Are evergrow led actually worth it?

dante411x

Assuming of course the dimmer matches the ones that can be hacked and all....

Sorry for the multi posts, it wont let me edit..

Just realized StormX is PWM so you'd need to convert that to an analog signal.

You could make your own arduino controller too which might be cheaper...havent priced out the stormx

I honestly doubt it. That would require that the 2060's and 2040's have a communications channel between them. I'm pretty sure that they don't.

you can connect multiple IT series together with the international connector so as to use only one power cable to the outlet. don't see how that would work or could be incorporated into a non IT series, though like tom mentioned.

Sorry for the multi posts, it wont let me edit..

Just realized StormX is PWM so you'd need to convert that to an analog signal.

You could make your own arduino controller too which might be cheaper...havent priced out the stormx

Yeah, I read the diy post on making those controllable and it definitely looks like it's out of my scope of knowledge. I guess I could learn how to do it.. Seems like with a few more of these "I could learn.." I'll be able to add "have a reef tank" to my resume.

you can connect multiple IT series together with the international connector so as to use only one power cable to the outlet. don't see how that would work or could be incorporated into a non IT series, though like tom mentioned.

That's good to know that I could only use one outlet when needed. Thanks

I honestly doubt it. That would require that the 2060's and 2040's have a communications channel between them. I'm pretty sure that they don't.

Yeah, i figured that if it was possible, someone else would have tried it by now. It would certainly be nice to have a three fixture set that is controlled through only one of them. I'm sure that they're made in some way different to prevent cheapskates like me from doing exactly this though :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I'm working on setting up my evergrow D120 lights this weekend (hopefully) quick question for you guys that are running them. Alittle details tank is a 225 gallon 72"x30"x24" the tank is going to be mostly SPS with some LPS.

1 how high are your lights off the water?

2 how bright do you have your lights set?

3 how many lights would you use to light the 72"x30" tank?

Thanks.

1. About 6 inches (I have a 150g with LPS and zoas)

2. Whites 50% blues 75ish%

3. I would do 4 if I were you. My tank is 60 inches by 24 inches and 24 unches deep ...and I have 3 across....2 width wise and the middle one is length wise, so for sps I'd do 4....also depend on where your supports across the top of the tank are located..

Thanks guys thanks for the replies. I was going to put 6 of them on it, two rows of three, I gusse that would be overkill. I think I'll start with 4 D120s 6" off the water. Small reef, I'm the one you bought your tank from, It's looking really good I have been fallowing your build thread.

• 3 weeks later...

Good luck

I have 2 d2040 on my standard 90 18" off the water I am very happy with them

I would wave liked the it2040 but wife said no to spending extra$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take a look at Reef Radiance LED's You may find something there that you like. Also you can talk to the owner right over the phone about lighting options and setup.

Can someone explain the difference between the d2040 and the it2040

I assume it programability, but what specifically can you do with one, that you can't do with the other

it2060 is just 6 inches wider than it2040?

If I have a controller (which I do)

can I do the same effects on the D2040 as I can on the it2040?

I assume that the advantage to 2x it2040 vs 1x it2080 is coverage? 

it2040 is 18" and it2080 is 36"?

Any and all help appreciated.

Matt

the D2040's are the same as the It2040's the D's have dimmers with no timers, I have the D2040's I wish I could have spent the extra $ for the IT's but it wasn't in my budget, I love my lights and after 2+ weeks I could already see better growth at less than 50% brightness.

I think the It's are fully programable, and you can gradually raise/lower the brightness throughout the day, i'm sure someone that has them will chime in. I know YHsublime has 2 it 2080's for sale, he's a cool dude.

I think the 2060's are 24" and the 2080's are 36" but dont quote me on that.

I have 2 x D2040's 18" above the water on my 90 gal and it's plenty of light

I have a IT2080 over my 60g, and a IT2040 over a 16g, fully programmable, not compatible with controllers, it has it's own controller, great lights, love them.  

Can someone explain the difference between the d2040 and the it2040

I assume it programability, but what specifically can you do with one, that you can't do with the other

it2060 is just 6 inches wider than it2040?

If I have a controller (which I do)

can I do the same effects on the D2040 as I can on the it2040?

I assume that the advantage to 2x it2040 vs 1x it2080 is coverage? 

it2040 is 18" and it2080 is 36"?

Any and all help appreciated.

Matt

yes, it series are programmable in that they come with a built in controller. the d2040 does not. it comes with two potentiometers. the dimensions of each are in the group buy pages along with other information to answer your questions. no, you cannot use a controller to control the d2040 or the it series fixtures at this time. feel free to PM me directly if you have any questions about these fixtures and i'll get you sorted out.

also, if interested, i'll be opening a new GB in the next 48 hours or so so keep an eye out!

• 7 months later...

For those of you using that have been ising D2040's or other's in the line, for a while now, what are your thoughts?

How have your corals responded? SPS?  Colors good?  Growth rate, etc?

i have a few d120 (v2 and 1) and have really liked them....have only had one petentiameter fail and recently had a driver fail (but had ordered an extra so easy replacement)

Corals do fine. alot depends on your mix but i found on a 36in tank 1 d120 did ok ,would grow sps just fine and zoas etc on the outskirts....when my daughters tank was running well the color were very similar to my main tank...a litlte lighter but very similar....

growth was not as fast as metal halides with same basic water conditions...

the shaded parts of the corals have no color with led, the ones under MH etc seem to have better coverage around the sticks/colonies.

I plan on adding some T5 to mine...along with the mile long list of to do's....

fans are a little loud but not too bad.....i dont care about the programmability so never bothered...min turn on and off, i can adjust the color which i like...more or less blue.

i have a bunch of spare LEDs to mess around with layout but think i have it pretty good for what i want..

would i buy again...yes...but would add some t5s.

I have four of the IT2040's over my 200DD and my dad has 2 of them over his 120. My tank has had a number of issues/equipment failure over the past year that have kept things from growing like I'd like them to. But my Dad's tank... corals have grown great since we put the LEDs on them. I think water quality matters much more than the specific type of light over the tank.

In short, very happy with them - they seem to grow corals more than adequately.

Edit to add: Also have pairs of the D120's over our frag tanks - doing well there as well!

Edited by CaptainRon

I I think water quality matters much more than the specific type of light over the tank.

This.

I have 6) D120's in blue/wite mix over the 500 and corals exploded in growth when switched from the conventional MH/T5 but have now settled down to a more reasonable growth rate. I have end-to-end full coverage though.