Potassium

tpallas

I dosed and tested K for 3 months. Used blue bottles. I saw no change in color, or growth that I wasn't already getting from Reef Crystals, that has a healthy amount already in it. Seemed like a useless endeavor in my specific experience.

Tony what product can we use that is a cheap k supplement?

Potassium Chloride. It's a table salt substitute, You can also find it in bulk on ebay.

Testing with Salifert kit, I currently dose Brightwell Potassion to keep my potassium level around 425-450ppm. This supplement has had a noticeable impact on coral coloration. All my corals are brighter and deeper colored, especially the blues and purples.

I'll have to look into the cheaper alternatives mentioned above when I run out of the BW Potassion.

Edited by Curtis Scott

Potassion is good and effective.  I also have "Now Foods Potassium Chloride" from i herb dot com.  220 grams for $5.

What is the ratio when you mixed it?

do you have to mix the powder with rodi water first? if yes, what is the ratio? Thank you very much for quick reply

I am not picky about what water I use.  It could be existing tank water, RO/DI or tap water.  I mix the amount of potassium chloride I need with 3 or 4 cups of water, stir and pour in sump.  

Edit.  I normally dose enough to move the potassium value 10 ppm or 20 ppm at a time.

Edited by ridetheducati

I measure with the salifert test kit occasionally and dose KCl to maintain 400 ppm as well.  I haven't noticed any improvement from the dosing, but it's cheap so I figure why not maintain levels similar to NSW.  Once I get around to figuring out my consumption  I plan to dose it with MgCl. 

I use saliferts as well. I can not keep mine at any normal level. It constantly sits around 350 or 360 when I don't dose, and that's with weekly 30 gallon waterchanges on the 250 gallon system. I go through a 500ml bottle as fast as I can dose it and after I get the level around 420 it is done and the level drops back to 360 in a matter of weeks.

I ordered some of the potassium from iherb and will try to maintain it with this. I may need a Doser... I am not sure if the mazzei injector pulls out potassium more than other skimmers but I thought needle wheels were the ones that do that.

I measure with the salifert test kit occasionally and dose KCl to maintain 400 ppm as well.  I haven't noticed any improvement from the dosing, but it's cheap so I figure why not maintain levels similar to NSW.  Once I get around to figuring out my consumption  I plan to dose it with MgCl. 

Yoda has spoken

I use saliferts as well. I can not keep mine at any normal level. It constantly sits around 350 or 360 when I don't dose, and that's with weekly 30 gallon waterchanges on the 250 gallon system. I go through a 500ml bottle as fast as I can dose it and after I get the level around 420 it is done and the level drops back to 360 in a matter of weeks.

What salt are you running?

Does anyone close have a good potassium test kit I can use to test against mine? I am using saliferts. I dosed everyday last week with brightwells and measured today and it was lower :(

You can try my salifert.

Oh I forgot. I also have the Red Sea potassium pro kit which takes like 15 min to perform. It's about the same as the salifert for me.

--

Warren

Edited by wangspeed

You can try my salifert.

Oh I forgot. I also have the Red Sea potassium pro kit which takes like 15 min to perform. It's about the same as the salifert for me.

--

Warren

Thanks man I will text you after work today.

• 1 month later...