Back on the overflow jam

YHSublime

So last time I drilled a tank, I ended up going with an Ebay overflow box by a company called modular marine. I was very pleased with the quality of their boxes, but now it seems they are no longer selling anything, or at least I couldn't find any listings. 

I'm in the process of deciding if I want to drill a Mr. Aqua 22 Long and install an overflow box, or keep the custom Oceanbox Design internal overflow box present. 

Obviously easier, and potentially cheaper, to run without a sump, but I started looking at a few drilled nanos, and started teasing the idea of "how it would be nice to have SPS again as well." 

I'm back again looking at the reef savvy ghost overflows, and it looks like there is a 6 week lead time. Thought it might be fun to see if I could find somebody to do a 36" coast to coast (or a 12" C2C peninsula?) Maybe I go with something like this from MarineDepot?

Lots of decisions that need to be determined by form following function first. Open to ideas or suggestions!

Why do you need an overflow to grow SPS? Last I heard, that was never a requiremnet...

Desires to run a sump.

Has a very shallow, very clean, low iron glass tank and I'm sure wants to maintain the clean look.

Surface skimming provided by the overflow is nice to have and the constant water level in the tank is a nice bonus. 

As to the original question, I too was trying to find some parts from ModularMarine but they've been unresponsive to emails for at least a couple months now. Eshopps has a ghost knockoff but the external box hangs quite a bit lower than the internal; I'm sure it works fine as the original Ghost was the same way but it just looks odd. 

lg-st-98134-92443R_024-lg.jpg

Why do you need an overflow to grow SPS? Last I heard, that was never a requiremnet...

Madweazl is correct, I don't need an overflow to grow SPS, but the internal box, although practical, takes up quite a bit of realestate in the tank, it would be nice to have a sump for the purpose of keeping equipment out of sight and maintaining that sleek look. 

Desires to run a sump.

Has a very shallow, very clean, low iron glass tank and I'm sure wants to maintain the clean look.

Surface skimming provided by the overflow is nice to have and the constant water level in the tank is a nice bonus. 

As to the original question, I too was trying to find some parts from ModularMarine but they've been unresponsive to emails for at least a couple months now. Eshopps has a ghost knockoff but the external box hangs quite a bit lower than the internal; I'm sure it works fine as the original Ghost was the same way but it just looks odd. 

Looks like they stopped selling all together. I saw Eshopps stuff, I guess it's OK? My old 180 had acustom Aquabox overflow, that was modeled after the "ghost overflow" concept, as the PO had already drilled 3 massive holes in the back of the tank. 

The tank in question is a Mr. Aqua 22 long, with strange dimensions, 36" long and 12" wide. If I were to do a peninsula style, I'd like to have a full 12" overflow and do a peninsula coast to coast. 

I'm getting ready to build an ADA style stand, and how it's built will be determined by the choices I make here. I think if I find a low enough profile overflow to run within my 12" space, I'll go peninsula. If I go with the standard horizontal display style, I'll just keep the internal overflow box. 

I've heard of people actually using plastic file hangers as an over flow.

Who knew?

Haha, I've seen that on some of the back end postings from about 8 years ago. It's important that I find something that looks clean, or else I'll just keep it as is. 

I have the Eshopps eclipse M and would recommend it to all. Low profile and very quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Synergy Reef Systems Shadow Overflow might meet your needs. It runs about $160 right now and is often in stock. It's pretty much a mass-produced knock-off of Felix's Ghost Overflow. (Felix may have a part in this as well, but I'm not sure. He didn't seem to have much heartache about it when I asked him about it last year.)

Buy some glass and make your own......
Banner glass will cut to your needs.....it was surprisingly easy when I did mine, made an internal and external with glass and silicon, couldn't believe how strong the bond is.

Coral hind ran the file hanger and truthfully it looked fantastic.

It's like sumps, buy premade or make your own...

I have the Eshopps eclipse M and would recommend it to all. Low profile and very quiet.

Do you by chance have any pictures of it on your setup? 

Synergy Reef Systems Shadow Overflow might meet your needs. It runs about $160 right now and is often in stock. It's pretty much a mass-produced knock-off of Felix's Ghost Overflow. (Felix may have a part in this as well, but I'm not sure. He didn't seem to have much heartache about it when I asked him about it last year.)

I looked into that, but the 16" is just 4" larger than what I would need. Very slick and clean. 

Buy some glass and make your own......

Banner glass will cut to your needs.....it was surprisingly easy when I did mine, made an internal and external with glass and silicon, couldn't believe how strong the bond is.

Coral hind ran the file hanger and truthfully it looked fantastic.

It's like sumps, buy premade or make your own...

Or get somebody to build you one ;) 

I guess I wouldn't be pushing enough flow through or out that I'd have to worry, I'd worry about my craftsmanship though.

The picture that I included might give a better idea of what I'm trying to do here. The left hand side is what it would look like if I ran just the internal overflow box on the stand. The right hand picture on the stand is if I did the peninsula, and then found/built a 12", or smaller, overflow box, which would allow me to run a bean animal out the back. I'd then cover the overflow box, which is that shaded portion to the right of the tank. 

So you want to put this on the narrow end? Instead of a straining (toothed) overflow, have you considered just a smooth top surface? This would allow you to get a single glass sheet cut to size. Of course, you'd have to do something to mask the inside of the overflow from view if that is a concern to you.

NAGA made me a glass external C2C overflow box with 3 holes for a bean animal.

Edited by WilRams

Smooth top works just fine (but get it level)

But why are you doing full depth?

Do an angled internal and take like 1 to 2 inches out from the side and just below the hole drilled for the external overflow portion......like the file hanger.....

Personally I've always wanted a peninsula tank but .....its your tank

So you want to put this on the narrow end? Instead of a straining (toothed) overflow, have you considered just a smooth top surface? This would allow you to get a single glass sheet cut to size. Of course, you'd have to do something to mask the inside of the overflow from view if that is a concern to you.

Correct, narrow end. I suppose I could do a smooth top surface, I think that's what Evan was suggesting. It would certainly beat out other pricing options. 

NAGA made me a glass external C2C overflow box with 3 holes for a bean animal.

Still using it? 

Smooth top works just fine (but get it level)

But why are you doing full depth?

Do an angled internal and take like 1 to 2 inches out from the side and just below the hole drilled for the external overflow portion......like the file hanger.....

Personally I've always wanted a peninsula tank but .....its your tank

If I got the glass cut right, I could just do it with x2 pieces of glass on the internal. I'm going to root back through your old build and see if I can pull up the pictures of what you built. 

The peninsula will be a lot more work, but I think if executed properly will be gorgeous. A peninsula nano. 

A big ol' finger to photobucket who has ruined archives of great information in their blackmailing stunt. 

Here is the tank without the built in overflow:

36074031004_90626510d5_k.jpg

And here it is with the built in overflow:

36074031344_0eac6881a5_k.jpg

Here is the custom overflow in question. 

That's alot of real estate

If you go glass, squares/rectangles are easiest,

The reason Dave's internal plastic file hanger worked bonding to the side was the internal water pressure holds it up to the glass vs pulling it off like sump dividers.....so the bond on the internal doesnt need to be that strong....you could get away with an acrylic easily I think which would make an angled design easier.

The external just needs to be deep enough to get full syphon which will depend on tubing size....ill try to find my measurements when using 1 inch tubing.

Internal water level is determined by height of overflow plus water level it takes to Actually flow over....so add a cm or 3 depending on flow rate.

Tank really only needs one hole.....

Overflow needs the 3 (really only 2) but I live dangerously sometimes.

Sent you some pics via email.

If the sides of the custom overflow are too close to the glass panel of the display, you may have trouble cleaning the gap if stuff starts growing there. It'll hide the plumbing but may cause a different problem down the line. Just an observation. 

That's alot of real estate

If you go glass, squares/rectangles are easiest,

The reason Dave's internal plastic file hanger worked bonding to the side was the internal water pressure holds it up to the glass vs pulling it off like sump dividers.....so the bond on the internal doesnt need to be that strong....you could get away with an acrylic easily I think which would make an angled design easier.

The external just needs to be deep enough to get full syphon which will depend on tubing size....ill try to find my measurements when using 1 inch tubing.

Internal water level is determined by height of overflow plus water level it takes to Actually flow over....so add a cm or 3 depending on flow rate.

Tank really only needs one hole.....

Overflow needs the 3 (really only 2) but I live dangerously sometimes.

Sent you some pics via email.

Right? A lot of real estate. A great idea though, especially for those living in small spaces looking for an AIO. I'll PM my e-mail address, although I think you have it. 

If the sides of the custom overflow are too close to the glass panel of the display, you may have trouble cleaning the gap if stuff starts growing there. It'll hide the plumbing but may cause a different problem down the line. Just an observation. 

I was talking about running it the length of the whole tank. Actually using the side of the tank as the overflow. Then I remembered that would make a return a little harder. 

I'm thinking about just caving and doing a glass holes kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the eclipse S would be right down my alley, I should have considered this earlier. Looks like the peninsula nano is about to begin. 

Why not one piece of black out glass on a long end. Drill the bottom, and make it a peninsula. You could get a piece of black acrylic even, and wrap (or paint) the end and sides with black vinyl (or paint).

Make it as complex as possible. That's the most fun for the rest of us. That's #1.

Why not one piece of black out glass on a long end. Drill the bottom, and make it a peninsula. You could get a piece of black acrylic even, and wrap (or paint) the end and sides with black vinyl (or paint).

Make it as complex as possible. That's the most fun for the rest of us. That's #1.

Yes, #1 fun is complication. Once I start obsessing about these things, I tend to roll until they are done. I do like the idea of blacking out that end though, good thoughts!