Giesmann vs. Hamilton vs. Reef Brite

KenB

I’ve narrowed it down to three fixtures.  Not sure I want to pay over $2k for the Giesmann but it looks slick and sounds like the best quality.  Hamilton’s look a little bulky but seem like the best value.  I like the LEDs on the Reef Brites and they are made in NJ but they don’t make a 72” fixture and I would need three pendants which will look a little messy with all the wires.

Anyone have any experience with these or any thoughts?

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/giesemann-infiniti-series-metal-halide-t5-fixtures

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/hamilton-technology-250w-6-cebu-sun-metal-halide-t5-system

http://www.marinedepot.com/Reef_Brite_HyBrid_Metal_Halide_15_inch_Pendant_with_XHO_LED_strips_20_Inch_Metal_Halide_Light_Fixtures-Reef_Brite-3M01100-FILTFIMHTN-vi.html

I know you're looking at the whole fixture (with MH,) but I use a reefbright off my ATI 8x80 sunpower, and I very much enjoy it.

DSC_0198_zps5076121a.jpg

Not nearly as nice looking for sure, but you could go DIY, save some money and get some crazy PAR.

With many members going LED, halide lighting components can be found for cheap.  I set this fixture up for less than $200 I think.  And that included 3 reflectors (I only used 2), bulbs (used), and 3 ballasts (again, I only used 2).  I am getting 750 PAR at 12" of water.  I never got numbers anywhere near that from my pre-assembled fixtures.  The reflectors and ballasts were just not as big or nice when they have to fit in a small package.

Just food for thought.

Good luck,

Bruce

gallery_965_1344_41635.jpg

I absolutely love my Giesemann MH/T5 fixture and it is extremely well built.

I bet you do :) The three you compared are not. Even in the same ball park That said Bruce is correct PAR is you ultimate goal. Consider how your display will be setup. Search for a Giesmann in need of repair and mod it. With ReefBrites connected.

I am one of few Wamasers converted from LED back to MH/T5. I am running Giesemann fixtures on my two tanks and i absolutrly love them. Giesemann Infinity uses double ended bulbs so the light coverage area is less than other 2 mentioned fixtures

A giesmann with reef brites would nice!!  Been looking but haven't been able to find a used one

A giesmann with reef brites would nice!!  Been looking but haven't been able to find a used one

Google Giesmann Craigslist. That is how I have found all of mine.

you mentioned: "...like the LEDs on the Reef Brites and they are made in NJ but they don’t make a 72” fixture"

reefbrite does make 72" fixture in both their TECH and XHO line. we sold a few in our last GB here and tested the XHO and that thing cranked out some LIGHT on my 30" 265g. I haven't found another reliable supplemental actinic solution that comes close.

don't buy any LED unless it comes with a fan or is used in a fan cooled fixture. heatsinks aren't enough to dissipate the heat alone. #1 reason of component failure is heat.

don't buy any LED unless it comes with a fan or is used in a fan cooled fixture. heatsinks aren't enough to dissipate the heat alone. #1 reason of component failure is heat.

My 72" reef brite is designed to work without a fan and is on year 3? The cool thing about the reef brites is that you don't get a lot of the shadowing people complain about as with the compact led fan cooled units. The disadvantage to the reef brite is price and you will probably have to buy 3 72" for your tank. They do take very little power and will save maintenance costs

On all of the Ecoxotic lights, par 30 bulbs, early AI's and some of the early knock-offs all have issues when the fan isn't present or working. I'm basing this solely on my experiences with them. Fanless LED's spell trouble in my book.

With all that said, I have a Kessil A350w and it's going on 2 years.....

I'm leaning towards the Hamilton Cebu with 250 W electronic ballast.  Not sure on the 10K vs 14K bulbs.  It's not the most attractive fixture but seems functional, assembeled in USA, and has fans.  With the 10% MD discount and free shipping it's around $1,100.  Been scrounging around on craigslist and ebay for something used but can't find what I need.  The Giesmann was going to run close to $3K.  Seems to me the LED technology is still moving along pretty fast and with the hamilton I think I could retrofit the T5s down the road with LEDs if I wanted.  Need to do something soon since I'm running on two out of three bulbs now. 

Check with Steve a Quantum Reefs . Caution this fixture will not hold it's value if you decide to sell and go in a new direction !!! Just my .02