New to the forums!

fphipps

Hello! 

My name is Fred and I am new to the forums here at WAMAS. I plan on becoming a full member with my next paycheck, cut me some slack...this hobby is expensive!!!

I have about 15 years reptile/amphibian experience, 7 years freshwater cichlids and planted tanks, and about 5 years saltwater experience. I dove into the reef aspects of the hobby with a 20 long with a HOB filter and no skimmer at the start of my saltwater life. I failed miserably. I was adding things I did not need and adding wayyyy too much of it and was overgrown with hair algae in no time! I then aquired a 75 gallon tank with a 25 gallon sump and bought a cheap T5 light. This was fowlr tank with a dwarf lion fish, some cool inverts and a few other fish and it was great. I hadan ich outbreak that wiped everything out due to my lack of experience on how to handle marine ich.

a few months later I decided to give it another go(couldn't have an empty 75 gallon in the living room). I purchased a protein skimmer, some reactors for carbon and GFO and some RapidLEDs. Also got a great deal on some dry rock from a member here whom I cannot remember the name. Within 6 months the tank was thriving and I was hooked! I spent(and still do) hours a day researching anything and everything related.

I made the mistake of putting a pistol shrimp in that tank with about 4 inches of sand. He would cover anything on the sandbed. It was bittersweet considering I now I had a 6ft 125 gallon in my room. I had recently come into some money so it was perfect timing to set up the 125! Purchased some new Tunze 6095 pumps and an added lighting fixture and I was set! 

And here I am. The 125 is thriving and doing great! I recently switched out my Rapid LEDs for an ATI 6x80w fixture and I love it! The tank is a mix of softies,LPS and SPS. I am becoming very interested in the SPS

Heres just a few pictures.

5ycg8p.jpg

2j4zksl.jpg

2r2alfn.jpg

t67392.jpg

fcpjls.jpg

Welcome to the club

Looking good, sounds like you have had some ups and downs in this hobby already. How long have you had the 125 up and running? What kind of fish do you have?

Welcome, I am fairly new to this forum also, and new to the hobby, I don't know where you live but, I am trying to plan a cookout/picnic for some people here.check it out hope you can make it.http://wamas.org/forums/topic/66616-winchester-va-area-picnic-june-28th/

Welcome. Congratulations on the tank's success and your tenacity in getting it there.

the 125 has been running about 6 months. I used all the same rock from the 75 to avoid having to cycle too much. As far as fish go, I have a sailfin tang, yellow tang, blue hippo tang, sixline wrasse,4 PJ cardinals, a royal gramma and few blue chromis. 

I am located in Columbia Md

the 125 has been running about 6 months. I used all the same rock from the 75 to avoid having to cycle too much. As far as fish go, I have a sailfin tang, yellow tang, blue hippo tang, sixline wrasse,4 PJ cardinals, a royal gramma and few blue chromis. 

I am located in Columbia Md

Sweet another MD guy! I work in Columbia and live in Odenton so I am close by.

Welcome fred. we understand the expensive nature of this hobby. Slack is granted. With the Wamas discount you will find it pays for itself.

Welcome to WAMAS. Your tank looks nice.