Buying Fish Online

Happyfeet

Hi guys, long time no see.

I'm looking for recommendations on where to buy fish online. I've never done it and honestly I don't know what sites are reputable. 

I've always bought my fish from the local stores, but since I've moved out to Idaho there just isn't anywhere within 8 hours that even sells saltwater fish!

Hit me up with suggestions! I'm looking to acquire a couple more fish. Thanks!

Hi guys, long time no see.

I'm looking for recommendations on where to buy fish online. I've never done it and honestly I don't know what sites are reputable. 

I've always bought my fish from the local stores, but since I've moved out to Idaho there just isn't anywhere within 8 hours that even sells saltwater fish!

Hit me up with suggestions! I'm looking to acquire a couple more fish. Thanks!

Hey man! I was literally wondering what happened to you last week, as I drove by your old office building (I believe) in Ballston. 

I did my first recent online order of fish, and got it through Divers Den (Live Aquaria) Everything went as smooth as I could expect!

Check out Marco at erc. Hands down the healthiest fish you can get your hands on.

I have had great experience with Live Aquaria and Divers Den, Blue Zoo Aquatics, Sustainable Aquatics (large selection of clowns), and even had good experience with fish from Unique Corals.

The only online vendor I've had experience with is BZA. My last couple of orders were problematic. I lost money, because even though I got a credit, I wasn't going to pay the shipping costs to replace the fish the credit was supposed to cover.

There is no point in getting credits from online vendors if the shipping for the replacement is not going to be covered. So I would like to know if any of the vendors people are mentioning, will cover replacement shipping even if the amount of the credit is below the "free shipping" minimum cost.

Edited by treesprite

Well, when I picked up my shipment from LA at the UPS Service Center I had to wait like 1.5 hours to get it because the box was leaking/wet and they wanted to open it up. Anyway, fish survived, but I lost 3 snails and an urchin. LA extended the 14 day guarantee and said that when I’m ready, whatever doesn’t make it will ship for free and I can add to the order. I think the free shipment is because the bags inside the box were leaking. I’m sure if they were going to charge me for shipping and I added another $99 to reach the free shipping threshold there would be no charge.

But you’re right. If there’s a guarantee, you really shouldn’t have to pay for shipping twice if you paid for it the first time or if shipping was free. Kinda defeats the purpose especially if what you lost is less than the shipping charges. You could always take a credit and use that when you are ready to order again.

Either way, the OP was looking for good places to order fish online. Looks like there’s a good list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys!

Thanks for the info and all the suggestions and warnings!

Hey man! I was literally wondering what happened to you last week, as I drove by your old office building (I believe) in Ballston. 

I did my first recent online order of fish, and got it through Divers Den (Live Aquaria) Everything went as smooth as I could expect!

Hey Hey,  Yeah, I realized I wasn't doing what I wanted to do with my life. Conservation work was great and all, but the working with Congress was really wearing on me. I packed up and moved out to Idaho to do conservation out here away from the politics.

Now I run the monitoring and evaluation program for 3 National Fish Hatcheries raising steelhead, Chinook salmon, and coho salmon. I'm also working with 2 tribal nations conserving pacific lamprey and building a baseline mussel index for the state. 

Been much happier out here! 

Hey guys!

Thanks for the info and all the suggestions and warnings!

Hey Hey,  Yeah, I realized I wasn't doing what I wanted to do with my life. Conservation work was great and all, but the working with Congress was really wearing on me. I packed up and moved out to Idaho to do conservation out here away from the politics.

Now I run the monitoring and evaluation program for 3 National Fish Hatcheries raising steelhead, Chinook salmon, and coho salmon. I'm also working with 2 tribal nations conserving pacific lamprey and building a baseline mussel index for the state. 

Been much happier out here! 

Cool man! Gotta be happy!

I stick with Divers Den. I love the What-You-See-Is-What-You-Get (WYSIWYG) aspect long with quarantine procedures the facility has in place. Fish can be treated at the facility from a minimum of two weeks to several months for more delicate species before they are shipped out.

Thinking about making a purchase with a certain online vendor lately for a particular specific fish, so it brings up the question: at what point do we use the LFS versus an online vendor. (apologize is this is thread drift, if so I can start a new thread)

My conundrum: there is a certain fish I want, that's commonly available retail at LFS' (let's say, yellow tangs, though it's not that).   Let's also say that I know many LFS' get their YT's from a (fictional) high quality collector (call him KonaTangs, inc).   Let's also say that not only does (fictional) reeffish.com advertise they have YTs from KonaTangs, but that various online reviews say that when I order from reeffish.com, I get the shipment straight from KonaTangs- it has all KonaTang's markings, the return address is KonaTangs, and I know, from a site visit, that the Tangs are swimming in the ocean maybe 4 hours before they give it to UPS .  Reeffish.com acts, then, basically as a broker for the collector's direct shipments   

Minimizing the aquarium chain of custody is highly desirable for me.  

Would buying the tang online in such a situation be better, than buying the same tangs at an LFS after they've been sitting there for a few days?

Would buying the tang online in such a situation be better, than buying the same tangs at an LFS after they've been sitting there for a few days?

For me personally, I just decided to support the local guys. The brick and mortar stores can't be easy to maintain and there isn't anything I liked more than making the rounds on a Saturday and seeing what was in what was new and having a chat with the guys. I'd kill for a BRK out where I am. I've also never had a fish die as a result of getting it from the local guys.

Thinking about making a purchase with a certain online vendor lately for a particular specific fish, so it brings up the question: at what point do we use the LFS versus an online vendor. (apologize is this is thread drift, if so I can start a new thread)

My conundrum: there is a certain fish I want, that's commonly available retail at LFS' (let's say, yellow tangs, though it's not that).   Let's also say that I know many LFS' get their YT's from a (fictional) high quality collector (call him KonaTangs, inc).   Let's also say that not only does (fictional) reeffish.com advertise they have YTs from KonaTangs, but that various online reviews say that when I order from reeffish.com, I get the shipment straight from KonaTangs- it has all KonaTang's markings, the return address is KonaTangs, and I know, from a site visit, that the Tangs are swimming in the ocean maybe 4 hours before they give it to UPS .  Reeffish.com acts, then, basically as a broker for the collector's direct shipments   

Minimizing the aquarium chain of custody is highly desirable for me.  

Minimizing the chain of custody is probably not quite what you're trying to do. At least, I hope not. What you're probably after is minimizing the stresses and subsequent loss of vitality and survival from an extended chain of custody.

A fish that's been through a long chain of custody is not necessarily less viable if it's been afforded rest and treatment along the way. That is, it has a better chance of surviving when you get it. However, there's risk at every step. A fish that's been through a grueling chain of custody may stand a much lower chance of surviving whether it's a long or short chain of custody. That's the risk you take. If your LFS receives the fish, opens the bag and puts it in their system for rest and treatment, they're the ones accepting the risk of loss. Consequently, losses and expenses are figured into the price that you get and it's going to be higher than had you accepted the risk.

That's an economic view of it, at least. 

There are other reasons, though, to support your LFS such as keeping them in business so they can be there when you need them most - such as a tank emergency. Another is helping to support your community and keeping your money local. Another is preserving choice. Another is appreciating the one-on-one relationship that can come from supporting a small business. There's a whole host of reasons to support your LFS. Those who only buy online yet still expect to have the choice and support of an LFS now or in the future are depending upon others to keep that choice available to them. When it's not, whether they know it or not, they shoulder some of the blame.

Very true in both fronts. Assuming the lfs actualy does a quarantine/treatment regime. And its tanks are reasonably pest free...

Tom, yeah, the chain of custody worry of course is not an end in itself, but a theoretical way to minimize the amount of stress on the fish. Point taken......