Tricia's Reeftastic, Mr. Boombastic 120g

TrueTricia

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pictures!

Everyone does their kid in a tank, so here's mine!

http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj576/TrueTricia/Fish%20Tank/20141110_182247_zps73gdhvyv.jpg

Ok....it's not letting me add the actual photo. Grrr. I'll have to do this when I'm home tonight. At least there's one picture for your enjoyment.

20141110_182247_zps73gdhvyv.jpg

Edited by truetricia2

Pictures!

Everyone does their kid in a tank, so here's mine!

http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj576/TrueTricia/Fish%20Tank/20141110_182247_zps73gdhvyv.jpg

Ok....it's not letting me add the actual photo. Grrr. I'll have to do this when I'm home tonight. At least there's one picture for your enjoyment.

20141110_182247_zps73gdhvyv.jpg

UUUUUmmmmmmm........aren't catfish freshwater? This is a saltwater forum, get the catfish out of here!

Edited by DuffyGeos

Saltwater catfish are real and the scourge of Florida fishing. They stink, their slime is highly infectious, and their barbs are really sharp. I always just cut the line. Not even gollum would eat one.

Saltwater catfish are real and the scourge of Florida fishing. They stink, their slime is highly infectious, and their barbs are really sharp. I always just cut the line. Not even gollum would eat one.

Justin- you just ruined my joke.......... :dry:

So here's the wood laid out against the old stand.

20141111_091020_zpsppm4nind.jpg

And here's how the poor fish are living in the meantime. There's lots of live rock in with them but it's definitely not ideal especially for the tangs.

20141111_141238_zpsiavsp52i.jpg

So after an initial round of building, my level was off. So dissemble and rebuild.

20141111_103710_zpskwkbtddk.jpg

Edited by truetricia2

Except that when we put the tank up against the wall in the living room, the stand wasn't level and pitched the tank forward so that it didn't touch in the back.

20141112_080549_zpsm0goopud.jpg

So down it came. ... and we tried this. ...

20141115_164251_zpsfmw6rdax.jpg

We ended up with two sets of holes because of pvc alignment issues. But the foam on the bottom helped with double strips in the front helped it to sit flat

20141115_164550_zpscfdynkfg.jpg

Still couldn't tighten the bulkheads so ended up cutting out the holes to just be open slots in the back. And it was finally where it was supposed to be!

20141115_170432_zpsnnxkqwmv.jpg

And the plumbing after one day. I'll take am updated final picture.

20141115_214318_zpsctmmaij2.jpg

Thought about painting the top and bottom rims of the tank white? I've seen it done before and looks really good.

IMG_1108.jpg

Just get some shims, no need to rebuild.  If the top surface is flat so the tank is evenly supported, it won't matter whether it is off 1/8" in level.

We actually did shim the tank too. It helped, but it wasn't quite enough.

Thought about painting the top and bottom rims of the tank white? I've seen it done before and looks really good.

IMG_1108.jpg

Oh I do like the way that looks! What kind of paint? I eventually want to make doors for the stand and skin the sides of the addition. I was thinking of adding some trim to the stand to cover the bottom rim of the tank...

Oh I do like the way that looks! What kind of paint? I eventually want to make doors for the stand and skin the sides of the addition. I was thinking of adding some trim to the stand to cover the bottom rim of the tank...

Most likely krylon fusion.

Great job! I am glad you actually kept your fish in water instead of on the floor :clap:

LOL. They still don't like it.

Most likely krylon fusion.

Hmm. I'm not sure I'd want to use a spray paint at this point (filled with water, plumbed, etc.) but maybe. I know kevin also prefers darker woods, so when we get everythign else finished, I may re-skin the stand in something darker. I'll have to think about this and ask him.

When you're ready to hang your lights I've got the drill bit and concrete screws you can have. I thought I was going to have to shim my stand also, but to my surprise, perfectly leveled!

following along - congrats on the persistence and getting it done. now on to more photos por favor.

Marco! Thank you again for all of your help, and for holding like 10 orders while I finish this process!

When you're ready to hang your lights I've got the drill bit and concrete screws you can have. I thought I was going to have to shim my stand also, but to my surprise, perfectly leveled!

Thank you! I need to check and make sure I'm not going to be violating my lease by drilling into the cement, but I think it will be ok. Once I get the lights from Ken, I'll definitely take you up on that offer.

Edited by truetricia2

LOL. They still don't like it.

Hmm. I'm not sure I'd want to use a spray paint at this point (filled with water, plumbed, etc.) but maybe. I know kevin also prefers darker woods, so when we get everythign else finished, I may re-skin the stand in something darker. I'll have to think about this and ask him.

Oh yeah, definitely wouldn't risk covering up the tank to paint since it is already filled haha.