Looking for a Mentor

mari.harutunian

Im a College Student and new to the hobby. I'm looking for someone I can learn from and communicate with often that has experience and doesn't mind the many dumb questions I am bound to ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mari, may I suggest that you use the entire community as your "mentor" in the hobby? Asking questions in this format benefits others who may have the same questions later on. Taking things private only benefits you and the one you're communicating with. By opening up the conversation to others, not only will others benefit, but you'll learn that there are often many different perspectives to even simple questions.

And, it's a bit cliche, but there really aren't any dumb questions.

Please... ask away.

Tom, I want you to be my Mentor.  When can I move in? :rolleyes:

Hey, you're the one with the boat and the life-of-leisure. I should be coming up that way! 

Mari, may I suggest that you use the entire community as your "mentor" in the hobby? Asking questions in this format benefits others who may have the same questions later on. Taking things private only benefits you and the one you're communicating with. By opening up the conversation to others, not only will others benefit, but you'll learn that there are often many different perspectives to even simple questions.

And, it's a bit cliche, but there really aren't any dumb questions.

Please... ask away.

Up until now that's what I have been doing. There are usually conflicting answers and when it's one person one on one answers tend to be more detailed and helpful- especially if they're in real time. I would probably still pose questions to the community though.

Are you closer to 270 or 95 in MD?  Closer to 495 or Frederick?  There are a bunch of us around MD, but most of the club seems to be in VA.  Of the Maryland ones I think a lot live near Silver Spring. We've lost a couple of Germantown or Gaithersburg reefers lately, but I'm in Gaithersburg and like giving advice more than taking it.  8)  You could drop by to see my arrangement and what has worked for me and pick up some frags.

Up until now that's what I have been doing. There are usually conflicting answers and when it's one person one on one answers tend to be more detailed and helpful- especially if they're in real time. I would probably still pose questions to the community though.

What I like about this hobby is that I everyone has what works for them. There is a lot of opinions among some of the most successful reefers that conflict with each other and yet they all manage to succeed. If you limit yourself to one opinion than that's all you will learn.

In alot of cases your tank will stabilize to your habits and routine.

Are you closer to 270 or 95 in MD? Closer to 495 or Frederick? There are a bunch of us around MD, but most of the club seems to be in VA. Of the Maryland ones I think a lot live near Silver Spring. We've lost a couple of Germantown or Gaithersburg reefers lately, but I'm in Gaithersburg and like giving advice more than taking it. 8) You could drop by to see my arrangement and what has worked for me and pick up some frags.

I'm closer to 95 i think. I don't drive enough to really know better. I'm in Howard county.

What I like about this hobby is that I everyone has what works for them. There is a lot of opinions among some of the most successful reefers that conflict with each other and yet they all manage to succeed. If you limit yourself to one opinion than that's all you will learn.

In alot of cases your tank will stabilize to your habits and routine.

That's true. I'll still pose questions to everyone. But I really like real time responses and this format is a little slow.

Nope! I have a 36 gallon and I live with my parents and commute to school.

:D Same but I have a 40b. Fun stuff

Two of my friends go there! I go to umbc

:D not sure if I know anyone that goes to umbc but yeah! Good stuff :). Is it your first time doing saltwater?

:D not sure if I know anyone that goes to umbc but yeah! Good stuff :). Is it your first time doing saltwater?

It is. I did freshwater before but only in the sense of having a fish in water and that's it. I didn't know anything about the nitrogen cycle.