Powerheads

edress714

Hello WAMAS, my koralia 1050 just crapped out. I have only one now working. Have a 75g tank. Should I just get a replacement for the one thats broken or just go all out and upgrade to two better ones? The vortechs, if I went with these beasts, which ones would i need and how many of them? Let me know what else you need to know about my tank. Thanks!

one MP40 would probably do the trick. You could get fancy and do two but will need dialed down pretty good. They communicate or connect so if you are into SPS it would be nice to get different flow directions. They are pricy and expect one item per year to crap out if you have two. Usually it's a wet side, but I once had a controller go and another time a power cord. But with the jebao I havnt had much luck with them lasting. The nice thing is they are disposable at the price.

Edited by gmerek2

Yea I don't know if I want to spend that much right now. I have mostly have LPS and soft corals and plan on keeping up with that. 

I could never keep koralias for very long before they give out. MP40 is worth the investment imo, I've spent more in failed koralias and cheap ebay knockoffs than on my Vortechs. Try to find a used one. 

I would go with 2 vortechs MP40 and add the battery back up to protect your livestock if the power goes out.

David

Note to responders: The OP has requested advice, not a WTB announcement here in the General Discussion forum. Please don't reply here with items that you'd offer for sale.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Ok I got the rw4s and man they are small lol I'm sure they're powerful. How do you guys recommend I set them up? And putting one on each side facing each other the best way?

Depends on the rockwork...try to have as few dead spots as you can

Either get a big circle going....have one on the side one on back shooting forward etc...

Play around with it

Nice looking tank....I'd probably throw one on each side pointing down at opposite corners to get s swirl and agitate the bottom or do it on one side of the tank...top bottom front and back side type of thing

I leave mine on wave all day and night.....unless it's a lagoon pretty sure the reef has flow 24 hrs....again up you...

Move it around every couple days till the fish stay out just right or you think you hide the power heads enough....whatever floats your boat

I installed them and have them on 4 with slow waves but they're really not that powerful. Thinking I should of gotten the rw8s :(

I installed them and have them on 4 with slow waves but they're really not that powerful. Thinking I should of gotten the rw8s :(

yeah! I think you should exchange them for 2 rw-8 instead. rw-4 is not that strong and they will reduced power once algae start to grow on them.

get the one with pp8 which has stronger magnet.

So I was confused why the powerheads weren't strong enough for your 75g when they work for my 90g. I just realized my mistake. I'm running rw8s in my 90 and just noticed I put rw4 in my previous post. If you can't exchange them, PM me price you paid and I'll buy one (maybe both) at cost. Sorry for the screw up.

Yeah, it's pretty hard to decide which is enough until you put them in your tank and see the flow yourself. Hopefully, you bought them from amazon. They have good prices and pretty good return/exchange policy.