Zoa and Paly deaths?

Djplus1

So I'm not certain what is happening, but I recently had a couple plugs just sort of evaporate on me. I have an area that has a bunch of various zoas and palys all next to and on top of each other, which has never been a problem in regards to warfare of any sort. 

The strangest occurrence involves nuclear green palys which were right next to another plug of nuclear green palys. The one plug and all the surrounding polyps from it all but died off, so I took the remaining 4-5 polyps from the plug and moved it to my frag tank. 

Two other plugs in the same general area with semi nice zoas are now completely gone or are a week or so from completely disappearing. 

The other spots in my tank (including directly next to where this is happening) are doing fine, in fact they are doing very well and are starting to crowd out some nice encrusting corals next to them.

Any idea what could be making this happen ?

I thought  you were going to tells us about an article where some human died!!! :blink:

Not sure why that would happen, but I have one corner where some of my Zoas are dying back, but the Acans next to them are thriving. :blink:

I have lost colonys in a matter of days right next to other zoas that were doing great. I Tried changing everything and was unable to stop it. Im following along just to see if anyone has any ideas

I tried flow, lighting, food, vitamin C, using a turkey baster to blow off anything that could be making them unhappy and moving them. Its my understanding that they love amino acids but i have yet to try it.

Sometimes it happens. Talk to Ben, I think it's part of the zoa game

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It wasn't that rapid. It has slowly taken place over the last couple months. Just out of nowhere the individual polyps will start closing up and/or releasing their "footing" to the rock or plug and drifting off to where ever it is that zoas go when they die. But like I said, it's not widespread and only affecting one or two patches that are/were associated with a particular plug(s), and everything associated with that plug will die, but not the coral next to it (even if its the same species).

I had issues when first starting in the hobby. I think a lot of it had to do with parameters since I didn't test and also didn't do much water changes then. Do you happen to test? How long has this tank been set up?

Edited by gmerek2

I had same problem and think my cause was fish feeding on them because I have seen few of them nipping at certain ones more then others.

I have had a lot of problems keeping zoanthids and palys, in spite opf the fact that I used to have tons of them. I attribute to mostly the asterinas. Those jerks will hunch themselves clinging hard to the tops of perfectly healthy polyps. They stick pretty tight on there, are hard to pick off. (Note: these are the sort of puffy asterinas with the gray or black blothes on the backs... I used to have a different type of asterinas which did not do this to zoas/palys).