Tricia's Reeftastic, Mr. Boombastic 120g

TrueTricia

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

should look nice. Poor Kevin. I feel like he's part of some ruse. Just bamboozled over in the corner, staining doors for your stand, which you've convinced him is "ours." lol ;) Good job!

should look nice. Poor Kevin. I feel like he's part of some ruse. Just bamboozled over in the corner, staining doors for your stand, which you've convinced him is "ours." lol ;) Good job!

Hahaha! He says it's "mine" but he helps a lot. He's great about always keeping the 5g containers full of Rodi water since he works from home. He is basically my living ato!

aquarium7043.png

Hahaha! He says it's "mine" but he helps a lot. He's great about always keeping the 5g containers full of Rodi water since he works from home. He is basically my living ato!

That is true love. Honestly, you wont catch him enjoying it, but he will. MAYBE he will admit it. That's nice, it's good to be able to share the hobby. My wife will still deny actual enjoyment, my IP camera says otherwise ;)

I'm also getting some good coral growth. ... enough I'm adding 2 part to my tank every week now. Here's some growth shots from the phone camera.

Here's my rainbow granulosa (Frank/surfnturf). The white tips are not glare from the lights but actual growth. It's also starting to encrust down the plug.

20150217_192119_zpsiznu93en.jpg

And here's my tri color (Frank again). It's really starting to color up under the new T5s. Every tip is growing. The stn I had issues with months back is healed completely and is growing back.

20150217_192108_zpsgne9hy6o.jpg

And then there's my war coral. It's been staying flat and not puffing out. Too much light? Thoughts?

20150217_192055_zpsfp4ms6zt.jpg

aquarium7043.png

I'm going to give you the real deal, and tell you that both of those look under colored and lacking. What lights are you running?

This is how your tri should look:

DSC_0222_zps8a43f203.jpg

This is how your rainbow should look:

DSC_0046_zpsae825b50.jpg

Bottom right. I know it's still pale, but there are some colors getting in there.

I dont want to look through my bucket to find it, but something is missing...

Tricia's pic looks overexposed, so the colors aren't true. Look at the frag plugs. Besides, I wouldn't worry so much about the color, and worry more about growth. If you're running T5, you can always tweak the look later. Adjusting exposure down or ISO down will help as well with pics. Maybe even turning off some bulbs.

So I'm currently running 6 T5 bulbs. My colors had all been browned out because I needed to update my lighting. I'm currently borrowing this fixture to see how I like it. I'm still in the process of switching out andreplacing the bulbs. I don't want to burn everything by replacing them all at once. Another option is a light fixture from Ken that's a T5/MH combo.

So Issac is right in that they don't look how they're supposed to, but they look a lot better than they did. They're really starting to color up and start getting to their true potential. But yes, the photos are over exposed as well.

I've got 3 X Blue+, 1 x Coral Plus, and the other two are old bulbs.

aquarium7043.png

So I'm currently running 6 T5 bulbs. My colors had all been browned out because I needed to update my lighting. I'm currently borrowing this fixture to see how I like it. I'm still in the process of switching out andreplacing the bulbs. I don't want to burn everything by replacing them all at once. Another option is a light fixture from Ken that's a T5/MH combo.

So Issac is right in that they don't look how they're supposed to, but they look a lot better than they did. They're really starting to color up and start getting to their true potential. But yes, the photos are over exposed as well.

I've got 3 X Blue+, 1 x Coral Plus, and the other two are old bulbs.

aquarium7043.png

Got it! You will like the t5. I saw a burst in color and growth, even with old bulbs. The rainbow grows fast with pale tips, I always felt like the zooxanthellae was catching up.

Looking great Tricia, I agree with Isaac though that the colors look pale.

Although I don't think it's your lights at all.

Nutrients are too low (PO4 & NO3 = 0). If you are running carbon and GFO stop the GFO. Cut carbon in half.

Colors will be like Isaac's coral in few months!

Once I get all the new bulbs in, this is what I'm going for front to back...

BP

CP

BP

CP

BP

BP

Looking great Tricia, I agree with Isaac though that the colors look pale.

Although I don't think it's your lights at all.

Nutrients are too low (PO4 & NO3 = 0). If you are running carbon and GFO stop the GFO. Cut carbon in half.
Colors will be like Isaac's coral in few months!

Ryan, the nitrate is currently at 20. I've been feeding pretty heavy!  My nitrate is still fluctuating.  I'll have spikes of 20, and then it'll go down to 10.  Rarely below 10.  And the phosphates aren't at 0....they're just below 0.25.  My crappy API test kit doesn't show anything below that.  I don't think they're actually at 0.  I run Phosban, but it's about 1/2c.  That's not enough to fully support the tank, but just enough to keep it low.

I'm still worried about the war coral....

Which test kit are you using for nitrate?

For Phosphate I recommend a Hanna ULR Checker. I agree the API test kits are not very good.

Which test kit are you using for nitrate?

For Phosphate I recommend a Hanna ULR Checker. I agree the API test kits are not very good.

Same.  API.  I have like a dozen API test kits that are still good.  I'm trying not to waste them.  lol

• 4 weeks later...

Updates:

I'm struggling with my aqua scape. I'm not in love with it. Even after taking out some big pieces.

If anyone wants to come redo it for me, I'll throw in a Nats ticket and some food/drinks at my place beforehand.

aquarium7043.png

National tickets. Man if I only had the time. Post some current pics of the set up and I can talk you through a few things.