Coral Lab, Smithsonian National Zoo

AlanM

This past Saturday I visited the Coral Lab in the Amazonia building at the National Zoo in DC.  They have a few tanks and they're looked after by Thomas Wippenback who comes to our meetings and also by at least one other WAMAS member who volunteers there from time to time.

Mike Henley was an active WAMAS member in the past and worked at the Invertebrate house at the zoo before it was closed down.  He is now doing his PhD on coral sexual reproduction in Hawaii, I believe, still affiliated with the Smithsonian.  They feature his work in the educational material at the Coral Lab.

The tanks were nice, but don't have many fish in them.  Mostly coral.  Thomas is doing the best he can with the resources he has, but most of the zoo money seems to go to the elephants, giraffes, pandas, and apes.  (Kind of kidding, but not really)

WAMAS is considering sponsoring the Coral Lab in some way.  We're still working out the details, but it's a pretty nice exhibit in an excellent spot in the city where lots of people get to see live corals.  Not too many spots in the city to see them.  We used to have a tank at the National Aquarium in DC before it moved out.  Maybe we'd have one at the Smithsonian now. 

Here is what the front and back look like:

MVIMG_20190928_150234.thumb.jpg.434b731f76a21090b8ce7ee2dcd59cc6.jpg

MVIMG_20190928_150741.thumb.jpg.08c9140b0279ab6485169007bbd29ed7.jpg

and here's a little video of the main reef tank which you can see with some Radions above it.

Yes! I took my son to the zoo a few weeks ago and saw this exhibit. I hadn’t been to the zoo in a long time, always loved Amazonia but had no idea of the new addition. I was WAY more excited about it the both my son or wife . There was a kid that was very impressed i know the names of most the coral, So kudos to me. I think it would be awesome if WAMAS could contribute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool.  Some of the improvements he's looking at are installing a better sump.  He currently has a long frag tub under the wall of tanks with about 6 inches of clearance.  He'll continue using that, but will grow chaeto in it for nutrient export.  He'll install a sump next to the tanks and put a nice big skimmer in it too.  His current one is a small ESV downdraft skimmer. 

I think he'd also like to do mixed saltwater and RO/DI in the same room.  He currently has to drag a hose all across Amazonia from the tunnel (where QT tanks are being set up and where all the utilities are) through a closet in order to do water changes.

QT tanks in the near term will have a good impact too.  Sounds like the zoo is a bit more careful of livestock going in tanks than most of us are, even if we're on the conscientious side.

Any chance of having somebody putting together a needs list & plan so that a substantial grant can be proposed? Maybe Tamie Dewitt?

I'm totally in.  I have some older equipment I was going to sell at the next WAMAS meeting.  If any of the items show up on a "needs" list, I'll happily donate.  Or whatever else needs done...

This is such a wonderful project, and I really hope WAMAS decides to sponsor it.  It's so important, given the current crisis with climate change and ocean heating, for young kids to be exposed to the beauty of reef tanks.

3 hours ago, Origami said:

Any chance of having somebody putting together a needs list & plan so that a substantial grant can be proposed? Maybe Tamie Dewitt?

Definitely.  They are thinking about both sides of the grant agreement and will get a plan together in consultation with us.  Tamie is involved, but probably at a higher level.  I'm waiting to hear back from some of them about the shape of an agreement and then we'll talk about details like a list of needs.

Down to help. Stupid question though. I frequent the zoo, my best friend works there, I’ve been to Amazonia a bunch bc fish. But um...never seen the coral lab. Am I blind as a bat?? How do I get to it??

5 hours ago, MariSoula said:

Down to help. Stupid question though. I frequent the zoo, my best friend works there, I’ve been to Amazonia a bunch bc fish. But um...never seen the coral lab. Am I blind as a bat?? How do I get to it??

It is in one of the old rooms downstairs that were mock “field offices”.  Across from the dart frogs and amphibian gallery next to the space they keep the Panamanian Golden Frogs and glass frogs (or at least used to, I think those may have all died).