davelin315's 300 Gallon In Wall Reef Tank

OK, so now the coral has been tentatively identified as either an Acropora sarementosa or... get this, some people think it could be an Acropora efflorescens or solitaryensis... wouldn't that be cool! I'll have to wait and see what comes of growth on this guy. I will be trying to move over to the big tank if I find some time today, so if I do, I will probably try and cut off a few more of the frags for SWAP before doing so, just in case I lose the coral in the move. I'll update with progress if I can!

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have got to get this system up and running... I lost two pacific blue tangs in the past few days that jumped out of the system because they are getting too big for the frag tray... I cut the tray in half basically when I added a bunch of frags to it and now they are getting very competitive for space. Doesn't help that a GBTA moved into one of their homes.

The coral you are calling a Christmas coral looks exactly like the Teal Sarmentosa I have. I received the Sarmentosa from 143Gadgets who got it originally from Leishman. The color changes depending on the lights. Under 20K, it's Teal, but under 10K it's baby blue with pink tips. Below are pictures under 10K and 20K lights.

Teal%20Sarmentosa%20under%2010K_jpg.jpg

IMG_0734-1_JPG.jpg

Teal%20Sarmentosa%20Frag_jpg.jpg

Hmmm... under my 20,000Ks it is green. I'm excited to see where this thing finally ends up at!

Jason, a Hippo tang is the same thing as a Pacific Blue Tang is the same thing as a Hepatus Tang is the same thing as a Regal Tang... they are one of two fish commonly known as a blue tang and this one is from the Pacific Ocean, the other is from the Atlantic Ocean. The name Hippo, I'm assuming, comes from the taxonomical name Hepatus for the species (Paracanthurus hepatus). So, yes, they are the same fish.

Drained the tank tonight of the test water, replaced the RO/DI filters and resins, started filling the tank with fresh water...

At the rate that it fills, especially with colder weather and colder water coming tomorrow night, I should have the next few days to finish the plumbing on this and get it up and running. Now if only I could find someone who actually has time to come out and help me do the wiring for the new subpanel, then I could actually plug in the pumps without running extension cords from upstairs...

Sure it is... the wall is just in my mind right now. It's probably going to happen this weekend where I at least frame it out and put the door in. Will hopefully also pick up the drywall, too.

you're tank still isn't very "inwall"

He's only through year one of a two-year project... obviously year two is 'the wall'.

bob

A big thanks goes out to Brian Ward for coming over today to show me how to wire the subpanel. Unfortunately, by the time I got to the hardware store tonight they were closed (I had no idea that they closed earlier than 7:30 on Sunday!), so the wiring will have to wait until tomorrow. Probably better off as I have work to do for school anyway...

Within 6" or so of the top... plumbed the overflow tonight with 2" spaflex and plumbed the remaining closed loop. I will leak check it tomorrow and then if it's leak free (I'm going to let the spaflex and solvent cure for 12+ hours) I will dump salt into the system. The next step is doing the wiring and I'm ready to add the sand into the system and then transfer rock over. After that I'll set up the lights and finish plumbing the remaining sumps together and add the return pump onto the system.

OK, the tank is within 1/2" of the overflow and the 2nd closed loop is connected, running, and leak free. The next step is to dump salt in there to begin mixing it and then work on the electrical stuff tonight. If I can get this sand into the tank soon I may be able to get down to real business soon!

300 gallons of saltwater in the tank, give or take 20-30 gallons...

Didn't get to work on the electrical tonight, but hopefully I'll have some time tomorrow night. Had to work on the baby's room instead since she's due any day now...