just moved my tank...wow, tough

matt

So I guess I realize now why some people pay to have their tank moved or simply sell off everything and start over.

I just movd my relatively small 46g tank 15 minutes down the road to our new house. I told myself no worries got this...haha. I started at 4:30 and just finished at 1:30...sorta. Corals corals everywhere... had a hard time finding horizontal space in all mg tubs and buckets.

Neighbor hurt his back and couldn't help after all...so my 6mth pregnant wife helped carry out the empty tank and stand. That's love. After that she was pump girl filling buckets and tubs wherever I pointed that needed water or no water.

So I left the new house to go back to a real bed...move in this weekend... left with most rock in the tank, a 5g bucket working as a short term sump, and a tub with 15-20g of corals and fish circulating. The tank was too cloudy to see where I was putting anything I might feel bad about breaking.

I go back tomorrow evening to try and finish up. Holy smokes..I hope I don't move again for a long time.

Just did it myself.  Sold 80 percent of my corals and still had a trash can full.  Took me a few hours because I reverted it to a frag tank

I helped dmatt on here move his 180 ten minutes down the road and it wasn't overly horrible, but that was with us using two 100G stock tanks. Still took quite some time to get it all done. I know personally I am worried for my upcoming move from MD to NOVA. I have a 150G, 24G, and 20G Fresh. :wacko:

I helped dmatt on here move his 180 ten minutes down the road and it wasn't overly horrible, but that was with us using two 100G stock tanks. Still took quite some time to get it all done. I know personally I am worried for my upcoming move from MD to NOVA. I have a 150G, 24G, and 20G Fresh. :wacko:

I could help you on this end when you get down depending on when your move is.  

Just did it myself.  Sold 80 percent of my corals and still had a trash can full.  Took me a few hours because I reverted it to a frag tank

Yeah, I tried to sell some frags before the move..only had one taker. I guess I could have said I was moving, but I didn't want people coming in and asking for firesale prices when I'm already a reasonable guy. Wish I had more overlap so I could have set up a frag tank...had planned to have another larger tank for short term staging on the arrival end but when my help bailed I just let it go.

Yeah, using stock tanks and beng prepared for that is smart. I assumed that when I took out virtually all my sand that I'd be able to breakdown, transport, and set up again same day. Stuff is end holding tank anyway. I gotta get it back in the tank real soon though...I'm not set up for lighting two systems. Here's to hoping I can remount without too much drama.

Well lucky me, I broke my old 75 shortly before my last move. I crammed everything into a couple of 40 hexes, then sold my yellow tang because it was freaking out in the confined space. Got another 75 set up after I moved.

I didn't know you moved, Matt.

Hope it went well, there are lots of good WAMAS members out your way that probably could have assisted! I'm about ready to jump onto the SPS bandwagon, but want to do a few more starter pieces first. Perhaps I'll hit you up if you still have anything FS around the meet.

Well, bad news. Insufficient time, insufficient planning, insufficient water, competing priorities... net result is all dead fish, half or more sps dead. I screwed the pooch on this one.

Jason, thanks for the offer to help last minute, but I got too tied up in the house move and couldn't have transported. Had to hope for the best, but my fears came true.

RIP (so far)

Yellow tang, potters angel, starki damsel, clown

Pink Lemonade, Cali Tort, Red Dragon, Marshall Islands blue, green bottlebrush, starburst cap, Red City table, Red Planet, zoas

We'll have to wait and see on:

Hawkins, Pearlberry, wild plana, tricolor valida, and the milliporas ...most montipora looks like it will make it and the millipora looks pretty decent

Next time, I'm selling colonies outright

Sad day

Hi all - I'm thinking about moving mine as well.  When it gets moved, does the tank need to cycle again before I put my coral and fish back in?

no- it's simply transferring livestock into a bucket, then draining the tank, moving the tank, then dump stuff out of the bucket back into the tank. If you're moving it for a construction project and plan on moving the tank back, you'll fare better if you remove the sand and re-introduce it after the final move has occured and system parameters/water chem is stable.

Hi all - I'm thinking about moving mine as well.  When it gets moved, does the tank need to cycle again before I put my coral and fish back in?

Should have reached out to people.  Would have gave me a reason to go pick up my light from Maryland. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing my pain. Trying to see the positive side of a full reset...my kids are helping me stay positive too. It's tough becuase I almost always buy frags...so while I don't spend a lot I've been watching these corals grow for quite a while. Not to mention the fish.

med_gallery_2632921_1458_603150.jpg

My son above is 5 yrs old...for scale. RIP...from left to right:

-Starburst cap

-Rainbow granulosa

-Pink lemonade ("small")

-green bottlebrush

-pink lemonade colony

-marshal islands blue

-red dragon (about 1/2 size of what I lost...dropped the skeleton and broke a lot)

-cali tort (huge, this was one of my first SPS in this tank)

-red planet

-hawkins echinata (huge!!)

-red city table

Not pictured:

- ORA pearlberry

- 3" hawkins frag

- big milli colony

- Tricolor colony