DuffyGeos 300g DT & 8 TANK FISH ROOM

Not since the frag table has been installed, I need to install a water mixing station, shelving for 4-6 QT/Hospital tanks, put my 40" x 24" utility sink and fridge back in, add a counter top to the top of the sink and fridge....I was also just looking a small portable washing machines to wash rags and filter socks.

Long list of tanks :) seems like you've thought of everything! I kind of forgot to plan for a QT Tank in my build.... I might put it under the display tank... but then maintaining it would be pita.... the other option is to put it on a shelve... but not sure how it will hold.

How are you planning to install the shelving? would it be one of those shelving units that seat on the floor? or something you are going to mount on the wall?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Long list of tanks :) seems like you've thought of everything! I kind of forgot to plan for a QT Tank in my build.... I might put it under the display tank... but then maintaining it would be pita.... the other option is to put it on a shelve... but not sure how it will hold.

How are you planning to install the shelving? would it be one of those shelving units that seat on the floor? or something you are going to mount on the wall?

Tried to plan ahead as much as possible. One thing I want to try to do is to not allow any bugs or diseases in the display tank. So I plan on QTing all the corals and fish.

The shelves will all be custom so I can maximize space. They will be sealed wood that is bolted to the floor and screwed to the wall so I won't have to worry about anything tipping.

Tried to plan ahead as much as possible. One thing I want to try to do is to not allow any bugs or diseases in the display tank. So I plan on QTing all the corals and fish.

The shelves will all be custom so I can maximize space. They will be sealed wood that is bolted to the floor and screwed to the wall so I won't have to worry about anything tipping.

Since we are still in the beginning of a build, I have questions:

1. Are you going to paint your stand in any waterproof material?

2. Are you planning on dipping or just QT fish and coral?

3. Are you looking at automatic water changes?

We are looking at an sump below tank but a refug above tank where live pods can transfer without being killed by pumps.  What are you doing?

(edited)

Since we are still in the beginning of a build, I have questions:

1. Are you going to paint your stand in any waterproof material?

2. Are you planning on dipping or just QT fish and coral?

3. Are you looking at automatic water changes?

We are looking at an sump below tank but a refug above tank where live pods can transfer without being killed by pumps. What are you doing?

Thanks for looking!

1- the stand is made out of PT Pine and the top is Marine grade plywood. We are going to paint it, and/or wrap it with composite material.

2- Full QT for both. Going to follow the Marco QT program

3- I would like to do automatic water changes, not sure how, which system.

Looking at a sump and probably a refugium, not sure if it is going to be in the sump or above it yet. Still have options.

Edited by DuffyGeos

I've never quite understood the point of putting the fuge above the tank to drain in. Well, what I mean is, sure, pods will just flow into the tank and not get hurt, yes, that makes perfect sense. However, whether they're alive or freshly minced, my fish will eat them in seconds after hitting water. So what's the difference?

I've never quite understood the point of putting the fuge above the tank to drain in. Well, what I mean is, sure, pods will just flow into the tank and not get hurt, yes, that makes perfect sense. However, whether they're alive or freshly minced, my fish will eat them in seconds after hitting water. So what's the difference?

To tell you the truth, I have never done it, and I will have to defer to more intelligent "whole pod" feeding pros. I think you have a valid point, really don't know.

I've read somewhere that the pump shouldn't kill the pods

So the free flow from a tank above the DT would not matter. I would think that they would not necessarily get shredded. They may get a little dizzy with the impeller...... ;)

With the gigantic pods that I am growing, I think they do get shredded. However I see it as good food for LPS :-)

Show off......... ;)

Show off......... ;)

I wish I was kidding. I just replumbed the bulkhead in the frag tank and when I drained it, there was a ton of them squirming on the bottom. Including the mother of all pods. It was at least 1/3", maybe half inch. It's the kind that looks like little baby shrimp or something. So I promptly fished it out and one of the anthias had a nice snack.

Anyhow, I think I'm stealing your thread at this point. When's this baby gonna see water!

(edited)

I wish I was kidding. I just replumbed the bulkhead in the frag tank and when I drained it, there was a ton of them squirming on the bottom. Including the mother of all pods. It was at least 1/3", maybe half inch. It's the kind that looks like little baby shrimp or something. So I promptly fished it out and one of the anthias had a nice snack.

Anyhow, I think I'm stealing your thread at this point. When's this baby gonna see water!

Glad to hear the pods are doing great.

Still have a lot of plumbing, and buildout. I will probably get the frag tanks up and running before the main tank.

Is that one of my 3 Anthias you stole from me? ;)

Edited by DuffyGeos

I wish I was kidding. I just replumbed the bulkhead in the frag tank and when I drained it, there was a ton of them squirming on the bottom. Including the mother of all pods. It was at least 1/3", maybe half inch. It's the kind that looks like little baby shrimp or something.

Stuff I've dipped from you did have particularly large pods fall off. I remember being impressed.

No rush on the water, Ken. Keep slow and steady, planning, and doing it right!

Stuff I've dipped from you did have particularly large pods fall off. I remember being impressed.

No rush on the water, Ken. Keep slow and steady, planning, and doing it right!

Slow and steady...not a problem.

Yea I got some cheato from Andrei and it was squirming with life

Yeah John at BRK was the one who introduced us to the gravity fed pod refug above the tank.  I am still not sure how it all works etc as we are not there yet but everything he said made sense and others agreed after asking about it. 

Thanks! for the info. 

Yeah John at BRK was the one who introduced us to the gravity fed pod refug above the tank.  I am still not sure how it all works etc as we are not there yet but everything he said made sense and others agreed after asking about it. 

Thanks! for the info.

I have seen a lot of set-ups with the fuge up high so it can free flow into the DT. I would just like to know the difference and why it is better.

Anyone?

I have seen a lot of set-ups with the fuge up high so it can free flow into the DT. I would just like to know the difference and why it is better.

Anyone?

Although it seems like a cool idea, I don't think it's one I would put at the top of my list in planning stages. If folks are doing it for pods, you can do the same thing stuffing rubble in your sump, or back of your tank. I would worry and spend time on water changes, plumbing, and equipment.

Although it seems like a cool idea, I don't think it's one I would put at the top of my list in planning stages. If folks are doing it for pods, you can do the same thing stuffing rubble in your sump, or back of your tank. I would worry and spend time on water changes, plumbing, and equipment.

I like the idea of providing pods for the fish as a random snack. Whether they are 100% alive, or just had an adventure through an impeller, I don't think would matter.

I am thinking of putting a refugium in my sump, I think I will have enough space.

Neoprene padding package arrived today! 1/2 thick neoprene for under the 300g tank and the 2 frag tanks. Just need to get the rest of the woodwork done.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the frag tank stand. it is designed to hold the 2 frag tanks Adam just built me. The smaller tank will be a QT tank for corals on it's only system, so I can make sure nothing gets in my system. They will get dipped and observed until I can't see anything wrong with them. Then they will get moved to the larger grow out tank. That tank will be tied into the DT and I will watch corals there until I decide if I really want it in the main tank or am I just going to grow it out for fun. It sits opposite the main tank stand.

gallery_2633915_1398_46685.jpg

The frag tank stand is designed to fit a 180g tank under it. I am not quite sure how I want to set my water tanks up, but this gives me the best options. The back of the tank stand does not have any legs since it is screwed into the stud wall in back of it. This also gives me more space. It also will not weight as much as the DT, so I still have an overkill build with a 74" span between the posts and 35" of height under the stand.

gallery_2633915_1398_53066.jpg

Another gratuitous coral shot from my 16g since this thread has no coral in it yet

gallery_2633915_1398_169986.jpg

Another gratuitous coral shot from my 16g since this thread has no coral in it yet

gallery_2633915_1398_169986.jpg

Nice!!

Nice!!

Thanks!, my 16g keeps my sanity until the 300g is built out. Unfortunately it is packed to the rim with corals and I have others babysitting about 15-20 corals.

• 3 weeks later...