Temperature

morgan175

How do you all know what temperature your tank is at. I gave a little test today with the three digital thermometers I have. Can anyone explain all in the same tank27709431351557a69283b50c6477095e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless your stuff is lab grade and calibrated properly, there will always be a margin of error. Unfortunately, cheapo aquarium grade thermometers like those are not lab grade and cannot be calibrated properly, so just assume that 1-2 degrees is not THAT huge of a deal as long as it's consistent to one of them, LOL.

I use a lab grade digital thermometer for the real temp (at least that is what I go by). I then start a chart to see what my other big digital screen thermometer says. There is usually a 1.5 degree+/- difference. Then I know when the big one says 76.5 it really is 78.0 degrees. As the temp goes up, there is actually more of a variance with mine.

You get what you pay for in this case. Old school thermometer is better then those. Speaking from the same experience you had

I picked up this one and it is amazing! 228aa3d031e76e723d09c52ffa274492.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote

How does that work? It's not something you leave in the tank right.

I picked up this one and it is amazing! 228aa3d031e76e723d09c52ffa274492.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote

How does that work? It's not something you leave in the tank right.

Nope. I just place it in the same place I put my Apex temp sensor and calibrate it. Pretty accurate

How do you get the fish to stop swimming in order to insert the thermometer?

Start with a little slow music, give them some sweet talk, then BAM! A hammer to the head. Works every time. Not sure why they always die after that but it's a work in progress.

I keep an old fashioned bulb thermometer calibrated against a NIST standard on the shelf. I normally don't refer to it much, though, but keep it handy just in case something's off. In my experience, the digital thermometers like you show above are often inaccurate. Even two of the same model often don't read anywhere near the same. Like Duffy Geos, if I'm going to rely on a digital read out, I'll calibrate it against the bulb thermometer and then just take the difference into account when reading the temperature. Absolute temperature is less a concern when you're in the normal operating range. Stability is what you're looking for.

How do you get the fish to stop swimming in order to insert the thermometer?

I just laughed out loud at that one! Caught me by surprise!, as I am sure it would the fish!

Start with a little slow music, give them some sweet talk, then BAM! A hammer to the head. Works every time. Not sure why they always die after that but it's a work in progress.

Hahaha!