Moving from Phoenix!

My boyfriend accepted a position in Ashburn and we're making the (long) trek within the next month or so.  I'm really excited that there's such an active reefing community near DC.  We're leaving behind pretty much everything, save some nicer LEDs, wavemakers, our cars, computer, and cat.  The density of frag boutique and fish stores in Phoenix is something I'm really going to miss (I work at one here.)

I'll probably be setting up something tropical in the 100-200g range.  I'm dragging along a 4x2 steel frame and 4'MRC bio sump with me, so probably something with that footprint.  I hope to get involved with the local aquaculture and propagation groups. I'll be setting up algal cultures first thing. My interests in coldwater collection are growing and with the Bay so close, I'm sure I'll be in the tidepools too.  Going to be looking for people to hang out with, we're mid 20s into reefing, vaping, & gaming.

(edited)

Glad to have y'all coming here...

Ashburn is farther out from some of the LFs'.. But I have to say we have a prett good population of them here and in MD...

You'll find alot of hobbiest who propagate...just not on huge scale...

If you decide to join...we're having our frag fest in July (members only) but its a bunch of fun and lots of cutting and ripping,lol

Edited by smallreef

I'm looking forward to meeting you both. Enjoy the trip out. It'll be hot and humid when you get here, but don't fret. Fall will be beautiful as Spring will be as well.

We have a lot of members in the Ashburn area, so you'll get plenty of support from the community. Please consider joining us. Click on the link in my signature for one person's perspective.

Welcome to WAMAS!

Welcome to WAMAS, please join us, we are lots of fun and a very active social group.

I joined WAMAS today! Employer still hasn't given us a hard date but looking between the second and third week of July now.

If you are setting up algae cultures maybe you are in to aquaculturing fish as well as frags.  If that is the case you will find some fun stuff in the Chesapeake, but we don't have the classic tide pools like you'd find around the seashores.   

If you are setting up algae cultures maybe you are in to aquaculturing fish as well as frags.  If that is the case you will find some fun stuff in the Chesapeake, but we don't have the classic tide pools like you'd find around the seashores.   

Very much into learning to aquaculture inverts right now, with a focus on ornamental shrimp.  I keep in contact with the two guys over at Coldwater Marine Aquatics on the northwest coast, and they've been giving me some tips on scouting out and getting legal to collect from the Chesapeake for public sale.  I'm sure I'll make the travel out to a traditional coastal "beach" for tidepool hunting too though.

From what little I know, there isn't much collecting in the Chesapeake.  There are some pretty seahorses, pipefish and anems but I'm not sure the coldwater aqarium market is large enough to warrant their collection.  There aren't pretty ornamental shrimp in the Chesapeake to the best of my knowledge.  

We have a hard date! Boyfriend starts work in Ashburn on August 1st.  We are desperately selling off all our belongings, lol.

Welcome!  There are a couple of excellent stores close to where you're moving to (Fins and Feathers in Ashburn, Blue Ribbon Koi and Marine and Incredible Corals/Artfully Acrylic in the Manassas Area), Marine Scene in Herndon, and then a little bit further away you have additional stores such as Quantum Reefs in Springfield, King of Corals in Frederick, MD, and Reef eScapte and Petland in Fairfax.  Check out our LFS map to find the ones that are close to where you'll be moving to.  It's located in the About WAMAS tab at the top or linked here: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=207266575712511581020.0004979241919172bf179&ll=38.867513,-76.744995&spn=1.325851,2.90863&z=9&dg=feature

welcome to the area

We have a hard date! Boyfriend starts work in Ashburn on August 1st.  We are desperately selling off all our belongings, lol.

Welcome!  I'm also new to WAMAS, but already it's been the best investment in my entire tank system! (Also because half of my tank system was because of WAMAS).  Eveyrone here is so nice, knowledgable, and willing to share.  I used to collect down in the Florida Keys.  I had a huge school of Sgt Majors at one point (well, my eel liked the slow ones), that I had caught in various tide pools.  And I had never paid for crabs before moving up here!  Definitely let me know if you go out and find anything great in the tidepools once you get here.  I might join you for a trip sometime!

Congrats on the move and the job(s)!

Eel and a huge school of sergeant majors sounds like an awesome tank.  We're trying to find a place close to work in Ashburn right now and it's a little hard with our budget but I think we found a few that might work.  Adam will be traveling to tour the new site and see a bit of the area from 14-17, and we will be moved in by the weekend of the 26th.

I'm going to setup a nano right away so I can get it cycled and prepped.  It's this unit from NanoBox & Synergy that was featured in Reefbuilders.  I'm going to do a designer anemone & clownfish pair with a set of lily pipes & canister filter. Cant wait to meet everyone at the local stores and WAMAS events!

synergy-reef-nano-tank-6.jpg

I saw those on reefbuilders. Nanobox does nice things, one of our members who sometimes frequents here even though he's in cali now, is Brad908. He has done all his lights through nanobox, and does really nice nano tanks.

Look forward to meeting the two of you!

welcome to wamas! Like everyone above has said, it's definitely an awesome investment for your tank. And as far as collecting, I'd definitely be interested in seeing how that turns out! Could be a fun weekend down the road!

In other news... can I ask what is vaping? Are you guys really into smoking electronic cigarettes? Because that's all that google is telling me it could be.. o_O

(edited)

In other news... can I ask what is vaping? Are you guys really into smoking electronic cigarettes? Because that's all that google is telling me it could be.. o_O

Yeah, it's a big thing here in Phoenix and I'm sure parts of the East Coast too.  A battery heats a coil that's surrounded by e-liquid (vegetable glycerin & propylene glycol) that instantly vaporizes the e-liquid and releases a steam that you inhale. In practice it's like typical Egyptian hookeh but electronic & handheld.  Many people replace analog smoking with vaping, as you can step down the nicotine concentration in your e-liquid and get it in dozens and dozens of different flavors.

Edited by BadCrab

Maryland is trying to outlaw vaping. Most business have said no to you doing it on property. It is just like smoking to Marylanders. We can't smoke in public parks where I live so I'm guessing electric is also out. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Of course, a week before we leave the Element's compressor goes.  This changes a couple things, as it forces us into taking a pod-type service for the few boxes we need to take - but that also affords us more room to take things we otherwise were selling here cheap and planning on rebuying in VA.

We signed a lease for Atley on the Greenway in Ashburn, and our plane tickets have us leaving on Monday. You wouldn't know that by looking at our apartment (it looks like a fish store exploded in here.)

Of course, a week before we leave the Element's compressor goes.  This changes a couple things, as it forces us into taking a pod-type service for the few boxes we need to take - but that also affords us more room to take things we otherwise were selling here cheap and planning on rebuying in VA.

We signed a lease for Atley on the Greenway in Ashburn, and our plane tickets have us leaving on Monday. You wouldn't know that by looking at our apartment (it looks like a fish store exploded in here.)

Sorry to hear about the difficulties. It'll be good to get the move behind you, I'm guessing.

Sounds like you're moving in just a few minutes from where I used to live for over 13 years.... Welcome to the neighborhood.