Twice in a month, killed MP40

MBVette

So twice in about a month now I have had 2 of my MP40's wetsides decide to fall off the side of the glass, and while falling rip off the sticky "safety" piece that should hold them onto the side of the tank after it falls, and then fall into the sump killing the dry side.

So now I am down to 1 powerhead in the tank and am pretty sick and tired of the MP40's.  I could go buy new wetsides for about $240 each.  Or do I just cut my losses and go buy Tunze's and be done with this crap.  Im not a fan of putting any cables in the tank but Im at wits end right now.

So should i bet the drysides replaced or just start replacing them with Tunze's?  And if I get the tunze what cable is needed to hook it up to the apex?

Thanks

I have never used the MP40's, they look great just never wanted to pay for them, I have WP 25's and think they are great, they are however bigger than the MP's and have cables on the inside of your aquarium but you could buy 2 of the WP - 40's for $150-160, if I had no money issues I'm sure I would go for the MP 40's but from what I hear from other people the only benefit is the size taken up inside the aquarium and the electrical being on the exterior.

Do they ever fail and send stray voltage? It's not worth losing everything in my tank. And in the summer I don't need the extra heat transfer. Buy extra Velcro devices and get them suckers to stay put!

I just bought 1 wp-40 b/c I don't know that they will really fit in the tank w/o changing the aquascape (would have this problem with the tunze also)

so annoyed.....

after talking to epleeds I switched the order to 2 wp-25's and will see how that will work for me.  Maybe I will run 3-4 wp-25's instead of the 2 mp-40's.  But I will have to see how they fit inside the tank and then will make a decision.

If you're wetsides are falling off there must be something wrong.  

With the MP40's you have to adjust the spacer to the correct glass thickness for them to work correctly. 

That said I also just purchased 2 WP25's and am looking to get another. Sure there is risk of leaked voltage but so are my heaters, my skimmer pumps, my reactor pumps, etc.etc. That ship has sailed for me and it seems like the technology for submerged electrical cords is pretty reliable. 

Scott, don't feel bad. I have eight or so mp40s on the 265 that just about religiously used to take turns doing the same. The problem was any assortment of son of a gunly snail would crawl into the wet side prop at just the right angle along the edge and jam the propeller sending the wet side loose in the tank. After the fourth time digging up an mp40 wetside and noticing having to dislodge a snail I knew I found my problem.

I, like you, abhor wires in the tank and the monstrosity in size comparison of the alternatives but had little option as running wet side covers are equally annoying having to be cleaned so frequently on so many. Sounds like a few wp25s will do you good or maybe the new RW wireless communicating jebao pumps or for a cleaner look hold out to try the gyre pumps coming out post interzoo.

The only benefit to this is I think I might be able to run some of the W25's against my back wall.  Since my tank sits against a wall the MP's cant go back there, but I might be able to get magnet behind the tank and then slide the powerhead around until I get it into a place I want it.  (depends on how big the magnet is) So maybe this will work out well.

I took my big magnet algae scrapper and placed it under the mp 40 because I had mine fall. It since has given me no issues and also keeps the alignment right where I want it. Also check your spacer and actually get a tape measure out to measure your glass. Just my two cents

you should contact ecotech.  They have very good customer service.  As everyone else has mentioned, check the spacers.  I have had 2 MP40's for a long time.  If I ever have any issues i call ecotech.

I have recently had a lot of issues with colonesta snails getting in my wet side MP10, and sounding like a baseball card slapping against a bicycle wheel.  It's a pain to take it out, clean it, and reallign it.

I am thinking of getting a new style powerhead myself.  I am taking a 2 week vacation this summer, and don't want to risk it jamming the first day.

I have recently had a lot of issues with colonesta snails getting in my wet side MP10, and sounding like a baseball card slapping against a bicycle wheel.  It's a pain to take it out, clean it, and reallign it.

I am thinking of getting a new style powerhead myself.  I am taking a 2 week vacation this summer, and don't want to risk it jamming the first day.

You can buy those foam pads to put around the wet side to prevent this from happening while you are gone.  Just have whoever is taking care of the tank change them out every 3-4 days as they will get clogged up.  

you should contact ecotech.  They have very good customer service.  As everyone else has mentioned, check the spacers.  I have had 2 MP40's for a long time.  If I ever have any issues i call ecotech.

they told me I was SOL and need to buy a new wetside since they got wet. 

And I dont use the spacer piece b/c of the 3/4" acrylic.

You can buy those foam pads to put around the wet side to prevent this from happening while you are gone.  Just have whoever is taking care of the tank change them out every 3-4 days as they will get clogged up.  

Sad you have to do all this extra work to keep a $400+ pump (excuse the pun) from falling apart. This is why I will continue to stick with Jebao pumps and possibly tunze for the time being.

Just put on 2 WP25's to replace the MP40's for now (I know they dont create the same flow as the MP's) And off the bat the cords are bothering me a lot, but maybe I will learn to ignore it.  But only time will tell.  But these pumps seem to put some decent flow at full strength.