Water.

Joshifer

So. I used to use the Walmart ro/di machine. When I lived on one side of town. Never had any problems with it.

These walmarts don't have that machine.

I need to fill a 6G. Once sand and rock in there probably only need 4-5 gallons. Do you think I can use the 1 gallon distilled water jugs to fill it. Top off. Water change. I use chlorine remover regardless of where I get the water.

I don't have the option of buying a ro/di unit my land lord is....lets just say she's a not nice lady. She doesn't even want me to have a tank I had to hide it in the bed room. Lease states something about I can't mess with the plumbing at all even a leaky faucet or loose handles. her father has to do everything. (Rolls eyes).

Edited by Joshifer

You may be able to use a counter top rodi unit. It just screws onto the faucet. Technically you have to remove the faucet aerator, but it just screws off. But that may still be more than your land lady will allow. The rodi unit is small and could be stored in a plastic tote when not in use.

I have used this one and it worked perfect (always had 0 tds):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/251885707178

I'm sure there are other brands and maybe some one could recommend one.

Sorry, I have no experience with using bottled water :0/

(edited)

That counter top one isn't bad. I screen shot it and I'll ask her tomorrow. (She's coming over to inspect the house *rolls eyes again*) I'll tell her I wanna use it for cooking water. Lol luckily tank isn't setup I'll just hide it in the car it's still boxed lol.

But if she says no. My question still stands. Distilled water. Not purified or spring. I googled and getting mixed opinions.....anyone wanna gimme 10 gallons of their ro water? Lol oh maybe one of the local fish stores sell it.

Edited by Joshifer

I actually just texted her asking about it and sent her the specs and everything and told her it comes off the faucet and is stored away. Her response. I'm paraphrasing.

"No. No. No. No. No. You break my sink. I kill you and you break lease I put you on the street"

She's foreign lol.

Then I said can I connect it outside to the hose faucet.

W

"yes. And you can go live in you car too"

Reminds me of SNL. "No soup for you"

(edited)

Lease doesn't say anything about pets or aquariums so there's my loop hole when she eventually finds out about the tank. But the plumbing is a no no. And using the outside Hose faucet behind her back. I just looked at it. Copper pipe. Won't that kill my inverts?

Edited by Joshifer

Lease doesn't say anything about pets or aquariums so there's my loop hole when she eventually finds out about the tank. But the plumbing is a no no. And using the outside Hose faucet behind her back. I just looked at it. Copper pipe. Won't that kill my inverts?

No, as long as there is no metal AFTER the RODI it will filter anything out.

In my opinion you should not be keeping a saltwater tank in these circumstances with this landlord and these rental arrangements.  Just enjoy other tanks for a while and save the money you would have put into a tank in a fund that will let you get a better setup in the future.

Sounds like you need to find a new apartment.  But, should you choose to stay, I'd recommend just getting your water from a fish store.  It might be a bit more expensive, but less of a hassle.  Also, you have the right to privacy.  What does your lease say about "inspections?"  You have the right to private enjoyment of the property.

Sounds like you need to find a new apartment. But, should you choose to stay, I'd recommend just getting your water from a fish store. It might be a bit more expensive, but less of a hassle. Also, you have the right to privacy. What does your lease say about "inspections?" You have the right to private enjoyment of the property.

She gives me a 24-48 hour notice before coming. It's a single family home. She says she had a bad termite problem in the foundation. So during the summer she comes a lot. Doesn't stay long maybe 10 mins. I talked to her today and explained why I need the tank and that it's only 6 gallon. She said fine just keep it from spilling on the carpets she doesn't want mold growing under the carpets. I don't blame her there. The ro/di unit she said I can get one but her father has to install it. I have no problem there saves me the hassle lol

Nice to see she is working with you.

Just remember once you get a 6g set up you will want a 60....

I know. Been there done that. Started with 10 and went to 65 lol

It's a 6 gallon tank and after rock/sand you might be looking at 4.5 gallons of water volume. So you change a gallon per week at most.

So go buy 5 gallons of saltwater at a time. And it will last you a month.

A gallon of distilled water for top off should also last you at least two weeks.

Setting up an RO for a 6 gallon tank would not be cost effective.

It's a 6 gallon tank and after rock/sand you might be looking at 4.5 gallons of water volume. So you change a gallon per week at most.

So go buy 5 gallons of saltwater at a time. And it will last you a month.

A gallon of distilled water for top off should also last you at least two weeks.

Setting up an RO for a 6 gallon tank would not be cost effective.

Yeah. I have a big box of instant ocean. Just gonna buy 5 gallons of RO from LFS. Keep that on hand in a bucket for WC. And distilled jug for top offs. It'll cost me most $11 a month on water. Salt will last a while too makes 50 gallons.

I'm curious to know if you are going to use an auto top off. What I was doing for a tiny tank, was using a sort of gravity fed ATO by putting a valve on airline coming from the top off water, then using the valve to adjust the rate of drops of water to match the rate of evaporation. It works out very well for a tiny tank.

Edited by treesprite

I'm curious to know if you are going to use an auto top off. What I was doing for a tiny tank, was using a sort of gravity fed ATO by putting a valve on airline coming from the top off water, then using the valve to adjust the rate of drops of water to match the rate of evaporation. It works out very well for a tiny tank.

Not gonna be using ATO or anything fancy. I'm pretty much always home. Plus top offs are gonna be like. A glass of water lol.

Im talking about an airline and a jar of water. If you plan on going anywhere for a whole day, you might want to seriously consider doing it at least for that day. The 6 I had up was evaporating 1/4 inch a day, and that's a lot for a small tank.