Have you seen my jawfish?

wangspeed

Go away for a week on work travel, and of course stuff goes awry. First, my skimmer goes nuts 3 days into my trip, and Piper27 has to come rescue things at my house, since my wife almost refuses to deal with the skimmer, although she very kindly emptied it the first time it overfilled. Looks like the venturi clogged, because I cleaned it after I got home, and it is back to normal.

Next up? My jawfish is missing. Totally missing :sad: No sign of fish jerky. He's been gone for almost a week now. He's never missed a meal before. Can't find anything in the overflow. Tank has mesh cover that my wife doesn't even move. This all probably started because my brittle star decided to occupy his home, and kick him out. He's since been moving from place to place in the tank. The brittle star takes weeks to move from one location to another. Guess this stressed out poor Jaws.

11743055745_a0d892a206_b.jpg

The brittle star is reasonably large. I don't see any fishy remains near the hole though. Generally I see the green brittle get a bad rap. Mine is black.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same problem. I went out of town for a week with my neighbor feeding my fish. When I got home I couldn't find my Jawfish for a long time and I didn't see any remains either. About a month later I found him dried up behind the furnace about 6 feet away from the tank. I never said anything to my neighbor, I just assume they forgot to put the top on one day after feeding.

He was my favorite fish and I'll be getting a new one soon.

• 1 month later...
(edited)

My aquarium and stand are up against a window, so I can't really see the backside. Today, my lineatus smacked the mesh really hard, and I thought he might have lifted it up enough to get out. I went looking for him, and found my jawfish instead. The lineatus swam up a few minutes later after recovering from smacking the lid.

I guess the lid isn't very heavy, and jawfish are long but narrow. Maybe he knocked it hard enough to squeeze through. Ironically, I had never seen him jump or act skittish up until he disappeared. I thought maybe it was a non-issue with 24" height or something. Wrongo!

Edited by wangspeed

That's amazing that you had a lid and everything and still he ended up on the floor.  Sorry about the loss.  Rimlessness is something that really limits the fish I'm able to have.  My next tank will not be rimless.

My aquarium and stand are up against a window, so I can't really see the backside. Today, my lineatus smacked the mesh really hard, and I thought he might have lifted it up enough to get out. I went looking for him, and found my jawfish instead. The lineatus swam up a few minutes later after recovering from smacking the lid.

I guess the lid isn't very heavy, and jawfish are long but narrow. Maybe he knocked it hard enough to squeeze through. Ironically, I had never seen him jump or act skittish up until he disappeared. I thought maybe it was a non-issue with 24" height or something. Wrongo!

Oh that sucks. I'm sorry!

That's amazing that you had a lid and everything and still he ended up on the floor.  Sorry about the loss.  Rimlessness is something that really limits the fish I'm able to have.  My next tank will not be rimless.

(IM) Innovative Marine makes little plastic brackets that sit on the rim so you can put a piece of glass, or a framed screen on top. I have 4, 2 on each side, but it is only a 16g so not too large.

(IM) Innovative Marine makes little plastic brackets that sit on the rim so you can put a piece of glass, or a framed screen on top. I have 4, 2 on each side, but it is only a 16g so not too large.

You have a link to these?  I have a rimless tank and might be interested in something that works better than just laying the screen on the top and having it slide around.

Here's the mesh and clips for innovative marine nuvo aquariums.  BRS doesn't sell just the clips: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/nuvo-aquarium-mesh-screen-lid-clips-innovative-marine.html

Not Innovative Marine, but here are a few knock-off clips: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-Aquarium-Clear-Plastic-Glass-Cover-Clip-Support-Holder-6-12mm-/390730385607?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5af95888c7

If you type "clear fish tank cover clip" into the ebay search window you'll find a number of similar products.