47 year old tank

sen5241b

Rubber Frog.  So did I,,Thanks. 

Oh Nooooo. Dead fish!!!!!

My wife and I came back from Costco a little while ago and when I looked in my tank!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAhhhhhhhhh, I saw something yellow sticking out from under a rock....... My yellow tang......Dead!!!!

OMG, I never have a dead fish. What will I do....My reputation is shot and I will have to go and eat worms, maybe stick my head in the dolomite at the bottom of my tank...

Then as I reached for the net, I realized........I don't have a yellow tang.

I looked closer and noticed, it was a mangrove tree leaf. I am baby sitting 4 mangrove plants in my tank for someone and I guess a leaf fell off.

Oh Well, catastrophe averted.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 5 weeks later...
I got a Covid shot for my wife yesterday at Walgreens but OMG I never seen people work so slow in my life. Her appointment was for 1:00. We got there a little early at 12:30 because we don't exactly live across the street.
There was an older guy there giving someone a shot and were were next. The guy giving the shot gets up and leaves. He didn't say anything to us and there was no one else there.

We are waiting like 20 minutes and I see someone working there so I asked her whats up?

She told me "He went to lunch". He didn't see me standing 3' from him for half an hour and he couldn't tell us he was going to lunch. I thought maybe he went outside to sell his car or start a flash mob while singing the theme song from Dr. Zhivago.

Then he came back and it was about 1:15 so he is 15 minutes late. Maybe he had a little gas and wanted to digest.
I watched him and I never saw anyone move so slow. He finally started to fill the needle at 2:00.
At 2:15 he finished filling the needle. Maybe you have to fill it one drop at a time.

Then he started carrying the needle towards us, closer,,,,closer,,,,one step at a time,,,Then he turned around and went back behind the counter.
Maybe he got an offer on his car.....

At 2:30 he slowly, and I mean slowly started to walk back. This time I walked next to him in case he fell.

He sat down and asked my wife some questions like her birthday which was on the form in his hand that I filled out last week.

He lifted the needle and aimed it at my wife's arm and,,,and,,,My wife asks him a question. I said NNNNNnnnnnnoooooooo. Forget that. Just give her the shot..........

He wants to answer the question.
3:15 we were on our way home so it only took about 3 hours for a 15 second shot. You younger people will be in the 75 year old range when they get around to giving you the shot.

1928762748_LongNose.jpg.e2523907a41a7ea71a56885a699f859d.jpgFilefish.jpg.940dfe4358410f749754c106f3772b99.jpgSPOTS.    Oh NNNooooooo,,,, Spots.  It's horrible.  

No not on my fish, don't be silly my fish are immune.  I took my new Jeep to breakfast with my main squeeze and from all the snow there is ice all over my windows and the car is just full of spots.  Most of them are salt and I can't just wipe it off because it will scratch and it is to cold to use the hose.  image.gif.6caecba5515a25b1eb40782498eba9a1.gif

The two fish I added last week are fine.  The long nose butterfly is best friends with my copperband but the filefish seems to be a loner.  He loves picking on the mulm at the sides and back of the tank. image.gif.28b972bf04a26dfa1dc015c5e3b5b5f2.gif

image.gif.6caecba5515a25b1eb40782498eba9a1.gifimage.gif.6caecba5515a25b1eb40782498eba9a1.gifimage.gif.6caecba5515a25b1eb40782498eba9a1.gifimage.gif.6caecba5515a25b1eb40782498eba9a1.gifimage.gif.6caecba5515a25b1eb40782498eba9a1.gif

I can't believe it, just now I saw a gecko goby in my tank.  I haven't seen that fish in 6 or 8 months.  I may have two of them.  I bought two of them about 5 years ago and it is a fish that stays well hidden and I have never seen the entire fish.  I only get a very quick flash of a tail when I shoot some worms near his cave in the back of the tank.

They are a beautiful fish, but no one sees them

For the last week or two I was a little disappointed because I couldn't find any of my randalls gobi's and one of my Bangai cardinals.

I was just working behind the tank and found them both.  They are pregnant and fine.  So this week I found my Gecko gobi, 2 randalls gobi's and my bangai cardinal.  My tank had a lot of caves and hiding places so it is very hard to find certain types of fish. 

Rainsfords_zpstf6vgzs5.jpg

I don't know why they can't make these things last longer.  I just had to replace the fan on the left.  I don't know how long it wasn't working but you can see that it is much cleaner then the one on the right so maybe it never worked.

I have a few of these broken lights so I have a nice supply of fans.

I had to add a new fan but also the wiring to the fan didn't work so I just had to splice the new fan to the old one.

It's not a big deal but shouldn't happen.

?hash=32b2a3c107efce091ab45c7be26f8064

064.thumb.JPG.f7901f8888a72074a410558e4acbce28.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

This morning like every morning I took a walk.  I walk about two miles so it's not like I will be entering the Olympics or anything.  It was 23 degrees and it was just before the sun came up. 

All of a sudden I got this uncontrollable urge to do the Macarana and I twisted my knee.  One of my knees was replaced a while ago with aluminum or "Mastic". (some kind of fish food copperbands are supposed to like but I am guessing)

I almost fell down as it was a little painful and I contemplated calling the paramedics just because I wanted to see if they had a helicopter.  Then I realized it wasn't that bad so I limped home and put some of that "heat rub" stuff on the knee.

Now everyone knows none of that stuff ever does anything for pain but it smells so good.  I have a few different kinds, some smell like pine trees, some like cedar and some like camphor so I use all of them at the same time. 

I am still in pain but I smell like a forest filed with mosquito repellent which is kind of refreshing. 

2014-08-07071514_zps151988f1.jpg

I know what you mean about the smell, Paul. After using my menthol muscle rub, I'll just bury my nose in my hands. Refreshingly cool. But you can get nearly the same effect outside at 23 degrees! Stay warm and be safe.

That picture was in the summer on Montauk.  I didn't have a picture of today on that computer so make believe it is snowing and I am being chased by a walrus while drinking a hot chocolate with a little rum in it. :)

I made another video.  It's not exactly Steven Speilberg.   The butterflies are best friends and that 6 line is spawning.

1866859924_CopperLongNose.thumb.JPG.409bb5922f8d0f7b418925866df531c4.JPG

Hoppo.thumb.JPG.5ea517c0826aea7929b9e927cc7a082e.JPG

874720539_6Line.thumb.JPG.5f5c150e82bc2381fe1648b6baf826bc.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Today is Palm Sunday and tomorrow is Vietnam Veterans Day.

History of Vietnam Veterans Day

Officially designated in 2017 as National Vietnam War Veterans Day by President Donald Trump, the holiday is marked by ceremonies and celebration across the U.S. 

vietnam-veteran-salute-1800.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Beautiful day here in Long Island today so I collected 40 gallons of water behind my house.
The alk was 7 and the temp was 40. I didn't test calcium but the salinity is 1.016.
It is crystal clear so I don't have to do anything to it except warm it up and maybe add some salt.

Collecting.jpg.813b5190b96aa27f2f1d49769c3a42ff.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For people who want dragonettes like this little female Ruby Red, scooter bleeny or mandarins, just look at how many pods she can eat in a couple of minutes........Thousands a day so unless you want to go broke buying pods, an aged tank is best.

I have a pair of these, mandarins, scooters and blue stripe pipefish so many pods are essential.
I have never bought a pod in my life. image.gif.8c85700abbd1fcc04c8a3f390a0985e6.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am slowly making a big change to my tank. I have so much blue encrusting sponge that I think it is either sucking nutrients out of my water or it is adding some sort of toxin. It is beautiful and looks like light blue montipora but you can't eliminate it. You can see a milky substance come out of it when it is cut. (angelfish won't touch it)

The last time I trimmed a lot of it, I lost almost all my SPS corals and many of the Zoa's. The Zoa's are all tiny now and they were huge. My green star polyps disappeared and that stuff will grow on your piano if it's close enough to your tank.

But the good news is that gorgs and leather corals grow like crazy so maybe they like what the sponge is putting into the water or taking out.
I am slowly changing the tank over to leather corals, mushrooms, gorgonians and of course sponges. image.gif.d828e7de74c180e23440c4871d946a6b.gif

It's this stuff.
2015-04-05%2002.10.04_zpsmkjbgsvt.jpg?wiproxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fhosting.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fhh270%2Furchsearch%2F.highres%2F2015-04-05%252002.10.04_zpsmkjbgsvt.jpg%3Fwidth%3D1920%26height%3D1080%26fit%3Dbounds&hash=44d7eb0dac08a865dd8b20300bf4495d