salt water in carpet

finaddict

SO I woke up this morning to see that my HOB filter had enough crap caught in it to cause some water to drip over the back and onto the floor. Probably had 2-3 gallons end up on the floor last night!  

Question is how to you get that saltwater out of the carpet? It is located behind my aquarium which I obviously cannot move.

Any ideas?

Sorry to hear that.  Water seems to always find a way.  My experience is a wet vac, towels, a fan, and a plan to reduce future risk.    

Wet vac and days of running a fan. Fresh water rinse if you can get to it to help pull up any residual salt in the carpet. 

Then, as mentioned earlier: Study the failure and take precautions so it doesn't happen again. If a clogged filter sock is too close to an edge, it can overflow out of the sump. If the power goes out or your main pump dies, your sump level may raise. Will it overflow, though? If your overflow fails (e.g. plugs up) will your tank overflow? Is your ATO tubing secured well? What if it comes loose, will you pump water onto the floor? If your ATO sensor fails, do you have a backup to keep from overfilling the tank (wetting the floor and possibly crashing salinity in the process)? 

Going through these thought experiments is sometimes easier than learning the hard way. However, we all learn some lessons the hard way. My first big spill was probably upwards of 10 gallons or more.  :ohmy:

Just place a fan on it and forget about it. Hundreds of gallons on my carpet over the years and you can’t even tell. I think the salt may vacuum up after it dries up.

When I seen the topic description for this post in the for sale/WTB/free section, my first thought was "Why would someone want to buy carpet with saltwater in it?".  :huh:  :huh:  :unsure:  :unsure:

Anyway, not that I can add anything more to this except, like others have said, just vacuum up as much as you can and use a fan for a few days until it dries.  

Edited by tom39