DuffyGeos 300g DT & 8 TANK FISH ROOM

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tagging along. Fantastic build!

Thanks! I am so excited to get this thing going!

This build is just ok, but I guess I'll follow ;)

Add another couple of inches on the gym side for a beer ledge...

Trying to make it flush, but will probably have to have a 1/8" piece of trim around the top.  That is what the cup holder on my bike if for!

This build is just ok, but I guess I'll follow ;)

Thank you! YOU can sit on my stand anytime, jump on it if you want.

Thank you! YOU can sit on my stand anytime, jump on it if you want.

It has to be a good stand if I can do that!

(edited)

Sure you could!...If you went bare bottom ;) LOL

Ummmmmmm.. Marine grade plywood top with the 1/2" Neoprene pad that you recommended :huh:

Set up is looking good, so far the tank is a complete dream!  Thank you Adam, great job!!!!

Edited by DuffyGeos

Hahahaha.....it's been a long day. U r right

You are the man building all those massive tanks. What was the size and dim. of the one you were trying to get my little frag tanks out of there so you could fit it in your shop? I saw that beautiful 600g tank, what a work of Art.

And what do you mean a long day, it is only 8p...you are just hitting your stride, tell me it is late when it is 5a Sat.

HAHA! Thanks =).  The tank I needed space for is beginning soon.  Just got materials in (special order sheets).  Tank is a 750 Gal.  120x48x30.

My day started at 8am today after ending at 3am ;).  But you are right....I am now hitting my stride  :clap:

But I want to see pics of YOUR tank on the stand :gho: .  I should have given you a crash course on photobucket when you came to pick up your frag tanks.  It actually hit me about 30 minutes after you left lol.

HAHA! Thanks =).  The tank I needed space for is beginning soon.  Just got materials in (special order sheets).  Tank is a 750 Gal.  120x48x30.

My day started at 8am today after ending at 3am ;).  But you are right....I am now hitting my stride  :clap:

But I want to see pics of YOUR tank on the stand :gho: .  I should have given you a crash course on photobucket when you came to pick up your frag tanks.  It actually hit me about 30 minutes after you left lol.

Wow, 750g 10' long, if only I decided to cut a new window in the basement I could have headed that way. Pics probably tomorrow once my wife gets a break. We got a lot done today, took tons of pics.

Here is the tank stand. Used the 9.5' x 3.5' PSL's to get the open span below the tank. It is set up with 6" x 6" corner posts  and the PSL's are the beams. There is also a drop beam at the wall which allows the platform to cantilever into the gym by 8".

gallery_2633915_1398_114203.jpg

All the joists are also PSL's. Stand needs to hold the tank, water, rock, sand, and me climbing around on it. Actually factored in two people climbing around on it. I also wanted the largest open space I could make for a sump and any other equipment.

gallery_2633915_1398_12976.jpg

All four posts are set on anchor plates that are drilled into the concrete and secured with an anchor set in adhesive. The entire stand will be painted or covered in a composite wrap, so I am not that worried about the aesthetics on the wood and plate right now.

gallery_2633915_1398_80424.jpg

Wow.  Can I hire you to just build the cabinet doors for my sump?  Compared to this it should be an easy project!  Ok, plus some trim replacement, but still.  

THIS LOOKS AMAZING!  

All four posts are set on anchor plates that are drilled into the concrete and secured with an anchor set in adhesive. The entire stand will be painted or covered in a composite wrap, so I am not that worried about the aesthetics on the wood and plate right now.

gallery_2633915_1398_80424.jpg

Now you're just showing off...

First test fitting for the tank! Tank is 8' long (9' with both exterior overflow boxes). Then we checked to see how the tank will align with the walls and the ceiling. Ceiling seems to be slightly angled. Drops 3/8" over the run of the front of the tank. We then found out we would have to remove part of the gym ceiling to add blocking to support the new wall that follows the top of the tank where it is cantilevered. I also have one section of the drop ceiling that will come into play where the new top wall has to turn. I know this would have to be designed around as we were setting it up, but this was the best position for the tank with regards to the space inside the room on both sides of the tank.

gallery_2633915_1398_33834.jpg

This pic gives a better view of the flat stand space inside the room. I mocked up a space to make sure I could touch every square inch inside the tank with my hand. That is also one reason I picked a 24" deep tank. When the wall is run right up next to the stand it will cover the 5" section of black acrylic to the right of the overflow boxes (acrylic with paper still on them). The black acrylic is there so that when everything is put together you will not see the overflow pipes from the gym.

gallery_2633915_1398_54401.jpg

(edited)

This shows how far out the tank will be "floating" into the room. Just the 10" of beam below it, and the wall will follow the top outline of the tank when it is done. The tank will be pushed up all the way to the edge of the beams. So in this picture the tank will be moved forward about 12".

gallery_2633915_1398_25660.jpg

Edited by DuffyGeos

Wow.  Can I hire you to just build the cabinet doors for my sump?  Compared to this it should be an easy project!  Ok, plus some trim replacement, but still.  

THIS LOOKS AMAZING!  

Thanks! We can do cabinet doors. One other option is someone like Tart Lumber in Sterling. They are building a bunch of doors for us right now on a project. They are actually cheaper since they are set up to do it day in and day out. Everything we do is custom.

Now you're just showing off...

Just doing what I love! I love the detail work. I know down the road I will walk into that room and look around and smile instead of saying" I wish I had". 

Nicely done! A hellava header you got going there too!

Thanks for the idea Jack!

The header is that way since I want it very strong when we add the return headers to the existing wall, so I can lean up against it if I need to when working on the tank.