To rinse or not to rinse.... frozen food

Reefer_Madness

Does everyone rinse their foods before feeding? I have been, but thinking about not doing it. I hate throwing away they good looking juice. I think an SPS somewhere in the world dies every time I do.

Good morning everyone!  I do not rinse my frozen food.  I feed twice a day. I would assume that it does add somewhat to the organics, but I have no nuisance algae, so all is good. I would think it would make more since to rinse if you have a very small tank. Otherwise, give it all the goodness, juice and all.

I know certain foods like rods dont need rinsing because he uses RODI to make his mix.  I personally have never rinsed 

This is another of those subjects.   If do searches about this and read other forums, "everyone" rinses their food.  People are pretty adamant about it.

It just reinforces that the "rules" are made by the loudest forum poster and they get repeated by others.........and saying "why" is a good thing.

I think that it all depends on the quality and/or type of food you are feeding. For example, I don't rinse LRS's fish or reef frenzy but do rinse the blister pack mysis cubes from PE Mysis. Mainly because of the liquid content in the mysis cubes.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

The rinsing food came from the idea that you must have 0 nitrate 0 phosphate. But now that has changed more widely, less and less people have been rinsing food.  And the quality has been going up as well.  I can remember measuring the phosphate in my food tray and the test kit was maxed out.  But as of recently is has been measurable in the 1-3 ppm range.  So there is several aspects playing into not needing to rinse food.

I used to rinse my frozen when I first started this hobby and then stopped once I had started my 120g 3 years ago. 

Edited by sethsolomon

I also think it depends on where your nutrient levels are. If you are fighting algae and have nitrates through the roof you might try rinsing while you figure out where the problem is and then once things are under control, stop. 

If your phosphate and nitrates are under control or 0, then I think they serve a purpose in feeding the tank. 

But yeah, there are no "rules" only suggestions from the most recent awesome tank you've seen. 

Except LRS I rinse all my frozen food i.e. mysis, brine shrimp, krill etc. Why do I do it? No good reason...just because I have always done this ever since I had my first pico tank. It probably was a good idea when I had a 6 gallon pico and not so much with my current 210g. But its a habbit now :).