Tricia's Reeftastic, Mr. Boombastic 120g

TrueTricia

FTS

c31494ffada418b7a626e87d094fe7b5.jpg

Here are some other shots from the tank.

fb5a9a0deafed499df599a790255ac79.jpg

Red planet 5e649db861dae5287713c18c10344883.jpg

Red planet frag from Anthony (Fazio) that looks totally different d65c8b17a5e5ad015a763435d3fc9233.jpg

Unknown Fazio acro2ef96af9fc978d84440d5652089b2b68.jpg

Red people eaters1a96d8340f9b0ae5995ad6449c86732e.jpg

Purple stag

b8abc560baec2449c1ee2abee886292a.jpg

aquarium7043.png

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

National tickets. Man if I only had the time. Post some current pics of the set up and I can talk you through a few things.

Posted! I don't hate it. I just don't love it either.

aquarium7043.png

I think your scape is Bueno, don't settle for someone else's work, you got it!

If I was going to change anything I would add some rock to the center/back, maybe a nice flat piece to make a nice ledge.

If I was going to change anything I would add some rock to the center/back, maybe a nice flat piece to make a nice ledge.

I just took one out. But it was huge. Maybe a smaller one? I'm also hoping that the Elkhorn in the back continues growing flat out which would create the same look

aquarium7043.png

the only thing that I would change would be the following:

The rock to the left of the center powerhead, leaning against the overflow, i would move that to the top of that rock structure leaning against the overflow to give it the height

Then clear out the rock between the two structures in the middle.

Lastly, be careful about how close your mounting the SPS.  Once they start to encrust and expand, they will start to kill eachother.  Now would be the time to give them some space to grow.

other than that, it looks nice... :)

So I'm trying to figure out the best flow for my tank. I've got 2 generic power heads and an rw8. The 2 generics are on a wave maker and alternate every 30 seconds. They are on either side of the 48" tank. The rw8 is on the back wall pointing forward and runs at full force all the time. I've got decent flow but low spots on either side of the dual overflows and towards the front of the tank in the middle.

Thoughts?

aquarium7043.png

• 1 month later...

Where you been?! Time to tell us what's up with the tank!?

• 2 months later...

Hi all

I'm so sorry for my absence.  Things have been very stressful in my professional and personal life.  I also feel ashamed and embarrassed for how I let WAMAS down with MACNA as a result of these stresses.  I hope everyone knows I had the best intentions and wish things weren't so crazy.  I was really excited about the opportunity, which just makes the failure that much more harsh.  And lately, I just look at my tank and feel overwhelmed.  I've just slacked off because of stress and time, and the tank has definitely suffered.  I've lost corals, although some are thriving right now, and one fish.  My mandarin is fat and happy, which is a good sign at least. 

I might be moving back to Florida or down to Norfolk for work/personal issues.  I was hoping to know for certain by now, but I still don't.  I don't know if I'll be able to have the tank in our new place, depending on the structural set up.  Despite knowing this, Kevin is buying me fish at MACNA for our anniversary; I only hope that I can keep them, otherwise it's so wasteful. 

I've been battling issues in the tank, like those white nudibranchs, despite having added nothing in the tank in forever.  They now appear to be gone and my montis are slowly coming back.  I also had aptasia, which again, is strange since I haven't added anything.  I finally got Aptasia-X and they appear to be gone.  My ATO tank burst again, drowning my carpet with 3 gallons of water.  I'll have to look for a different one at MACNA.  Those Slimline tanks just don't seem to hold up.  Because the ATO's been off (I kept refilling a few times before I realized what was happening), my kalk hasn't been getting added to the tank, so my levels have been off.  Oh, and red slime algae, so I've increased my vinegar input into the tank.  My Neptune Autofeeder seems to be having issues with condensation, and it keeps getting clogged by moist food. So I'm pretty sure my one fish died b/c it starved before I realized what was going on.  Everyone else is looking healthy, although not fat. 

And, if anyone has a 48" bulb fixture I can borrow/buy, I'd greatly appreciate it.  I had one from a member, but he's starting another tank and needs it back.  I'm hesitating on spending too much on any fixture until I know if I can even keep the tank. 

Thank you all, and sorry for everything.

I have one you can borrow/buy, if you decide you want it. Its 2x150MH and 4xT-5. After Macna I can get it to you.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
(edited)

Hi all!

Long time no talk!  I'm down in Norfolk now in a nice little condo on the water with a beautiful view of the marina and just off the beach.  I've been busy renovating the downstairs, and so I haven't set up my tank yet.  I pulled out the old laminate flooring and installed 4' long tiles made to look like wood.  And I did it all myself.  I just finished grouting over in the tank area, and I'm almost ready to move the tank over and start setting it up.

One of the things I love about the condo is that right behind where the tank will go, I have a nice big crawl space that I can stand up in (underneath the stairs).  I'll convert this to a fish room, and most of my equipment will go back here, including ATO.  I can't find any plumbing, so I won't be able to make RO water in here without some modifications, but I certainly can make water upstairs in my outside storage shed (there's a tankless water heater in there) and pump it into 5 gallon buckets and carry it down.  Not ideal, but still better!

So here's my list of projects:

1. Stand - I'm going to renovate my stand.  After the last rebuild (see the first post in this thread), there's some small things I want to change on the stand.  Namely, I'm going to remove the old back bar from when it was a 90g v a 120g stand.  The old back piece made it very difficult to work with the bulkheads.  And, I'm going to re-skin it, re-trim it, and paint it gray and white to match my living room décor. 

2. Aquascape - I want a completely different aquascape.  I don't know what yet, but I'm thinking something built using rods and such.  Maybe more tower-ish.

3. Electrical - I need to add an outlet or two to the fish room.  Luckily, my next door neighbor is a retired electrician, and there is an outlet box that already in there that goes to the living room, so there's wiring handy.

4. New Lights - I think I'm going with LEDs over T5/MH this time.  I want to keep my electricity costs down as much as possible, including not having to keep my apartment freezing to deal with the heat produced from MH.

5. Fish - So sadly, all my fish died in the move.  You all were right; I should have sold them all.  On the bright side, I get to come up with a whole new stock list.... 

Wants:

Starburst anthias school

Leopard wrasse

Powder Blue Tang

Green/Red Mandarin 

Copperband Butterfly

Tiny juvenile foxface

Bengaii cardinals (captive bred only)

Clowns, TBD (captive bred only)

Orange-back Fairy Wrasse

Edited by truetricia2

Contact Pizzaguy bite the bullet with the Savvy setup he is selling . Fill with water and just push play. I have done the math. Glad to have you back. Frags waiting .

(edited)

I wish! That's a beautiful setup. But the car is going into the shop this morning, and I've travelled a lot this year, so the discretionary funds aren't quite that high. Besides, i would still have to redo his stand to match my decor and that's most of what needs redone on mine.

And thanks for babysitting the frags!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Edited by truetricia2

welcome back - sorry to hear about the fishes. the new stocklist does look fun. nice to hear you have some space available for a dedicated fish equipment area. I'm sure you could find a way to get some RO tubing wherever to source for an RODI in that space and make things more convenient if you have the room for storage as well. post up some photos when you get a chance!

I'm just not sure about plumbing in there.  There's nothing close to it that will really allow me to run tubing there.  I'll post pics now.  I'm so please with the floors. 

And Marco, you know I'm going to be coming to you for a lot of that stock list!!!!