Sourcing Wood for a stand

YHSublime

Does anybody know where I can source some big wood slab pieces around the Northern VA area? Or even further?

I'm looking for a natural unfinished piece of wood, no bigger than 7' long, but no smaller than 6' long, and about 15" deep. Something like in this picture, but probably a little larger.

My dimensions are pretty specific, but I don't mind if they don't fit specifically, I like the natural rivets of this style of unfinished wood, I just need to make sure the "core" of the piece is enough to handle a tank.

The style doesn't matter. I like the one pictured, but I've seen them with everything from oak, to mahogany, pine, etc.

I might also be interested in slabbing some barn style pieces of wood in the dimensions above as well. If anybody has some direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

woodpiece_zps72j7ze6t.jpg

Vienna Hardwoods or Colonial Hardwoods.

Like most slabs for sale their is a bit of planing (leveling the surface) involved and making sure that it is Kiln dried (stabilized) otherwise the general rule of thumb is one year one inch to fully dry. I know that Colonial will do that for you but they do charge steeply for it. 

Edited by SaltLife

Ask a woodworking studio or club? There is one in Rockville. I was thinking about joining when I build my next stand, so I can use the tools there.

http://www.localwoodva.com

I was looking at these guys a few days ago for a few planks of wood. Need to build a "farm table" for the wife.

There's also one out near Manassas I think, but I can't find a link for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I saw that place. Looks like it might be an arm and a leg! I better not let my wife see, she lives the farm tables.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

does this mean you're setting up another big tank?

Not big. Itty bitty.

And thinking about it. Seeing if I can build it first, then will decide. And by decide, I mean see if the wife approves. She LOVED the jelly fish tanks at MACNA, but I have no interest in keeping something that only lasts for 6months - 1 year.

Just search "live edge wood" in ebay search

Will do, funny though, I found some stuff on Etsy that was reasonable... weird how that works.

I think I have found somebody local who is going to help me out, hopefully this will come out the way I'm expecting. I've got a bunch of rock I need to sort through and maybe cook.

I might be able to help you but it might be a couple months before I get back to WV and run our families small saw mill. Depends on how much of a hurry you are in. I got Fazio some really nice walnut that was 8' x 15" x 2". He made a really nice dining room table out of it. Shot him a PM as he might have some boards left over.

I might be able to help you but it might be a couple months before I get back to WV and run our families small saw mill. Depends on how much of a hurry you are in. I got Fazio some really nice walnut that was 8' x 15" x 2". He made a really nice dining room table out of it. Shot him a PM as he might have some boards left over.

I appreciate that. Not in a big hurry. I remember Fazios piece, did he end up using some on his stand as well? I've seen him trying to sell the stand on Craigslist, I wonder if it's still around. That piece might be just right.

No, he got the wood for the stand before he found out that I could get it for him. If you saw his large dining room table, that wood came from me.

I did, and I remember it was nice, but I just can't picture it 100%. I'm sure it's georgous.

abernethy sticks in Kensington, MD is fantastic for exotics and detailed diligent care and work of their woods. I'd be happy to facilitate for the cost savings and delivery if interested as well.

Thanks all! Overwhelming response!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk