Hate to bother you all again

morgan175

My sons tank I bought a glass holes kit. That is not the problem. When I drilled it didn't go as clean as I wanted There are small chips out of the inside glass. When I installed the bulkhead and did a leak test I get a small drip. Not from where the pipe goes to the return but through the bulkhead and glass. What am I doing wrong. I finger tightened them. Thanks. I am getting frustrated with this build. I have been taking it slow but just seems like one adventure after another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are not bothering anyone, we are all learning and trying to help each other. On that note, I have never drilled one, so I can not be of much help in this topic...but I am sure someone will be shortly.

I am going to try to show you. First picture is inside tank. 878df197f95991b2cc5e1637b7b49295.jpg

The second is the chip if you can see. Don't think this is problem. f84d51f2b0d243f9e12717a2560d047b.jpg

Next where finger is that is where it leaked. Tried to take photos with phone if I need to do better please tell me152c6c2be7b7498e1fed00f354010edf.jpg

Here also is another leakf71f94bf8e23155ff81178669f6d4cd0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your rubber gasket is inside the tank right? If so i think you just have to give a quarter turn after finger tight and you will be good

Edited by John Ford

Don't get discouraged it's a simple fix. There's no pressure so it's much easier to deal with. Do as others suggested with the 1/4 turn

Be careful not to move the pipes from side to side. It is very unlikely that you will crack the glass tightening the bulkhead. It is much more likely that you will break it connecting the plumbing if you're going to break it.

The chip isn't a problem. Every drill out has those. Be sure the glass is still smooth where the gasket fits. If there are any shards sticking out you'll want to get rid of those as they could pierce the gasket. Be sure the gasket is wet when you assemble it and the gasket goes on the side with the water.

In my experience simply finger tight won't quite be enough to seal it but you don't want to crank down on it with a pipe wrench either (I've done this on very thick glass where the bulkheads are leaking). So just tighten a bit past finger tight - 1/4 turn or maybe a little more depending on how tight your finger tight is should do it.

Just FYI... next time you drill a hole drill about 75% through from the outside.  Then drill enough on the other side to create a groove.  Then switch back to the other side and finish drilling through.  This will prevent glass chips.  The trick is lining them up with a drill guide.  The drill guide can be made out of just about anything... I have used a piece of plastic from the top of a rubbermaid tote before.  Just drill a hole through the guide with the glass drill bit, then clamp it to the working surface and it will prevent the glass bit from jumping around.  A simple guide, water to keep it cool and lubricated and drilling from both sides will result in a very clean hole.

Just make sure your gaskets are on the FLANGE side. It doesn't matter if it's on the inside or outside. If it's on the nut side it will bunch up and leak.

... and, as said before, you need to tighten the bulkhead more than finger tight to put the gasket under a little compression. Another 1/4 to 1/2 a turn should do it. Be sure that all of the surfaces are clean before installing. 

on glassholes installs, I generally use silicone between the box and the inside glass. the gasket will work much better at preventing leaks this way. if you crank the bulkhead down with a wrench too tightly, you'll most likely break the bulkhead before you break the tank.