Milky water

Joshifer

Waters milky today. Not panicking over it just wondering why.

Tested ammonia nitrites. Nitrate. Everything's normal.

Maybe something went sexual? A trochus snail?

I don't have any of that caul-whatever green macro.

I run Purigen and Chemipure elite. Nothing died that I'm aware of. Would activated carbon help?

I hope it's not an algae bloom. It's not a green tint it's a white tint. Maybe bacteria bloom? I moved the koralia up for more surface agitation in case it's Bact bloom.

Edited by Joshifer

Put a piece of white paper at one end of the aquarium and view it from the other end. That's the best way to look for color. It could be a bacterial bloom (if you've overfed) or it could be a single-celled algae (that can look milky but often appears light green under the right circumstances. It could also be particulate. The fish are all behaving and acting normally, right? If it's a bacterial bloom, oxygen levels often drop causing the fish some distress.

Did you do a water change today? My snails almost always spawn following a water change... it's enough to make my water very milky... I have gained several new snails tho!

Did you do a water change today? My snails almost always spawn following a water change... it's enough to make my water very milky... I have gained several new snails tho!

That's interesting. I've never had snails spawn to the level that the water gets noticealy cloudy. Then again, my tank is pretty large. 

(edited)

Fish are okay. I actually been feeding a lot lately garlic based foods because I don't know what's going on with the Royal gramma. I went from every other day to twice a day. Figured boost everyone's immunity with the garlic and vitamins.

I did a water change Friday. The milkyness started Saturday a little. And today it was a little more. It's not like i can't see into the tank. It's just I can see rays of light passing thru the water. It's not green or brown it's deffinately white.

I turned the lights out. Added an air stone. Pointed the koralia up for surface aggitation. Corals aren't closed up. Fish aren't lethargic or acting funny. Their playing in the koralia lol.

Did another test. Still ammo 0 trite 0 trate below 5.skimmer is skimming tea colored. Not green or white.

Edited by Joshifer

(edited)

Skimmers running. Have Chemipure elite. I put an air stone in there. Just gotta keep an eye on the salinity. Gonna go back to my regular feeding schedule. Skip a day. hopefully it'll go away fast. I read UV sterilizers clear this up in 8 hours. Wishing I bought it when I found it for $10 in the clearance bin.anybody got a hob UV I can borrow? lol

Edited by Joshifer

That's interesting. I've never had snails spawn to the level that the water gets noticealy cloudy. Then again, my tank is pretty large.

I will have to get a video or picture next time they do it... the first time I had no idea why my water was cloudy... my tanks a 120 with another 30 or so gallons on the sump end... my fish go nuts when they do it...

I will have to get a video or picture next time they do it... the first time I had no idea why my water was cloudy... my tanks a 120 with another 30 or so gallons on the sump end... my fish go nuts when they do it...

Sounds like food (from the fishes' standpoint) What kind of snails? Not sure if Joshifer saw any sort of feeding response.

Joshifer, how's the milkiness this morning? 

Here is what happens when you accidently dose a whole liter of vodka into 270 gallons worth of water after making a mistake with your apex programming... everything died.

83b5dc03caf2c13115f6caab7e0a1c13.jpg

Here is the "before" pic

637915fb3b6921930cb3936dfea4a37d.jpg

Edited by Rob A

It's still a little milky. But nothing seems stressed. I was just worried about suffocation. But everyone made it thru the night that's all that matters.

I actually been feeding a lot lately garlic based foods because I don't know what's going on with the Royal gramma. I went from every other day to twice a day. Figured boost everyone's immunity with the garlic and vitamins.

i would suggest removal of garlic from your regime. these notions of garlic being an immune booster have never been based on facts or science rather stories passed on. in the last few years there have been a few studies that have sought out to debunk this myth and have shown that garlic can actually cause harm in the form of organ (specifically liver) damage to our fish. i'll take a look at your other thread but if you would like to discuss a treatment plan for a fish, i'm glad to help when i can - shoot me a PM. g'luck!

I read UV sterilizers clear this up in 8 hours. Wishing I bought it when I found it for $10 in the clearance bin.

you are better off, sir. that $10 UV would likely have been nothing but a paper weight. for UV implementation, you will want to buy a unit made by a reputable manufacturer (pentair/emperor, aquauv, etc), size accordingly, provide correct flow, and maintain accordingly. these gimmicky toys they sell to unsuspecting hobbyists at petco and the like are just that, toys. Edited by monkiboy

(edited)

It's clearing up. I'm using Seachem clarity and white felt from a fabric store. Every time it starts to backup from being clogged I'm tossing and replacing with new. I have a whole yard cost me 59 cents and I'm cutting half inch cubes lol.

Filter socks are completely brown again from the clarity. and I just bleached them last night and let them sit in the sun. Oh well as long as it's working.

Skimmers pulling out a lot of nasty gunk.

As for the livestock. Their normal. I feel bad not feeding them every time I go to change the felt they think I'm feeding them and twirl around. But I can't add to the problem. Corals aren't clamped. Their actually expanding I guess their trying to get more light.

Royal gramma. Still sitting under the ledge. Won't move but isn't lethargic. I'm thinking about dropping him off to Johnny at BRK if their open today. If I can get him out he's in a tight space.

Edited by Joshifer

Johnny may not want him back once he's been in a foreign system because he has lots of his own money tied up in fish in his main systems that could all be put at risk if that RG was exposed to something in your tank.  

Yours is so new and everyone else is doing well, so it's unlikely that you have something nasty, but if I was him I wouldn't want to put it back into my main store system and also wouldn't really be excited about setting up a dedicated hospital system for it.  Also, if he's already acting weird, the added stress of catching, bagging, and driving won't be good for him.  I'd suggest leaving him alone.

(edited)

Johnny may not want him back once he's been in a foreign system because he has lots of his own money tied up in fish in his main systems that could all be put at risk if that RG was exposed to something in your tank.

Yours is so new and everyone else is doing well, so it's unlikely that you have something nasty, but if I was him I wouldn't want to put it back into my main store system and also wouldn't really be excited about setting up a dedicated hospital system for it. Also, if he's already acting weird, the added stress of catching, bagging, and driving won't be good for him. I'd suggest leaving him alone.

I figured he already had a hospital set up or a QT. and ya moving him will add more stress. But I can't spot feed him because of the bloom. so I kinda I don't know what to do. Maybe I can rehome him to someone local with a HT.

I have nowhere to set one up. Space is small here.

Edited by Joshifer

What was the aftermath of that bloom, Rob?

I lost everything but an engineer goby and a few palys. I did 2 massive water changes of 200 gallons each, about a day or 2 apart plus siphoning out the sludge. This happened 1 week before we left on a 3 week vacation. When we got back the tank was in good shape and I restocked. But the loss was devistating. Just posting that pic made me sick to my stomach. Among other things I lost a bunch of tangs, and my breading pair of clowns and their nem.

Edited by Rob A

A few years ago I had a huge Turbo (golf ball sized) in a Biocube 14. For some reason the temp got up to about 84 or 85 and he just cut loose. The water looked like someone dumped a half a bottle of purple up in there. I did a partial water change to try to clear it up and it just kept coming (no pun intended). He finally stopped and everything cleared up eventually, no damage done. 

A few years ago I had a huge Turbo (golf ball sized) in a Biocube 14. For some reason the temp got up to about 84 or 85 and he just cut loose. The water looked like someone dumped a half a bottle of purple up in there. I did a partial water change to try to clear it up and it just kept coming (no pun intended). He finally stopped and everything cleared up eventually, no damage done.

Ew

It's clearing up. I'm using Seachem clarity and white felt from a fabric store. Every time it starts to backup from being clogged I'm tossing and replacing with new. I have a whole yard cost me 59 cents and I'm cutting half inch cubes lol.

Filter socks are completely brown again from the clarity. and I just bleached them last night and let them sit in the sun. Oh well as long as it's working.

Skimmers pulling out a lot of nasty gunk.

As for the livestock. Their normal. I feel bad not feeding them every time I go to change the felt they think I'm feeding them and twirl around. But I can't add to the problem. Corals aren't clamped. Their actually expanding I guess their trying to get more light.

Royal gramma. Still sitting under the ledge. Won't move but isn't lethargic. I'm thinking about dropping him off to Johnny at BRK if their open today. If I can get him out he's in a tight space.

Not a knock on the way you do things, but I've noticed over different posts that you are quick to add in different chemicals/treatments. I personally prefer to let nature take its course in most cases. There are lots of products out there, some great and others not so great. It looks like you've learned a lot from asking questions and from reading online. Patience will be your best friend in this hobby. Spend that money on some nice livestock instead.

Not a knock on the way you do things, but I've noticed over different posts that you are quick to add in different chemicals/treatments. I personally prefer to let nature take its course in most cases. There are lots of products out there, some great and others not so great. It looks like you've learned a lot from asking questions and from reading online. Patience will be your best friend in this hobby. Spend that money on some nice livestock instead.

People on this forum and another forum told me to do this. The chemical and the floss swapping :/ and it's working.

Clarity is a flocculant. It'll clear bacterial blooms, particulates, even snail stuff. That's why it's clearing the water. Unfortunately, if whatever caused the problem is still around, you may see this again.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Glad it's clearing up. I've had a bloom last over a week and didn't stress about it. I didn't lose a anything. I just made sure I had really good surface agitation. The skimmer also adds in a lot of oxygen. Just another opinion to consider.

(edited)

Clarity is a flocculant. It'll clear bacterial blooms, particulates, even snail stuff. That's why it's clearing the water. Unfortunately, if whatever caused the problem is still around, you may see this again.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I caused it by over feeding. Something I'll never do again. I went thru half a yard of fabric and many hours of swapping floss and monitoring perams and oxygen but I'm totally kicking it's ass. Actually. It's a distraction from the gramma dying. So I'm not so bummed out about that.

Edited by Joshifer