My Coral Rehabilitation Project

ReefdUp

I also like your side by side pics. It makes it easier to appreciate the change. If you do this format, I agree with Isaac that slower would be better. Also, if you can keep a semi consistent orientation then it will look more like a time lapse which would be cool. Either way awesome work on these coral recovery efforts!

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the feedback!  I had to find a GIF-maker that had a few more features, so hopefully this works...  

How's the speed?  I know the side-by-side isn't the best, but I haven't figured out a better way yet.  And, unfortunately, orientation is about 12 years too late.  I'll try to do better going forward.

Pink Bower.gif

I like that better. Is there an easy way to put the date of the pic by your copyright, and the date range on the side by side image? Or is that just a fixed watermark for the entire gif? Probably would be too much to have both on each image. I think it would be informative to show the month/year for the healing as it progressed. Just a thought.

What about maybe a slide effect from the unhealthy coral to the recovered? That way at one point and time you'd see half of both of them on the screen at the same time. It would definitely help keep the impact up there.

So my though is you'd have the 2 slides of the same coral with a transition effect between them, then suddenly a new unhealthy coral appears on the screen and slides to a healthy one, rinse and repeat.

That way there's no confusion as to what you're looking at. New image means new coral, sliding image means youre looking at the same coral.

Hopefully I'm explaining what I'm thinking properly and it make sense.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, thanks to all of the feedback, here is the latest format concept.  I'm going to restart my website, so I'll see if I can get a slider to work for that (I don't know how to do it without embedded html).  

2013-A001.jpg

4 hours ago, ReefdUp said:

2013-A001.jpg

Same coral from your profile pic?  It’s definitely developed some nice colors!

33 minutes ago, DFR said:

Same coral from your profile pic?  It’s definitely developed some nice colors!

It is - It's my pride and joy of my tank.  I still have it, but unfortunately the mother colony suffered pretty significantly during a tank crash last year (but I have two back-up colonies in two other tanks).  

The colors are really fascinating to watch develop and change over the years.  The yellow ring is the first color to go if the coral suffers at all.  And, if I keep everything exactly perfect, the purple rings get the most ridiculous baby blue stripes in them.  

It is definitely a stand out piece.  

I’m always amazed by what you are able to do.  I finally threw in the towel on the Favia I was trying to save.

9 hours ago, DFR said:

It is definitely a stand out piece.  

I’m always amazed by what you are able to do.  I finally threw in the towel on the Favia I was trying to save.

Ohhh nooo.  I'm so sorry.  It's always rough to lose them.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi all!  It's been a while, and if any of you have heard, it's been especially rough in the coral realm for me.  This is going to be really hard to write, but it's time.

I got a bout of brown jelly disease (BJD) and confirmed the ciliates under a microscope.  I couldn't get them under control, mostly due to not being able to get hydrogen peroxide easily for months due to covid.  That, plus trying to homeschool and raise kids along with working full time was just insanity.  I should've reached out for help, but, you know what they say about pride...

I've been BJD free for a couple months now (knock on wood), but it lasted for several months.  I lost nearly everything, including the mother colony in my avatar (there is no emoticon that can fully express how devastating that was for me) and an orange/blue acanthophyllia that I've had for a decade.  

Anyway, on the bright side, my [new] website is up and running.  I want to take this as yet another lesson that I can share, so that maybe others won't have to go through the same.

Here's the latest post:  

Coral Ever After

(And, for those of you that asked for a slider bar, you've got it!  Albeit on my website, not here, but it's the best I could do.)

That breaks my heart! Do you have an isolated system to transfer very sick corals to? I guess once the infection starts it can easily spread.

Website is nice. Lmk if you want this (I think pink and green platygyra) to rehab. My torch fell on it. It is coming back very slowly, but I don't have room for it. Free. Probably 2.5" diameter.

large.PXL_20201225_051818914_MP.jpg.b6cd69b49bbd0fb577098c7cb8eeae1e.jpg

I'm so sorry to hear that. Reefing while homeschooling and working is no joke. I'm so sorry to hear of your losses. Things really do snowball. I lost most of my acropora after adding a yellow clown goby :( and now have cyano bc of few water changes after having the new baby. Hugs to you. 

12 hours ago, WheresTheReef said:

That breaks my heart! Do you have an isolated system to transfer very sick corals to? I guess once the infection starts it can easily spread.

Website is nice. Lmk if you want this (I think pink and green platygyra) to rehab. My torch fell on it. It is coming back very slowly, but I don't have room for it. Free. Probably 2.5" diameter.

large.PXL_20201225_051818914_MP.jpg.b6cd69b49bbd0fb577098c7cb8eeae1e.jpg

I currently have a quarantine, a grow-out (intermediate stage quarantine), and a main display, but the BJD hit all three tanks at once.  I'm convinced it's in the water column and is just opportunistic.  One of these days I'll post about the experience, but I'm still too broken-hearted and embarrassed.  

Thank you so much for the kind offer!  I would absolutely love to keep rescuing, but taking more things in right now isn't the responsible thing to do since I just don't have time.  Once schools open back up, I'll be back to rescuing (with a few more tools in my bag!)  

12 hours ago, maevepotter said:

I'm so sorry to hear that. Reefing while homeschooling and working is no joke. I'm so sorry to hear of your losses. Things really do snowball. I lost most of my acropora after adding a yellow clown goby :( and now have cyano bc of few water changes after having the new baby. Hugs to you. 

Awww - congrats on the new "frag"!!  That's way more important that a reef...or cyano.  :)  And ugh, those clown gobies can be such a pain.  Just wish they weren't so stinkin' cute!

No kidding! I thought what an adorable little fish. My colonies are established right? Hahahaha no. I think all he literally ate was coral. Oh and to crown all, that was the second one I got. The first one was really cute and just sat in my leather, and then I saw that they were able to change sexes either way to mate, and I got another so they could be a pair. The second one killed the first and went on a darn rampage. Plus a bunch of jumpers.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
4 hours ago, jason the filter freak said:

@ReefdUp this is incredible work!

Aw, thank you!! Really appreciate the kind words. Knowing people are reading this reminds me to post more!  I'd especially love to hear what people would like to see for new articles/ photos.

And I should mention, I finally kicked BJD thanks to a combination of hydrogen peroxide dips and Cipro. I need to get that article posted (but I hesitate to do anything that might encourage people to start dosing antibiotics into a reef tank.......)