Here's my plan...

WilRams

About a month ago I decided I wanted a reef tank. I have been doing as much research as I could. I figured the next step is to just go for it and learn my way through. I won't call this a build thread just yet. Once the tank (50g CADLights Cube) gets here later this month ill start one. Heres what I got!

My dog watching me open boxes

post-2635412-0-61221400-1417746188_thumb.jpg

and the bounty!

post-2635412-0-15204000-1417745915_thumb.jpg

Radion XR15w Pro
RMS Mount
2 MP10's
Apex with PH probe
Apex WXM Module
Apex Probe Mount

Tunze ATO

Float Valve

Milwaukee Digital Refractometer

Hanna Phosphate Tester

BRS RO/DI

BRS Mini GFO/Carbon Reactor

I plan on keeping a mixed reef but most likely focusing on LPS to keep it "easier" on myself. As for stocking list I'm not even sure. I know I want a pair of clownfish, a goby/shrimp pair if possible. A Flame Angel? Not sure we'll see once I get there. The plan is to eventually move up to a 4ft tank so I can keep some fish I would really like but won't be able to accommodate in this tank. I am most likely going to return the XR15 for a XR30. I also don't plan on setting up the gfo/carbon reactor unless I start seeing issues.  I haven't done enough research to know much about that hole topic. I figured for the price I would have it handy. I def plan on setting up a QT. I have a 40 long left over from my freshwater days and some other things that will go into that.

So hows it look? What would you change? What would you suggest are my next must haves? I know I don't have everything I need just yet (Heater, rock, sand etc..) but hopefully by the end of the month I'm good to go.

Welcome! I am glad to hear you plan on QT-ing as that can be the difference between success and failure in this hobby! Looks like you are doing great so far.

spuds mckenzie.

Awesome.

Sweet bull terrier! Looking forward to your build.

Are you going to drill the tank or add an overflow and sump, or does it come drilled?

Skimmer, ATO container, stand?

Looks like you have a great start!

Forgot to mention tank comes already drilled, overflow, and sump. It will also come with their skimmer. I am not entirely sure of its performance so we'll find out. Otherwise I will have to upgrade that. For an ATO reservoir I am waiting until I get the tank to see what kind of room I have in stand. If I can't find something that fits I will be looking to get something made to fit in the stand. It's going to be tight that's for sure.

Indeed!  Makes my reef setup look like ghetto trash! 

LOL . I recommend researching your tank selection using Google you will be surprised how many hits you will get. Looking good . I wish you had a 24" Giesemann Infinity or Spectra

About a month ago I decided I wanted a reef tank. I have been doing as much research as I could. I figured the next step is to just go for it and learn my way through. I won't call this a build thread just yet. Once the tank (50g CADLights Cube) gets here later this month ill start one. Heres what I got!

My dog watching me open boxes

attachicon.gifimage2.JPG

and the bounty!

attachicon.gifimage1.JPG

Radion XR15w Pro

RMS Mount

2 MP10's

Apex with PH probe

Apex WXM Module

Apex Probe Mount

Tunze ATO

Float Valve

Milwaukee Digital Refractometer

Hanna Phosphate Tester

BRS RO/DI

BRS Mini GFO/Carbon Reactor

I plan on keeping a mixed reef but most likely focusing on LPS to keep it "easier" on myself. As for stocking list I'm not even sure. I know I want a pair of clownfish, a goby/shrimp pair if possible. A Flame Angel? Not sure we'll see once I get there. The plan is to eventually move up to a 4ft tank so I can keep some fish I would really like but won't be able to accommodate in this tank. I am most likely going to return the XR15 for a XR30. I also don't plan on setting up the gfo/carbon reactor unless I start seeing issues.  I haven't done enough research to know much about that hole topic. I figured for the price I would have it handy. I def plan on setting up a QT. I have a 40 long left over from my freshwater days and some other things that will go into that.

So hows it look? What would you change? What would you suggest are my next must haves? I know I don't have everything I need just yet (Heater, rock, sand etc..) but hopefully by the end of the month I'm good to go.

I think this looks like the best Christmas party ever!

As far as an ATO container, there are some great Slimline water containers that are easily modified for an ATO reservoir and are available on Amazon, WalMart, and Container Store. I love my Apex, and I'm sure you'll love yours too. Definitely follow the instructions carefully for setting up the 4.3 firmware.

Also, definitely join WAMAS! There are tons of great benefits, including quarterly meetings, access to the sale threads, and of course, being able to make a build thread!

Welcome to the SaltLife!

• 1 month later...

So as quickly as this started it ended. Well sort of...

The more I thought of it the more I realized I would want to upgrade much sooner then later. So I might as well get what I want now and not spend money on two different setups. The 50g cube order turned into a 100g. Most things I wouldn't be able to use on the bigger tank got sent back and the fun started all over. After a month of waiting the tank finally ships out tomorrow. Hopefully in the next week its here. In the mean time much to do here. Need to move a sink from the finished side of a basement wall to the unfinished side and remove a "wet bar" (where the sink is) where the new tank will sit. I guess I should start thinking of a build thread.

Any plumbers?

Ummmmm Wow...That's quite a change....

Question, the sink n the basement...plumbed through the concrete?

If so, personally I'd just remove it and cap it if you never used it...

Anyways....yes start a build thread!

So as quickly as this started it ended. Well sort of...

The more I thought of it the more I realized I would want to upgrade much sooner then later. So I might as well get what I want now and not spend money on two different setups. The 50g cube order turned into a 100g. Most things I wouldn't be able to use on the bigger tank got sent back and the fun started all over. After a month of waiting the tank finally ships out tomorrow. Hopefully in the next week its here. In the mean time much to do here. Need to move a sink from the finished side of a basement wall to the unfinished side and remove a "wet bar" (where the sink is) where the new tank will sit. I guess I should start thinking of a build thread.

Any plumbers?

Glad you thought it through to make sure you would be happy. I know if I had started I would have been very, very unsatisfied (my tank is a 90g).

I just purchased the cadlights 70 waiting for the arrival should be here next week!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has yours shipped out? Mine was suppose to ship out last week....but they keep pushing it back because FedEx/UPS keeps running out of trucks so they say. Kind of annoying.

I called them yesterday and they told me they were going to ship today but don't have a tracking number yet! I almost cancelled the order cause I wanted to switch to the 50 cube since I only have one radion pro and the 70 is 35 in long not sure if one light is enough ? They told me the same thing about running out of trucks too. I figured I'll give them a few days maybe call them Monday next week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk