125 vs 180?

Djplus1

I'm considering (in pseudo planning stages) of installing a tank in the wall of my basement, using the utility room as a fish room as there is plenty of piping to tap into if needed and a utility sink if not. I have about 7 feet of length I can cut out of the wall (stupid metal support post prevents a clean 8 feet) This tank would only be view able from the front. What are the pro's and con's of a 125 vs 180 other than the obvious? ie the 125 being deeper requiring stronger lighting or the 180 requiring more maintenance since it has greater water volume. Mainly thinking swimming space (for
Tangs) and aquascaping (for a minimalist mixed reef) concerns.

My goal is to pick up one of these on the cheap in the next few months when someone breaks down and to re use most of my equipment from my previous tank(s).

Secondary question: Will my Reefbreeders 48" Photon be enough light on a 6 ft tank if I'm not planning on placing corals on the ends? I have the stock colors and optics.

Any other ideas are welcome!

Nightowl has a 180 with stand for cheap. Located in ashburn. Not sure if he sold it yet. But the 180 is better then the 125 due to the 6"

As for you light, it's gonna be tough depending on what you plan on keeping. I'm running a 5' fixture on my 6' tank and that works. Depending on how high you put the fixture it might work or if you could change the optics to say 120's that will give you a much wider spread.

You could always build a canopy and mount some smaller kessils on the ends or PAR38's to give u the extra coverage.

180 all the way; gorgeous dimensions. I miss mine so much. 

They're the same height, so lighting would be the same, but with the 180 you'll have better width to scape with plus more a little more sandbed/swimspace. I wouldn't even think there would be a noticeable difference in maintenance.

I think that would be fine if your corals are centered mostly underneath. You could always get some small, cheap lights to put on the ends so it doesn't look like there's only light in the center in case it ends up looking odd.

I didn't think about the Kessils. Thats not a bad idea. I just didn't feel like letting my fixture go to waste while also buying three smaller units.

180 all the way; gorgeous dimensions. I miss mine so much. 

They're the same height, so lighting would be the same, but with the 180 you'll have better width to scape with plus more a little more sandbed/swimspace. I wouldn't even think there would be a noticeable difference in maintenance.

I think that would be fine if your corals are centered mostly underneath. You could always get some small, cheap lights to put on the ends so it doesn't look like there's only light in the center in case it ends up looking odd.

My mistake, I was looking at other sizes also. As it turns out the 180 is actually about 2" deeper than the 125.

I would do 180 or 210.  IMO 125's are just an awful dimension.  you will defenetly want more depth than the 18" that a 125g has.

and +1 to what Sun said.

As for lighting, I dont think the photon 48 will be enough light for a 6ft tank.  But you can add a photon 24 for cheap and fill in the holes.

And -1 for kessils.  They are very expensive for what you get.  IMO china black boxes are better than kessils.

I would do 180 or 210.  IMO 125's are just an awful dimension.  you will defenetly want more depth than the 18" that a 125g has.

and +1 to what Sun said.

As for lighting, I dont think the photon 48 will be enough light for a 6ft tank.  But you can add a photon 24 for cheap and fill in the holes.

And -1 for kessils.  They are very expensive for what you get.  IMO china black boxes are better than kessils.

How likely would I be able to sync the programming of the 24" photon to the 48"? I just wouldn't want 1/3 of the tank on one side not looking like the other 2/3.

How likely would I be able to sync the programming of the 24" photon to the 48"? I just wouldn't want 1/3 of the tank on one side not looking like the other 2/3.

you would just have to program the new fixture to the same as the 48". There is no copy feature on the photons that I am aware of.

180 all the way.

I think that is the perfect sized tank, and will ultimately be what I settle down with once I go big again. The extra depth and height is well worth it.

As for the light, do yourself a favor and do it right the first time. Get two (or 3) or one big sunpower fixture and call it a day. I used to think I'd be OK with my edges being shaded with 3 radion g3 pros over a 6', and I wish I had done 4. I've seen x2 IT2080's cover a 180 with no problem at all.

Without a doubt 180

yes, 180; no questions there. the evergrow 48 won't be enough but you can certainly use it until you figure out your stocking, aquascape, and overall design goals. removing the external optics which are likely 90 degrees and using the LEDs 120 lenses for maximum dispersion and mounting higher will help with coverage. if you're committed to LEDs you can try to sell it and get two it2080s that would cover it very well no matter what you decide to do. some folks like the darker areas of a tank as refuge for fish and corals that might seek it out under cover with appropriate rockscape.

yes, 180; no questions there. the evergrow 48 won't be enough but you can certainly use it until you figure out your stocking, aquascape, and overall design goals. removing the external optics which are likely 90 degrees and using the LEDs 120 lenses for maximum dispersion and mounting higher will help with coverage. if you're committed to LEDs you can try to sell it and get two it2080s that would cover it very well no matter what you decide to do. some folks like the darker areas of a tank as refuge for fish and corals that might seek it out under cover with appropriate rockscape.

Is there a 24" Evergrow that is effectively the exact same as the Reefbreeders 24 photon? I know that Reefbreeders sets up there colors a certain way stock. Of course, it's discontinued so I'd have to pick up used or buy a more common Evergrow model if it's capable of the same programming to match the 48" I have.

Is there a 24" Evergrow that is effectively the exact same as the Reefbreeders 24 photon? I know that Reefbreeders sets up there colors a certain way stock. Of course, it's discontinued so I'd have to pick up used or buy a more common Evergrow model if it's capable of the same programming to match the 48" I have.

the RB fixtures are just relabeled/rebranded evergrow fixtures with their RC mark up for the sticker or engraved logo on top, etc. the layout is stock to all evergrow fixtures. we've worked on that layout with evergrow over about three or so years. now it's the standard and works very well without fuss over custom layouts. you can still buy extra LEDs if for some reason you just have to augment the layout. the latest it2060 (24" evergrow) now comes with legs and nicer profile and yes i'd be glad to help. shoot me a PM if you have any questions/when ready to order. I place orders about once a month so no need for group buys and offer the lowest pricing to WAMAS member family and that's with a 3-year warranty.

the RB fixtures are just relabeled/rebranded evergrow fixtures with their RC mark up for the sticker or engraved logo on top, etc. the layout is stock to all evergrow fixtures. we've worked on that layout with evergrow over about three or so years. now it's the standard and works very well without fuss over custom layouts. you can still buy extra LEDs if for some reason you just have to augment the layout. the latest it2060 (24" evergrow) now comes with legs and nicer profile and yes i'd be glad to help. shoot me a PM if you have any questions/when ready to order. I place orders about once a month so no need for group buys and offer the lowest pricing to WAMAS member family and that's with a 3-year warranty.

I'd definitely like the layout to match the light I have, so I need to figure out what Reefbreeders used for the 48" as there is a difference between the layout of the it2060 and the photon 24 apparently. Are these fixtures all the same size front to back? Especially the "new" versions? Mine is 8.5".

I'd definitely like the layout to match the light I have, so I need to figure out what Reefbreeders used for the 48" as there is a difference between the layout of the it2060 and the photon 24 apparently. Are these fixtures all the same size front to back? Especially the "new" versions? Mine is 8.5".

due to quantity of LEDs variance getting the same layout is not possible. the evergrow it2060 is what RB relabels as the photon24. yes, same size front to back. layout differences due to dispersion and spread will be hard to notice but we can always provide you the LEDs you want to swap out if there are any significant wavelength LED count differences you find. or I can see about doing a one-off for you based on your design emulation of the 48" evergrow you have now.

I agree I would go 180 or even a 6' 220 but that 125 will not give you the depth you want front to back for a reef or even swimming room for tangs.