some time back.
i am not sure what it stopped.
Perhaps someone who knows can comment on this

It’s been about 9 years since those...

Just need someone to be about it, are you volunteering?

To the OP, start a build thread! Read others! It takes a village, but we have a great community here.

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 12:01 AM, YHSublime said:

It’s been about 9 years since those...

Just need someone to be about it, are you volunteering?

To the OP, start a build thread! Read others! It takes a village, but we have a great community here.

I think I might do that, thanks!

I think I might do that, thanks!
You definitely should. I still look at some of my older build threads for nostalgia and a bit of humor, but it's always nice to be able to see and show off your success. Additionally, people may notice something you missed or provide advice that is specific to your tank.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, maevepotter said:

I'd be willing to host the first tank tour. I can accommodate about 8-10 people. Who might be interested?

You should start another thread about it. That way you can gauge interest and plan and execute in a dedicated area!