Majano anemone removal

FrontosaTony

Bought some live rock with some majano and its spreading. Has anyone used th majano wand? Have one to lend me? I'm in arlington. I have read the different solutions - kalk, joes juice and the like but was hoping for a wand. I am considering DIYing a wand. Below is the link. Anyone make one before?

http://www.reefaddicts.com/content.php/270-An-Easy-DIY-Aptasia-Burner

Thks

I have used it, but then again, I invented the thing so I am kind of partial to it. :cool:

lol funny how that works, I have never used one personally, I got rid of mine using Aiptasia solution but when you look at the long term cost of what I spent on that stuff it would have probably been cheaper to buy the wand

Wand is super cool.  My aiptasia have their feet way down in the rock crevices, so I was never really able to get all of them with the wand and they ended up growing back after a couple of weeks.  QR has a wand that they can rent out, or at least they used to.  You leave a deposit with them and they'll rent it to you for a week for some zapping fun.

Alan - thanks ! I will contact QR And see - exactly what I was looking for. Anyone closer want to rent me theirs?

Just wait until you get to try it out.  It's so satisfying to see the little trail of bubbles and the smell that I now associate with fried aiptasia.  Eventually after poking it for a while little bubbly chunks start rising up into the water and leaving.  I assume that they weren't viable to form another anemone, so I wasn't particularly careful about getting them all.

I use a 1M mixture of sodium hydroxide (lye) and distilled water, just make sure you turn off all your flow and then let the stuff sit for about 20-30 minutes after you apply it. Search sodium hydroxide mojano and you will find a how to. Make sure to wear gloves!

Mike

I use a 1M mixture of sodium hydroxide (lye) and distilled water, just make sure you turn off all your flow and then let the stuff sit for about 20-30 minutes after you apply it. Search sodium hydroxide mojano and you will find a how to. Make sure to wear gloves!

Mike

Lye or calcium hydroxide (kalk)? Lye is fairly soluble in water and will very rapidly disperse - even without pumps being on. There is no "letting it sit." However, calcium hydroxide (better known as lime or kalk powder) is relatively insoluble and is often used to kill off pests like majano, aiptasia, etc. Mix it up as a slurry and apply it carefully using a syringe. To keep it from blowing around, you turn off all the circulation in your tank first.

I was using lye, I gave up on using kalk it wasn't working well enough for more. I would use a syringe and apply the solution near the mouth of the pest anemone. It makes almost like a slurry that you want to sit on what your trying to get rid of. Some of it dissolves into the water, but the slurry like stuff will sit on a horizontal rock until you remove it. Works great, took me about 4 weeks of treatments to get rid of all my asptasia.

I was using lye, I gave up on using kalk it wasn't working well enough for more. I would use a syringe and apply the solution near the mouth of the pest anemone. It makes almost like a slurry that you want to sit on what your trying to get rid of. Some of it dissolves into the water, but the slurry like stuff will sit on a horizontal rock until you remove it. Works great, took me about 4 weeks of treatments to get rid of all my asptasia.

Interesting. I have nearly 16 pounds of food grade lye. Mixing it with water results in a highly exothermic reaction, giving off enough heat to melt plastic. It's also extremely soluble, making a very dense solution. (A 1M solution of NaOH is not a slurry, but a liquid solution.) Consequently, it will drive pH up in a tank as vigorously as muriatic acid will drive pH down. Lye is used in making soap and is also used as a drain cleaner. It is highly caustic. Where did you get the idea to put it on Aiptasia?

Sent from my LG G-Pad 8.3 Google Play Edition

I'm not at all surprised that it would kill, though. I'll have to check it out sometime. Thanks for the unusual tip.

Now that I think about it, the lye solution must be reacting with the Calcium and magnesium in the salt water to form magnesium hydroxide and calcium hydroxide (kalk). The to why you get what appears as a slurry that settles when dispensing it. This probably also protects from a sudden pH spike. Since it basically turns into Kalk when it hits the water, it should be at least as effective as that method.

Here is the article were I found out about using lye. I hope I can post this...

http://www.reefscapes.net/articles/breefcase/aiptasia_control.html

In the article, the author talked about 1N, 2N, and 3N aqueous sodium hydroxide (lye) solutions. I figured that met 1M, 2M, and 3M concentrations in my rodi water. You are correct that it puts off heck of a exothermic reaction when you are mixing it. The lye is fully dissolved in solution, not until it comes into contact with tank water does it turn a opaque white glob kinda thing. I've had great luck with this stuff, because I can blow it into small crevices in the rock to get to those pesky asptasia.

Wow.  I don't have as much lye as Tom, who must be making soap or biodiesel or both, but I have a pound of it and some mixed up solution that I re-use over and over to make pretzels until it gets too dark brown.  I should try squirting a little bit into my budding aiptasia farm.

Alan, I was using the lye to try to develop a more efficient process to regenerate DI resin. Got it at lyedepot.com.

Mike, I'm going to have to give this a try on some pesky and hard to eradicate palythoas.... This may be the key. :cool:

(edited)

I have to ask, dont your pepermint shrimp eat them?  Mine chow down anytime i add one to the tank on a frag or something like that.

aiptasia no clue if they eat majano

Edited by Jim Mc

My peppermint shrimp never seemed to leave their spots under the rocks. They were supposed to be the kind that eat aptasia, but didnt seem to.

I have used Joes juice to eradicate Majano anemones. It works great. squirt it in their mouth and they shrivel up.

I just found out about the Lye thing a couple weeks ago and I happen to have like 32 lbs of it I think. I was curious if any of our locals tried this as I wasn't quite willing to put this in the tank without being 100%.

We got in one of the wands to test in our service accounts.  It worked "okay."  A bit labor intensive and didn't eliminate mojano or "pest" zoas and palys.  We got a new product in called zaptasia and we are quite happy with the results.  It is like "joes juice" and all the others in application but the product is very different. 

$13 or $14 and enough product to kill 1,000 pests.  We are all out right now, but will have more in a few days... happy to give you a sample from our store use jar.