• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, WheresTheReef said:

I would be scared if I were you :rollface:

large.pennywise_clown.jpg.87044716e4ee7fad65eb2bdfd772f2fa.jpg

Well played, well played indeed!

Here's some closer shots of what's going on in here during a Sunday water change and spot feeding:

51921222952_77a7a03459_o.jpg

51922528389_ab6439785b_o.jpg

51922528189_58c3c8fbb8_o.jpg

51921223287_d0124b3d51_o.jpg

51922814580_e990cf2b43_o.jpg

51922814260_2483988fe3_o.jpg

51922814000_0a8882db4e_o.jpg

1 hour ago, howaboutme said:

Glad to see the 'nem doing great!

Like nothing ever happened! Although, the big change now is that it's bubbled up like crazy, used to be long and smooth tentacles! 

Looking amazing! I love how everything has carved out its own little space.

Thanks! It’s 5 years in the making of everything not being managed, and one violent nearly crash and burn tank crash.

Awesome looking tank.  Do you even have space for a Homewrecker?

Always space

I can't get over how full of color and life this is.   Some of those top down shots...man, the tank is definitely settling into a groove!  Is that mummy eye chalice encrushing the floor? 

25 minutes ago, roni said:

I can't get over how full of color and life this is.   Some of those top down shots...man, the tank is definitely settling into a groove!  Is that mummy eye chalice encrushing the floor? 

It's encrusting over everything, I think.  Floor, walls, dogs, etc.

26 minutes ago, roni said:

I can't get over how full of color and life this is.   Some of those top down shots...man, the tank is definitely settling into a groove!  Is that mummy eye chalice encrusting the floor? 

Thanks, Roni. Yeah, the chalice is encrusting on the floor, and has started to creep up the rock structure, much to my dismay. It is cool though to see how the spots that don't get light and the spots that do are varied in color. It's a glowing neon green in the high light, and a lime green in the dark spots. The other side of the rock has a forrest fire digi that was sold me to me as a bubble gum digi, and it's encrusted over that side of the tank floor. The front of the tank has a darth maul porites, which looks like it'll get choked out by the digi and the mummy eye any day now. 

The other side of the tank has variety of JF monitipora, and a TSA Minions that are fixing to to do the same. 

And no, I do not have a game plan for when I have an inch of encrusted corals all over the bottom of the tank, it's madness. 

5 minutes ago, AlanM said:

It's encrusting over everything, I think.  Floor, walls, dogs, etc.

This is not far from the 100% truth. About once a month, I have a pastry/masonry flat edge that I have to chisel down the side of the tank walls. Now the GSP is starting to shoot down the side of the tank as well, and I'm confident has grown inside and down some of the plumbing of my overflow. 

I'm not far off from the only viewable side of this tank being 'top down.' 

• 2 weeks later...

These might seem like a lot of the same photos again to folks, but I wanted to capture what the tank looked like in the AM with just the T5 bulbs going. These are 100% edited to show you what I see IRL under 100% blues. The colors are so striking, and it really does take about an hour for the bulbs to warm up into the groove. Once the LED's pop in, they are set to be very white heavy, so it balances everything out during the day. I can 100% say that the addition of T5's has accelerated SPS colors to a whole new level. 

51950045631_2cc280e40d_o.jpg

51950652200_4136a13320_o.jpg

51950652425_bca706d3f5_o.jpg

51950046291_292897e102_o.jpg

51950124218_f87fff00cf_o.jpg

51949068377_9e04a195ab_o.jpg

51950046851_b2112e2859_o.jpg

51949068842_0721f6203c_o.jpg

@JJKKhere is the Homewrecker, I placed the underbelly side (shaded) up in the same location it was in before (sans maybe 1/2" or so. I wanted it to have the opportunity to color up in the same sort of par and settings it had before. I might be making it up, but I'm starting to see slight tinges of pink on the tip. 

51950125038_0d2288238f_o.jpg

This was sold to me as Hungs Rainbow, and I truly believe it is. It's one of those acros that encrusts and sprouts for me like nobody's business, but the reality of it is, I've never been able to get the colors out of it that some reefers seem to be able to. For the average reefer, I've found it looks green and blue. It's still very pretty. 

51950358144_b9b51be0b6_o.jpg

This is my favorite shot from this batch of pictures. Up front and center is RR Event Horizon. Just an absolute nuts millie that I can't seem to branch out, it's growing like a thick stump from 3 shoots. I've been trimming the tips to encourage some growth. Right behind it is Bill Murray, the back side of this piece is pretty shaded despite the T5's, so the best view is from this side of the tank. I often don't see just how pretty it is. Then behind that is your Strawberry Shortcake from @jhOU, which btw, you're welcome to a frag back of if you have the room! To the left is "golden millie" the person I got it from didn't know what it was, and above that is my Cherry Bomb, which I've had for quite a while and it's stayed the exact same size, and nearly died several times. To the right is Walt Disney, and I've continued to just nip the tip on it to get it to grow. Underneath is the dead encrusting of where my old, very slow growing WD, died, so I'm hoping this will just take over the top again. 

51950653975_c49641e532_o.jpg

This pink panther really turned into something special:

51950125763_6f75091bfd_o.jpg

This colony of Space Invaders Pectinia just lives in the back of my tank. It's lower light, lower flow, and it seems to really enjoy itself there, I also don't have to worry about it stinging the heck out of everything it's around back there, so it just can do it's thing. 

51949070022_dfcc1d5321_o.jpg

Well, the cats kinda' outta' the bag, so I'll post up here as well. I found a great deal on a Deep Blue Rimless 80. The "front" pane does have two big scratches on it, but once you get some water in there it's not very noticeable. Believe it or not, there are scratches all over the 22 gallon, I try not to sweat it, it's what's inside the box that counts. Just like the 22 gallon was always my dream ideal tank, the 80 has always been in the back of my mind as the upgrade. The "back" originally came painted black, but I took about 45 minutes and scraped it clean, let there be light. I'm putting the panes of glass like front, and back, in quotes, because I plan to run this like the nano, as a peninsula. The plan is to remove the overflow, plug the holes, and then put in a "ghost style" low profile bean animal overflow box on the back (read: left side) pane. 

This will be a long time move over, if I've learned anything, it's don't be in a rush to get there. I've already reached out to @Ben A who built the awesome stand for this nano, and hope to do the same for this one. I'd like to put some pieces of red oak with a live edge down the sides for the ledges, but in order to fit it through most standard sized doors, I'll need to have a stand the size of the tanks footprint, and then most likely a top with extended edges. 

I do like the stand it's currently come with, but would like to build out the back the same way, which will now be the side. Lots of ideas rolling around, and lots of work to do, but I'll finally have enough room to let my acros breath into full colonies, as well as get some fish that I'm limited to having at the moment. 

Anyways, stay tuned, and if you've made it this far, congratulations! 

51949803422_c1c0490771_o.jpg

51950783851_731bdaece3_o.jpg

51950784876_107029be69_o.jpg

First things first, got rid of the painted black "back" which will now be the side :)

51950783821_5813a8d96d_o.jpg

51950782431_c994a0d08d_o.jpg

21 minutes ago, WheresTheReef said:

Nice! Looking forward to your build. 

Thanks! I think I mentioned something to you about wanting to upgrade. It was like 45 minutes later that day I nearly posted up a WTB, and then this was posted. It was meant to be!

Yeah those scratches are only noticable when algae grows in them... buff the algae out and they're hard to see. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

Congratulations Isaac! Will this be in the same spot as the nano? Looking forward to seeing you find success with this one.

35 minutes ago, nburg said:

Yeah those scratches are only noticable when algae grows in them... buff the algae out and they're hard to see. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

Yeah, will have to keep the glass clean, something that’s tricky without bumping corals currently. I could easily just keep trimming this tank back, but it feels like by the time I’m ready to swap over, this will be ready.

17 minutes ago, howaboutme said:

Congratulations Isaac! Will this be in the same spot as the nano? Looking forward to seeing you find success with this one.

Thanks! That’s the plan. I actually intend to keep the sump and lighting the same. Balling on a budget. I will also combine the frag tank in, and turn that into an actual frag tank instead of another display.

I'm excited to see how you fill this tank up!

That makes two of us!

I can see some pink at the tips of the HW when I enlarge the picture.

Glad we didn't have to do an intervention to get you to upgrade to a bigger tank.  Those corals were cramping in the nano.  Look forward to seeing it gets as colorful as the nano.

Can't wait to see it up and running.  Any specific fish you're looking to get with the upgrade in size?

A copperband and a yellow tang. I’ve toyed around with a few wrasse I’d like, but I don’t intend to put a lid on it, so probably stop there.

I can see some pink at the tips of the HW when I enlarge the picture.

Glad we didn't have to do an intervention to get you to upgrade to a bigger tank.  Those corals were cramping in the nano.  Look forward to seeing it gets as colorful as the nano.

My theory is it’ll take a month to pull the colors back.

There have been private interventions for years now, lol! Good news is, a lot of my equipment is so over the top already, it can easily shuffle over. I still want to take my time and set it up exactly the way I want, or else I won’t be worth it. I will need to find a smaller couch, or chair to go along the side now.