47 year old tank

sen5241b

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, not really.  Anything that would kill it would kill my other corals and leathers of which I have many.

I never really liked SPS anyway and the only reason I have any is because years ago people were arguing with me that my tank was to dirty to grow them.  Then they grew all over the place.  There have been three things in the past 10 or so years that let me have less and less of them up until a few weeks ago when I cut out a lot of sponge and killed many more of them.

My sponge is here in this article.

https://reefbuilders.com/2018/04/02/five-reasons-sponges-are-bad-for-a-coral-reef-tank/

• 2 months later...
  • Jul 6, 2015  (Yes this was an old post.  What can I say?  I ran out of things to say)
  •  
I don't have the nicest tank on here.
I don't have the nicest of a lot of things, but I don't care because they are nice enough for me.
I don't have the most difficult corals on here, but it is not my purpose to have that.
I don't have the most interesting fish on here, but they are interesting enough for me.
I have no ideas what my parameters are. I assume my corals know and they seem fine.
I don't have any controllers or dosers. Don't want any.
I don't have any test kits. If I want something tested, I take It to a LFS. They like doing that.
I don't have the largest tank on here. It's a perfect size for me.
My lights are way underpowered. I don't care and so far, neither do the corals.
I don't have a sump. I would, but they were not invented in the 70s
I don't use any reactors, GFO, GAC, ABC, Doh Ray Me, or bio pellets.
I don't use Rowafas.
Don't have a DSB, SSB, or BB.
I don't use Purple Up, Marine Snow or almost anything else and I don't want to.
I have to many fish, they don't seem to mind the crowd.
I have to many Pod eaters, they send out for Pizza.
I am jealous of some tanks on here, but I will get over it.
I don't have the most hair and I am far from the best looking on here. My wife likes me.
I don't change much water, but I assume I change enough.
I have plenty of iron and stainless steel in my tank. Is that scary to anyone?
I sometimes feed my fish Plaster of Paris with some minerals mixed in. Am I bad?
I used copper for years in my tank and never changed the rocks or gravel.
I have never dated a Supermodel but I did date some beautiful girls. Also some plainer ones with nice personalities.
I use dolomite for the substrate, ever heard of that?
My wiring is probably some of the sloppiest on here. And I am an electrician.
I am impressed by some of the skill on here with spawning hard fish.
I am impressed by creativity, but not by degrees unless they are on a thermometer.
Right now I am embarrassed to say I have a fever, which is a Sissy disease and I may have to revoke my Man card. Fevers are so yesterday and Sissy Mary like. Maybe I am hallucinating which is why I wrote this useless thread.
I am finished, and I am old, There is no purpose to this post that I know of. :huh:

Its a hobby, enjoy it for yourself, no one else

• 1 month later...

This fireclown is getting better with age,  Unlike me.

Here he is today at about 30 years old.

Fireclown.JPG?width=undefined&height=und

This is what he looked like a few years ago.  Notice the "bags" under his eye.  He (or She) doesn't have that any more. 

Fireclown.jpg?width=undefined&height=und

I just picked up this cool fan tail filefish.  It is kind of rare and I think the guy made a big mistake on the price because it was fairly cheap.   The owner gave me the price so i didn't say anything. :biggrin:

File_fish.JPG?width=undefined&height=und

1 hour ago, paul b said:

I just picked up this cool fan tail filefish.  It is kind of rare and I think the guy made a big mistake on the price because it was fairly cheap.   The owner gave me the price so i didn't say anything. :biggrin:

File_fish.JPG?width=undefined&height=und

Looks awesome. Is that a coral eating variety? 

I am running out of room with my other hobbies so I will have to sell my steampunk stuff for about an eighth of what it sells for in an art gallery. 

I have been making live edge tables and now I am making a waterfall table. 

Very cool.  I get so many compliments on my finished table I decided to make more so I bought 5 more pieces of live edge wood.  I also have no room for these so I will probably give them away.  image.gif.619a4db2eeace9af68e5eeb16197d892.gif

212221649_NewTable.thumb.JPG.cdc21810cb3e3dc70d296db47dfec464.JPG

• 1 month later...
Today I am diatom filtering my tank........No! not for any stupid parasites as that is just silly. I decided to clean a small portion of my back glass. Like 8X8 to see what is living back there and the stuff is half an inch thick and flying all over the tank.

I don't like that and it sticks on my gorgonians so I am filtering it out. I won't clean the entire back because thats one of the secrets of a healthy tank so don't tell anyone. image.gif.170baee6020700675667f99d76b11ab3.gif

image.thumb.jpeg.8bacf431d4552173fc02c0f101c486e7.jpeg

For those who don't know what a diatom filter is......You are so young and probably watch Justin Beiber and never saw your girlfriend except on Facebook.

Diatom filters were big in the 60s and 70s which is when I got this one. I had to replace the motor a couple of times because they were built, (not very well) for freshwater and when you use them in salt, you can hear them rust.

I still have 3 or 4 of them in various states of decomposition.

I don't think I could be in this hobby if I didn't have a diatom filter although any powerful canister filter may work, just not as good.

I don't use this filter to often or long because it removes anything solid including pods, coral food and parasites which I "don't" want to remove.

And if you run gravel or a "reverse undergravel filter" as I do, this stirring up of the gravel is needed maybe two or three times a year as it gets full of detritus and although I like detritus, I don't want it clogging anything.

All of us have nose hairs ( some of us really need to trim those hairs) and those hairs are to filter air we breathe in so we don't suck in dragon flies or frogs. But if we had to many, or to thick nose hairs, we would not be able to breathe so those dragon flies and frogs would be safe but we would croak. We would also look Icky.

A diatom filter, as the name suggests is that it used diatom skeletons which are much smaller than this ---------> . <----------

They filter out things as small as a micron which is 0.0004" which is smaller than an ich parasite.
I don't use it for parasites nor do I care about parasites but if you do, a diatom filter will remove parasites from a semi bare tank of if you like quarantine tanks it will remove all the parasites from there so you wouldn't have to use medications which I abhor (That means hate)

Diatom filters use diatom powder which you dump after you use the thing and it is very cheap from swimming pool companies.
Vortex used to make them but they are out of business so I have no idea where to get them now....Sorry.

If my last working one bites the dust I will have to build one.

Hi Paul.

I've not pulled my DE filter out for years and, each time I do, it's only at your doing/inspiration.

I hope that you and yours are doing well. Post a picture of that granddaughter of yours. She's had to have grown a bit since the last time we saw a picture of her.

Hi Tom.  We are well how about you and your wife?  I will post a picture of my Grand Daughter as soon as I can.  Greta is 10 now and a beautiful little Lady.

I was interviewed on Rappin with ReefBum 2 days ago on You Tube if you want to check it out.

I have to do my morning run now and hopefully can get back to this later.

Take care.

Paul

Beautiful grandkids, Paul! I have 4 now. Karen and I retired a year ago, June. Busier than ever. Life is good.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Thats great.  I retired about 17 years ago and I feel like I am on vacation every day.  I also have a lot more money now that you don't have access to when you are working and so busy doing fun things that I may have to go back to work just so I can take a day off for myself. :biggrin:

1729902175_Meinfrontoftank(1).thumb.JPG.cc6dc7602e2eb989d1775f749363c9af.JPG

Edited by paul b

3 hours ago, BowieReefer84 said:

Belated happy veterans day Paul! Last time I logged into wamas I was on page 49 of 65.... Looks like I have some reading ahead.

Hello stranger! 

• 2 weeks later...
Dear Ma and Pa,
I am well. Hope you are. Tell Brother Walt and Brother Elmer the Marine Corps beats working for old man Minch by a mile. Tell them to join up quick before all of the places are filled.
I was restless at first because you get to stay in bed till nearly 5 a.m. But I am getting so I like to sleep late. Tell Walt and Elmer all you do before breakfast is smooth your cot, and shine some things. No hogs to slop, feed to pitch, mash to mix, wood to split, fire to lay. Practically nothing.
Men got to shave but it is not so bad, there's warm water. Breakfast is strong on trimmings like fruit juice, cereal, eggs, bacon, etc., but kind of weak on chops, potatoes, ham, steak, fried eggplant, pie and other regular food, but tell Walt and Elmer you can always sit by the two city boys that live on coffee. Their food, plus yours, holds you until noon when you get fed again. It's no wonder these city boys can't walk much.
We go on "route marches," which the platoon sergeant says are long walks to harden us. If he thinks so, it's not my place to tell him different. A "route march" is about as far as to our mailbox at home. Then the city guys get sore feet and we all ride back in trucks.
The sergeant is like a school teacher. He nags a lot. The Captain is like the school board. Majors and colonels just ride around and frown. They don't bother you none.
This next will kill Walt and Elmer with laughing. I keep getting medals for shooting. I don't know why. The bulls-eye is near as big as a chipmunk head and don't move, and it ain't shooting at you like the Higgett boys at home. All you got to do is lie there all comfortable and hit it. You don't even load your own cartridges. They come in boxes.
Then we have what they call hand-to-hand combat training. You get to wrestle with them city boys. I have to be real careful though, they break real easy. It ain't like fighting with that ole bull at home. I'm about the best they got in this except for that Tug Jordan from over in Silver Lake . I only beat him once. He joined up the same time as me, but I'm only 5'6" and 130 pounds and he's 6'8" and near 300 pounds dry.
Be sure to tell Walt and Elmer to hurry and join before other fellers get onto this setup and come stampeding in.
Your loving daughter,
Alice ��

• 2 months later...