Thoughts on beananimal overflow

CaptBlenny

Yes.

Silent, efficient, and virtually impossible to overflow. Now you will hear the rest of your equipment making noise. Only con might be that it requires a bit more space, but not really if planned right.

Isaac has it right.  Pro is that it is silent and safe.  Cons are that you cant really do it with an off the shelf reef-ready tank.  You must drill or go custom. And it takes up more room and more plumbing.

thanks. I am going custom so it's not an issue for me, but good point. requires more space from the pipes coming out the back and three draining in the sump? So is it fair to say it's more suited for larger aquariums? 

can you discuss some of the design considerations that might reduce space required?

has anyone tried the ghost overflows from reefsavvy?

Rob is right. I have my dual durso setup running almost silently. The right flow and bubble trap make it work pretty well.

However, nn my new build, I'm using a Synergy Reef Overflow. He's the designer and fabricator of the original ghost overflow. I picked up his new 20" model at MACNA. It's not running yet, still a few weeks before that can happen, but I have the overflow placed on the tank and I'm sure I'll be very happy with it. I especially love the removable weir. Not that it'll get removed a lot, but when it comes time to clean, it'll be much easier I think.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Rob is right. I have my dual durso setup running almost silently. The right flow and bubble trap make it work pretty well.

However, nn my new build, I'm using a Synergy Reef Overflow. He's the designer and fabricator of the original ghost overflow. I picked up his new 20" model at MACNA. It's not running yet, still a few weeks before that can happen, but I have the overflow placed on the tank and I'm sure I'll be very happy with it. I especially love the removable weir. Not that it'll get removed a lot, but when it comes time to clean, it'll be much easier I think.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

+1 on the Synergy Overflow! BTW, if you go that route, they prefer you use Bulk Reef Supply because bulk shipping is easier for them...

Edited by lutz123

I run the BeanAnimal on my 240. Been 6 years now and I will never go back to another setup. Easy to setup, easy to tune, quiet, failsafe, no cons IMO. 

I run the BeanAnimal on my 240. Been 6 years now and I will never go back to another setup. Easy to setup, easy to tune, quiet, failsafe, no cons IMO. 

I can agree that I will probably not try anything else, this has been my favorite so far.

In terms of the overflow box, you can read all about that on this thread I started when I was in a similar situation. 

BEST REEFING INVENTION SINCE SYNTHETIC SALT.... Maybe not, bit can you tell I love mine?

Use a needle valve, not a ball valve, make sure you have a larger (maybe much larger) emergency drain that the siphon drain, run the overflow a little high so just a tiny trickle of water is always running down the emergency drain. Much easier to dial in like this than to try and dial it in so that you have a perfect siphon down just the siphon drain.

BEST REEFING INVENTION SINCE SYNTHETIC SALT.... Maybe not, bit can you tell I love mine?

Use a needle valve, not a ball valve, make sure you have a larger (maybe much larger) emergency drain that the siphon drain, run the overflow a little high so just a tiny trickle of water is always running down the emergency drain. Much easier to dial in like this than to try and dial it in so that you have a perfect siphon down just the siphon drain.

Just curious, why the gate valve? Cause ball valves get stuck? Also, if I am using a off the shelf overflow (synegry/ghost) won't that prevent me from using a larger emergency drain?

thanks!

also thanks to sublime for posting his thread on the overflow process. 

Just curious, why the gate valve? Cause ball valves get stuck? Also, if I am using a off the shelf overflow (synegry/ghost) won't that prevent me from using a larger emergency drain?

thanks!

also thanks to sublime for posting his thread on the overflow process. 

Gate valves, because they require more turns to go from full-open to fullclosed, have finer adjustment capacity, making it easier to "dial in."

Yes, sorry, gate valve.  You have to fine tune the rate of the siphon so that the rate of water out exactly equals the rate of water in (from your return pump).  This is hard to do with a ball valve.  Very simple with a gate valve.  

It would, unless you drill bigger holes.  As long as the emergency is the same size or 1/4 inch larger, you'll be ok, but it never hurts to be extra safe.

Another tip: make sure your emergency drain is set up so that it will be obvious if the siphon drain becomes clogged.  i.e. put the emergency drain a few inches above the water in your sump, that way you hear splashing when there is a problem and can immediately remedy it.

To the durso haters still using under gravel filters and metal halides  :ph34r:, this overflow is hands down better.  On a standard reef ready tank it's just as easy (easier?) to set up than a durso because there's no messing around with drilling holes in pipes and adding elbows.  Just slap on a gate valve and you're good.  With a durso, there will always be splashing and salt creep (even if you decide to take up valuable sump space with a good bubble trap) because it draws in air.  A beananimal draws in no air, thus absolutely no splashing, no noise, no salt creep.   :cool:

Jokes aside, the downsides to this overflow are that it can be slightly harder to set up on hang on back/specialized types of overflows, and it has a much greater chance of becoming clogged due to the addition of a gate valve and increased suction.  This risk is mitigated by installing a second emergency overflow with no valves on it and only used for emergencies.  Also strongly suggest gutter guard around the overflow inlets.

Edited by L8 2 RISE

A conventional tank with Durso drains and a bubble trap of some sort are also nearly silent if installed correctly.

True. I have 3 and the only sound I hear is dripping off the plastic screws holding my adjustable weir in place. The biggest sound mistake is when people have too much return water and the drain "flushes" but that is an install issue, not a drain issue.

I just installed one on my new 180g tank. After i got it working correctly, now all i hear my return pump. This is pretty funny because i have a Waveline DC 12000.

Awesome insights.  Thanks for starting this thread CaptBlenny.  I too am planning on putting a BeanAnimal overflow on a custom nano (22g 18 x 18 x 18) that I'm hoping to set up after the holidays. Am planning out the system now and insights/experiences such as this are a big help in the decision making process.  I was originally draw to the BeanAnimal because of the immense safety against overflow that it provides. But, given that it will be set up in my home office, it's great to know it virtually silent as well.

Edited by malacoda

Awesome insights.  Thanks for starting this thread CaptBlenny.  I too am planning on putting a BeanAnimal overflow on a custom nano (22g 18 x 18 x 18) that I'm hoping to set up after the holidays. Am planning out the system now and insights/experiences such as this are a big help in the decision making process.  I was originally draw to the BeanAnimal because of the immense safety against overflow that it provides. But, given that it will be set up in my home office, it's great to know it virtually silent as well.

In this case why not just a herbie instead and save some tank real estate on the plumbing?

Bean is the only way to go. Everything else is obsolete. You only need one gate valve however on your full siphon drain the open channel and emergency do not need a valve (like pictured on the Bean page).

You should also look at herbie overflow too. It only requires 2 holes instead of 3.

^^this. I messed up, forgot the bean is basically a modified herbie and not the same thing. I use a herbie, NOT a bean, sorry. though it's still very simple and fail safe. Bean is just a little less simple as far as I can tell.

Edited by L8 2 RISE