Aussie elegance experience

GOSKN5

So I have always wanted an elegance, but know their story of being difficult and dying for seemingly no reason..

I have read a bunch on them.. some old some new. Seems like the aussie ones have a much better chance of survival but even they can be hit or miss...

Thoughts on giving either a shot? Or is this still a huge toss up.. I would rather not waste $100+ without a decent shot at success... thanks..

I know I've read that the Indo ones can carry a disease that can kill all of your lps. I think its called brown slime or something like that.

I was in incredible corals this weekend and they had a massive on in their tank. I believe it was for sale. They said it was Aussie but I didnt look to confirm.

I have had both.. aussie and indo.. it's hit or miss on both... if they make it in ok and u can get direct most the time before the lfs has a chance to get them in their tanks it seems to go alot better one acclimation vs 2.. I use to feed mine peices of shrimp everyother day. They seemed to love it. They can be difficult they don't like to be blasted with light usually at the edge of the tank or on the very bottom of a deep tank. I've had a few melt for no reason. One huge one for a few years at my old house. If you can keep sticks you should be able to keep one may take up a try or 2..

Always been one of my favorites but I've never tried one because of the high mortality rate. First one I saw was in a LFSs display and it was positively gorgeous. They had it for many years (early '90s when I saw it). When the shop changed ownership, the original owner took this tank with him (a 70 tall that was somehow aquascaped really well). They also had an arabian psuedo that wasnt the spawn of satan (unlike mine).

Just to add my .02 - I've had this Aussie EC for around 3-4 months and it's done very well at the bottom of the tank, slightly shaded, and what I'd consider low(er) flow.  It's even survived my DWG who insisted on making his den right next to it  :dry: Good luck with the one you got, they are definitely beautiful! 

post-2636151-0-20044500-1476625544_thumb.jpg

I've had an elegance coral in my tank for about a month or so now and it's doing "ok". Half of it seems happy the other half is open but slightly retracted. I try and shade it and put in a lower flow spot. It's quite large so it's tough placement wise.

These used to be one of the most commonly collected corals in the 90s. They ship poorly and tend to get damaged due to not being floated in the shipping bag.

My mentor, Alfonso Vayra, achieved a polyp bailout reproduction with an indo specimen using natural filtration and centrum liquid vitamins in the 90's.

I picked up an Elegance at WAMAS's Frag Fest from Pacific East Aquaculture, it did very well up to last week when it got stung by the Wall Hammer (seems to be recovering, thankfully).  I'd definitely recommend checking out Pacific East Aquaculture's collection, the one I got was fragged and healed nicely before sales.

Seems to have shipped nicely.. in the tank last night and stayed mostly closed... came home from work today and this is how it looked (sorry for the overly blue shot, sunset started haha)

d0f870631ffcd6b757afa343b49f1b3d.jpg

Not 100% open but decent for only being in tank just over 24 hours... also saw it grab a piece of food and eat when I fed the tank...

Oh wow that's nice. What's the size on it you get it off DD or LA

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It's about 4" or so.. has 4 large polyps.. from DD..