Who make the best Razor Scraper (one with a handle)?

HD sells wide scraper blades with short handheld plastic mounts. Works great. Just wish they made the blades in stainless steel, but they don't; so, I buy the ten pack, rinse in fresh water and dispose after a few uses. The Kent blades are inferior and don't hold up but I like the long handles.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/aquarium-glass-Stainless-Steel-Algae-scraper-blade-Cleaner-Razor-coralline-/181481809820?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item2a4128a79c

$16 allegedly stainless, sure why not. I'll let you guys know how it works out. It also looks like it uses Comercial ly available blades :)? It's clearly a rip off of an ADA product, but who cares that crap is a rip off anyway and it's got a decent design.

Jason,

I bought one too.  Hope it is not a total piece of crap.  But like you said $16.  Worth a try.

Bruce

http://www.ebay.com/itm/aquarium-glass-Stainless-Steel-Algae-scraper-blade-Cleaner-Razor-coralline-/181481809820?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item2a4128a79c

$16 allegedly stainless, sure why not. I'll let you guys know how it works out. It also looks like it uses Comercial ly available blades :)? It's clearly a rip off of an ADA product, but who cares that crap is a rip off anyway and it's got a decent design.

Lowes sells a 4 inch wide razor scraper. About 6 bucks

Is it stainless steel?

replacement blades are, the body is heavy plastic.

Is everyone just super careful with these razor blades they don't scratch the glass? I wanna get one but petrified I'll scratch the tank

I'm with epleeds on this.

Mag float with an ez scraper super glued on.  I've had mine for years and it cuts through coralline with ease never scratched the glass yet.

I'm with epleeds on this.

Mag float with an ez scraper super glued on.  I've had mine for years and it cuts through coralline with ease never scratched the glass yet.

A lot of us like this option, but Jason (the OP) required something with a lot lower profile than this gives.

I built this in about 15 minutes a few years ago and use it 3 times a week.  There is a rubber band in the tube and a small stainless hook that keeps the blade in the slot.  (not shown in the picture)

I can change the blade in seconds.  I coat the blade with "Vaseline" and it lasts a month or two.

IMG_2004.jpg

Edited by paul b

this thread should be called, "Let's make a mountain out of a molehill". 

The OP is lazy :tongue:  and wants to invent a way to clean the tank in an unusual fashion that has already been solved in a less than unusual (and extremely simple) way.

I had to build that because my corals grew to close to the front glass and the magnet doesn't fit there any more.  This allows me to get between the glass and corals.

• 2 weeks later...

I got mine today and I love it.  It is perfect.  It is like 26" long and can get behind corals that are very close to the glass.  The only question is - will it rust?  Only time will tell.  It is supposed to be SS.

Bruce

gallery_965_1344_71227.jpg

gallery_965_1344_67510.jpg

gallery_965_1344_96265.jpg

gallery_965_1344_36674.jpg

Cool, rinse in fresh water after every use. I have a pair of long nose tweezers that are suppose to be SS, I don't think they are a very good grade, but I rinse them and dry them after using them and so far no rust after 2 years.