Small leak in pvc

One fish

Hi wamas. I just hard plummed my sump and have a small leak above a 45 degree elbow. I guess when I glued the part I did not turn it enough or did not apply enough glue. Does anyone know how to fix this without redoing the whole section? When I turn on the pump it accumulates drops on top of the 45 degree. Would running a small thing of super glue around the rim work? Thanks.

Don't try to use tape or glue or anything else that is band aid, as mentioned. Fix it properly, and be done with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would running a small thing of super glue around the rim work? Thanks.

It might work - I had a slow leak at the top corner joint of my 30 cube, and a bead of BRS thick super glue has kept it from leaking for about two years. That being said, it's arguably still a "temporary" solution, and there's very little pressure on my repair location. So, before you try it, decide whether and how much that bead of super glue will add to the pain of redoing everything if it doesn't work. If you decide to go ahead, make sure you monitor that location closely, and be prepared for a re-do.

Isaac and Hopeitlives are right that anything short of a do over is a bandaid, but if you want to give it a try I would drain out the water from the pipe for a day and then do a generous coat of pvc cement on the leak after first cleaning it with some clear pvc cleaner. If you aren't pushing too much pressure it may hold for a while.

Probably more convenient to cut it out now than later, though

Edited by AlanM

just make sure the leak isn't coming from the bulkhead before you redo the whole darn thing. When you can't get your head in there close enough leaks are deceiving as heck. Usually the pipes won't leak even without glue which is why I'm bringing it up

Can also use a coupler pvc fitting in a similar way as mentioned above. However, it requires cutting the pipe just far enough from the leaking 45 that the coupler touches the 45 when it is glued. In doing so it will weld/seal the two fittings together. You will also have to remove a very small section of pipe to account for the coupler fitting. Hope this makes sense.

2 camps here- those who fix it properly and those who put the same time and effort into a band-aid fix.

You decide.

seriously. do it right the first time and fret/worry not your holiday away about a potential hazard.

Is it in the return piping (under pressure from the pump) or is it a drain pipe?

Despite what everyone else is saying, I have "fixed" PVC fittings with superglue and silicone. All were on drain pipes where there is really no pressure to worry about.

If the leaking pipe is subject to pressure from the return pump, you will need to redo it all. If not, there are other ways to skin this cat.